Options

Replies

• Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I graduated HS at 89 lbs, then sometime in college I went up to 101-103 and realized that I looked a lot healthier. THEN, after college, nature took its course and my metabolism slowed but I was still eating the same so I went up to 115. Now I am back to 102 and loving it!

Btw, before you ask...no its not unhealthy for me to be 102 pounds. My BMI is 20.6. I am just short!
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I read something that said a good target was 100 pounds for five feet of height, and then five pounds per inch of height over that, so I set my goal at 145. However, if I am happy at 150ish, I may call it good.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to pick a meaningful number for most people. I think most would be better off just losing weight and looking in the mirror. When you like what you see, look at the scale. There is your goal weight.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal weight based on my doctor (who suggested around 170-175), then I did a body test at the gym on this machine and it made it clear that 170 was my goal weight because of my muscle mass (143lbs of muscle after 4 months off without any gym) and because I remembered being 170 and comfortable (unable to lose more weight) but my ex messed up with my head (my original goal was 150lbs which is clearly too low). I'm 5'8 btw.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I would suggest picking the highest weight on the BMI chart for 'Normal' and once you get there you can fine tune w/ body fat %.

Given that I was never fit, I would personally never choose my weight from high school as a goal weight. I'm more fit now at 40 than I have ever been in the past. You're 18 now so I assume that's also not how you want to choose your goal weight :laugh: !!

On a more serious note, best of luck! I wish I had been more interested in fitness when I was your age - it's great that you are doing this now! :flowerforyou: Don't wait...
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    Well I decided I want to aim to the lower range of a healthy bmi, because I'm sure once I get comfortable I will pack around ten pounds (I say that based on my own experience), and that would put me midway on the healthy range.

By the way, I started MFP when I was on the higher end of a healthy bmi (a pound away from being overweight) and I am not comfortable with my body at all.

Edit: (Not to offend anyone) I know everybody is built differently, and that bmi is a rough guide and not a divine rule book - but some people here paint a grotesquely boney picture of what they would look like at a medically healthy weight, just because they think they will never be able to get there. I find it a bit disheartening, coming from being overweight myself all my life and aiming towards a bmi on the midway of healthy...
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I dont know about this particular site....... it just told me I am underweight lol I think NOT!

"Ideal weight range is 148 - 162.8 lbs. (67.3 - 74 kg.).
    You are underweight. "
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I am also 5'2". I have been overweight all of my adult life. My Dr said she woudl be happy if I got to 170 (still would be obese) and she woudl be ecstatic if I could get to 150. I told her if I can get to 150 then I am going for a BMI in the "normal range" for me to drop into normal using the info at the Drs office I would need to weigh 135. I made that my goal.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I was about 125 in high school (many many years ago....) and weighed around 130-132 when I got married in 2000. I was very happy with the way I looked at that time, but I picked 140 as my goal weight because I know that I'm more muscular now. And my doctor told me not to go any lower because even though I could go down to 128 before I'd be underweight (according to BMI) - I'd be creating a risk factor for osteoporosis. My goal is to stay between 140 & 145 now.
  • sammeruss
    sammeruss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2, and currently 145, this makes me a size 8-10 in pants, small - Med in tops. My goal is 135, but only because I want to lose the weight off my legs, you might be very happy at 145. I hope this helps because I had the same issue when I was trying to set my goal too! I thought I would be ok at 145, but now Im there I want to tone up and lose that next 10 lbs for sure!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and female with a pretty muscular build, so I've also always weighed more than people think. When I first started trying to lose weight, I was at least 230 lbs. I selected a goal weight of 140 because I have a cousin who is the same height and has the same body type that I have, and she weighs 140 and looks fantastic. She's curvy but looks fit and healthy, and that's what I want. I'm 10 lbs away from that right now, and I'm actually quite satisfied with my overall appearance, so for me, it's less about the weight and more about getting rid of those last few inches at this point. I figure when all is said and done, I will fluctuate somewhere between 135 and 145, and I'm okay with that.

I finally have a healthy BP and other stats, I'm in the best shape of my life, and I have conquered the whole "lifestyle change" thing when it comes to eating and fitness, and that is way more important to me than a number on a scale.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's been so long since I was anywhere near a healthy weight, I went with the high end of what the BMI chart said is health/normal for my height - 159 pounds. I remember being 140-something in high school and feeling pretty good about how I looked but I'm much more athletic/muscular now so I'm not sure if that would be a reasonalbe weight range for me. So, for now, I'm working on getting to 159 and then I'll see how I feel once I get there and also get my doc's input.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor. Then she told me I WAS a healthy weight. So then I picked a number pretty much based on expected measurements associated with weight - I'd be if I wore a size 2-4. I'm a 6 now. Usually sizes are about +/- 10-12 pounds with me.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is based on my doctor's advice, the range for my height and build for a healthy BMI, and what I know I weighed in my 20's when I was "fit". As I get closer to it, I'll see if it needs to be re-examined.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I am struggling with this myself. When I started, I was 280 and 5'9". Now I am at 177 and not sure where I want to go. The smallest I have ever been was 156, so originally that was my goal. But I didn't work out back then at all. So I'm not sure it's reasonable. I have a lot more muscle now and I am not willing to give any of it up to see a smaller number on the scale. For the first time in my life, I am happy with where I am RIGHT NOW. Do I want to be here in 6 months? No! But I am happy with who I am and where I am TODAY. I have decided to keep setting mini goals. I figure my body is smarter than me anyway, so I am trying to listen to it more. I think it'll tell me when I get there :)
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Mine was to get back to the size I was before we started having kids. I currently weigh 125. The last time I weighed that was in the early fall of 2003. Still would like to drop 4-5 more lbs to truely get to where I started. :happy:
  • AlyssaDMurphy
    Options
    I asked my Doctor at my last physical what my goal weight range should be. At 5'3 she told me that I could be as high as 142. I remember being 142 and I wasn't quite happy with my body and my sugar levels were still high (I'm diabetic type 2). The last time my sugar levels were in a healthy range I was 128 lbs and so I decided to try to get there again. You can't fixate on a number though. Find the weight where you are healthy and then maintain that!
  • meparker56
    meparker56 Posts: 36
    Options
    For now I am just focusing on short term goals. Each goal is to get under the next 10 pound mark! Then when I get down some (alot) I will focus on where exactly I should be. As a teen I weighed 135, but as a woman in her 50's, that may not be reasonable. So for now, just 10 lbs at a time!! Good luck!! :happy:
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I read something that said a good target was 100 pounds for five feet of height, and then five pounds per inch of height over that, so I set my goal at 145. However, if I am happy at 150ish, I may call it good.

Uh oh...I'm under 5 ft. I'm in trouble...