Low-cal but filling meals?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone has any Low cal meal or snack options that they can share, I just don't know what to buy that is filling but won't make me go over my calorie budget. Today I thought nuts were a good idea...turns out they are very high calorie! Oops! I am allergic to artificial sweeteners (and they're awful anyway) and also peanuts, so that's out. Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Stir-Fry, just use light oil or no oil.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Agree with the stir fry. Lean meats and lots of veggies.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've been doing burrito bowls lately and find them very filling. About half a cup of rice, half a roasted chicken breast, roasted peppers and onions, lots of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, salsa, plain yogurt, hot sauce, lime juice. If I have the calories in my budget I sometimes add guacamole and/or shredded cheese.

I've been using this recipe for the roast veggies and chicken!

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/02/oven-fajitas/
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Courgette spaghetti! Had it last night with lentil bolognese - swapping pasta for courgette saved me 200+ cals and I was still full from the protein in the sauce. That's a really important thing - spend your calories on protein as that is what will fill you up. I often have a protein shake as a 100cal snack that keeps me full for hours.
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg is a great snack. ALso, you don't have to eat a lot of nuts. 7 almonds plus a small piece of fruit like a plum is filling or small apple or pear.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sardines in a can, if you like them, are an awesome source of protein. 13 grams in one can of sardines! Plus full of Omega 3 healthy fatty acids. They are also cheap and easy to carry around. Just have to have breath mints for the fishy breath lol. But it's worth it because sardines pack a serious punch. With crackers and a small salad you have a healthy well rounded meal.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Lean meats. If you get 95% fat-free beef, you could do half a pound (pre-cook weight) of, say, taco meat for under 400 calories. Grilled chicken is another great option. Even regular spaghetti can be very filling for its calories if you don't add too much sauce or cheese.

Proteins are very filling in general, and complex carbs like pasta and potatoes keep you full longer than simple carbs because they digest slower.
  • ajm_uwe
    ajm_uwe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly is like 27 cals for a pint of jelly! Low calorie yoghurts are good too. For meals I use bean sprouts and bags of stir fry veg which are good and low calorie, and sauerkraut pads meals out...... absolute best bang for buck is protein fluff which can bloat you out for a couple hundred calories. ......
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I like to cut a cheese stick into 4 pieces and then wrap each piece in a slice of deli meat (so four slices....usually turkey). I will then add some pretzels, fruit (like grapes) or vegetable (like pickles or carrots) to round it out. I do this as a meal and it is about 350 cals. It is a nice filler to get me through the work day.

However you could just do the cheese and meat for around 150-160 calories or not eat everything at once and just graze through the items listed above throughout the day.
  • GrahamUK72
    GrahamUK72 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I made a chilli. Huge portions.

Chopped tomatoes
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Chilli powder mix
    Lean minced beef

Per portion, 236kcal and 4 of your 5 a day

I have it for lunch without rice or bread
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I make chicken fajita bowls using chicken, onion and bell pepper and I make a spicy fajita seasoning to stir fry it up (with about 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil)..

I use Misson carb low carb tortillia's (6 net carbs) and put them in bowls and toast them in the oven and fillup with my stir fry and cooked chicken.. you can add cheese, salsa or low fat sour cream... I usually leave these off.
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! This is so helpful! Keep it coming! :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers. Lean ground meat cooked with onions then baked in peppers. I use a bit of tomato sauce and when I have extra calories add a bit of rice and some cheese. I don't like mushrooms but you could add those too.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I second the chili, I am always full after that. Also the days where I have huge egg white omelets for breakfast I am satisfied until almost 1pm.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Last night I made zucchini noodles sautéed with garlic, tossed with roasted eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and parm. It was a huge bowl for under 300 calories.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hummus + pretzels (or celery or peppers or carrots, etc.)
    Tuna (I like the sweet & spicy one) in the pouch + a few crackers
    lean meats - (Sometimes, I grill enough for my lunches for the week)
    Mini pizza (1/2 English muffin, 1tsp marinara sauce +a couple of pepperoni's)
    Broccoli slaw (s/p/garlic powder + 1tsp olive oil) and sauté - yum!
    1/2 English muffin + PB2 + banana or strawberry slices

HTH!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My dinner was a bag of frozen cauliflower mashed with a wedge of light Laughing Cow cheese and 3 slices of deli ham. 195 calories. Another option is a bag of frozen broccoli with some grated parmesan and 3 ounces of cooked shrimp.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Ground Chicken seasoned with a plethora of spices mixed with cauliflower, carrot, and sweet potato chunks or Okra. All in a lettuce. Lettuce Wrap :D
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Im on a bit of a zoodle kick right now--Tonight I am trying zoodles with a light pumpkin alfredo, mushrooms, ground turkey, onions and sage. From what I have preplanned in MFP it should just under 400 calories :) I cant wait to leave my office!
  • JessicaSchroeder1
    Options
    Stir fry, you can add so many veggies for so little calories. Salads, add a hard boiled egg or some diced chicken, lots of veggies. homemade chili! eggs and turkey bacon. homemade soups.

Going for veggies and protein is a winner.