NYT: Yet another Barefoot Running article

Options
For those of you following the topic:

Are We Built to Run Barefoot?
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/are-we-built-to-run-barefoot/

- - - -

I admit that I am totally biased. I don't think we all need to running barefoot: my interest in the topic is more about changing one's gait to land on the forefoot to avoid excessive heel striking. That said, I haven't tried the finger toe shoes, but have been pretty happy in Nike Lunaracers and the Brooks Green Silence, both Neutral/Minimal shoes... but...heh heh not as minimal as barefoot! :laugh:

(Too much glass where I run to go barefoot!)

Replies

• shamandalie
    Options
    "Barefoot Running: So Easy, a Caveman Did It"

Urgh!

I'm pretty sure even in the stone age they made themselves some sort of shoes just as much as they made themselves clothes. Running around over rocks HURTS. lol

Not a good way to illustrate the point there!
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Here is one more thing that always makes me wonder...

So, when people discuss the barefoot running, they always quote the natural running style of Kenyans or Ethiopians which is much more efficient than our thick-shoed running.

Now, two things that I am wondering about:
    - What shape are their joints, hips and legs in once they hit 50? Shoes are helping eleviate stress from our body and while it may not be the most efficient way of running, maybe that's what we Westerners need?
    - The average life expectancy in Kenya is 55 (http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/global-health-comparison-index-kenya) - and while I know that infant mortality plays a big role in this low age and your life expectancy is much higher once you made it into your teens, I still doubt they get as old as we get (my FIL is 92). The above link shows Kenya in the high 60s while the US is in the low 80s (if you are in your 40s). Even if their knees and legs hold up well for _their_ life time. How about our much longer life time?
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    What shape are their joints, hips and legs in once they hit 50? Shoes are helping eleviate stress from our body and while it may not be the most efficient way of running, maybe that's what we Westerners need?
    Actually, because the barefoot running style promotes a form which puts less stress on your joints, people who do it have a less injuries.

However barefoot running vs. minimalist shoes vs. cushioned shoes impacting your injuries come down to one thing -- proper running form. If you have correct running form, which minimizes stress on your joints, then you won't have frequent injuries no matter what kind of shoes you wear. The difference is that barefoot running basically disallows the poor techniques that cause our bodies to break down, like heal striking. Cushioned shoes do not, if anything they promote heal striking.

I think everybody should TRY running barefoot to learn to run the correct technique -- that is, landing mid to fore foot, dropping your hips so you don't bounce, putting your hips forward and your head up, run your arms straight forward and back and don't cross, etc. When you get used to running "light" and pain-free, then you can use whatever shoes you want.

I personally love minimalist shoes. I could never go back to cushioned shoes. I get the feedback I need on my running style and my feet are protected from the elements.

Those who are running for performance might find extra advantages to barefoot running. It strengthens your toes and feet more, which gives you an additional boost .
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options

So, when people discuss the barefoot running, they always quote the natural running style of Kenyans or Ethiopians which is much more efficient than our thick-shoed running.

- What shape are their joints, hips and legs in once they hit 50? Shoes are helping eleviate stress from our body and while it may not be the most efficient way of running, maybe that's what we Westerners need?
    - The average life expectancy in Kenya is 55 (http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/global-health-comparison-index-kenya) - and while I know that infant mortality plays a big role in this low age and your life expectancy is much higher once you made it into your teens, I still doubt they get as old as we get (my FIL is 92). The above link shows Kenya in the high 60s while the US is in the low 80s (if you are in your 40s). Even if their knees and legs hold up well for _their_ life time. How about our much longer life time?

There are several peer reviewed studies that show that barefoot running puts significantly less load on your joints than running in cushioned shoes. More information can be found here:

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options

There are several peer reviewed studies that show that barefoot running puts significantly less load on your joints than running in cushioned shoes. More information can be found here:

yup - for the record the article DOES outline that the shod running and heel striking def. impart more force - the point that i had not considered before, though, is the FREQUENCY of force when running barefoot.

i'm not trying to start an argument - just thought it was interesting :wink: :flowerforyou:

and actually, the article concludes pretty much what you would think - there are trade-offs between running shod or barefoot, but at heart they really matters of running form and gait.
  • WhyWait
    WhyWait Posts: 58
    Options
    I just took up running in Vibram Five Fingers. This is after running a marathon and a few 1/2's. Have to say I love them! It's a slow transition, but I'm determined to get my miles up in them.

Recommendation - where 5 finger socks with the shoes! :-) Go slow.

Give it a try, I was so closed minded before, but now when I go out, I hate my running shoes!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I personally love minimalist shoes. I could never go back to cushioned shoes. I get the feedback I need on my running style and my feet are protected from the elements.

@shaunshaikh: hey, just being nosey - what are you running in? where did you get your VO2 max measured?
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Precisely.

Forefoot/barefoot running treats your calves like shock absorbers which is something they are good at. Heel-striking treats your hip joints as shock absorbers which is something they are NOT good at.
  • ilsie99
    Options
    yup - for the record the article DOES outline that the shod running and heel striking def. impart more force - the point that i had not considered before, though, is the FREQUENCY of force when running barefoot.

i'm not trying to start an argument - just thought it was interesting :wink: :flowerforyou:

and actually, the article concludes pretty much what you would think - there are trade-offs between running shod or barefoot, but at heart they really matters of running form and gait.

Yes. I will wait for the injury studies (if they ever are done) before commenting on that. Anecdotally, however, I do find my running to be much more enjoyable and pain free in minimal shoes. NB Minimus Roads to be exact. (Still working down to zero drop.)

I agree that running form seems to be much more important than minimalist vs maximalist shoes, but I will say that the low drop and lack of cushioning seems to have helped me properly change my gait. I have tremendous problems midfoot striking with my NB 1223's.
  • ilsie99
    Options
    double post
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am a strong supporter/believer in the barefoot/minimalist movement. To me it just all makes sense.

Running barefoot or in shoes with no cushioning teaches you how to run properly so you dont injure yourself. Cultures/countries where people grow up barefoot or in minimal shoes, have learned how to run right, and have developed the strength in their muscles & tendons to help prevent injury even if they start wearing "better" shoes.

I did get a pretty interesting lesson the other day in regards to shoes still classified as minimalist. I ran 3 miles in my vibrams, immediate swapped over to Saucony kinvaras and continued running. I felt like I was bouncing along on balloons!!! It was crazy. Even in "minimalist " shoes I felt like I was running on a spring board.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @shaunshaikh: hey, just being nosey - what are you running in? where did you get your VO2 max measured?

I run in New Balance Minimus now. I used to have Nike Frees 3.0,but they were too narrow for my feet. The minimus are still a little narrow, but much better.

I got my official VO2 Max measured at the Memorial Hermann Sports Institute in Memorial Hermann. However, I periodically check by doing the "Fitness Test" on the treadmills at the gym. It is pretty close, but it's not official.