books or DVDs that changed your habits

Options
Hi. What book or DVD helped motivate you to actually make changes in your eating habits? Or to start getting active?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Just Walk (Walk at Home, or Walk Away the Pounds) DVDs. I'm a klutz. Regular cardio workouts make me feel like a dunce. "Walk aerobics" is so simple that it actually allows for customization. I can add higher impact moves, use the music only option, or use an MP3 player without getting "lost."
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Books

"Cholesterol Clarity" & "Keto Clarity" by Jimmy Moore and Eric C. Westman MD
    "Wheat Belly" by William Davis MD
    "Grain Brain" by David Perlmutter MD
    "The Calorie Myth, How to Eat More and Exercise Less" by Jonathan Bailor
    "Why We Get Fat and What to do About It" by Gary Taubes
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dvds:
    Perfect Human Diet
    Fathead (after seeing Supersize Me)

Books:
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
    Cholesterol Myth
    Alzheimer's Disease: What if there was a cure?
    The Art and Science of Low Crabohydrate Living
    The G-Free Diet
    Fasano's books on celiac disease.
    Celiac Disease: the Silent Epidemic
    Wheat Belly
    Good Calories, Bad Calories
    Pure, White, and Deadly
    Why We Get Fat and What to do About it
    TNT

In the past, Tosca Reno's books opened my eyes to healthier eating (Eat Clean Diet, etc).

There are a few other books that were interesting but not life changing like Keto Power, Keto Clarity, Ketogenic Diet. Good, but I'd already seen the info before.
  • ajm_uwe
    ajm_uwe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I picked up Brain over binge on my kindle and found it really interesting.
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

For books The omnivores dilemma and Steve Maxwell's 8 week kettlebell conditioning system.

For DVDs forks over knives.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I find cookbooks with lots of vegetable and seasonal recipes to be a good way to inspire myself to get back to eating more nutrition-conscious meals if I start getting out of the habit. Years ago when I first decided to learn to lose weight I found a book by Laura Fraser called Losing It, which is really kind of anti diet, weirdly inspiring and quite sensible about healthy eating.

I do like Michael Pollan also.

For getting active, I'd recommend doing stuff vs. reading about it, but I've enjoyed reading training stuff from Hal Higdon and Matt Fitzgerald (for running), I really enjoyed a book called Fat Slow Triathlete years ago when I starting thinking about training for a tri, I love books about people going on a long bike trip or hike or the like, and I liked the New Rules of Lifting books that I've read as a nice way to start getting into weights. There are millions of options, though.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Eat to Live, Joel Furhman, MD
    Wheat Belly
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Recipes for preparing healthy foods in yummy ways are always fun. "The New Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone" was my first book for healthier eating and is still the one I consider the best place to start. It's a good book. Big! But good. :)

I tend to enjoy watching any sort of uplifting success-against-the-odds kind of movie or even movies where people struggle on their path and succeed. "The Gabby Douglas Story" is one I've watched a few times. I love that movie and think it should be shown to every 7th grader in the country. I'm throwing the trailer in just for the heck of it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZML325kL5o

Reading about anyone's successful weight loss is something I enjoy, when they talk about what they did, how they struggled, where they failed and how they succeeded. So long as they aren't just saying, "I did it this way, so everyone else should, too!" but are sharing their journey - I love those.

As I close in on losing 100, I kind of get proud of me and have more faith than ever that I'm going to lose it all and keep it off. I'm generally pretty confident and don't second-guess myself or my decisions, but seeing how many people fail or gain the weight back...it gives me pause, you know? But I'm starting to see me as my own inspiration.

I know all of this sounds very trite, but it's all true.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sports Nutrition - Anita Bean. Quite a dry school text book style book, but gave me some good habits.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Fast Food Nation
    Salt, Sugar, Fat
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed "The Lean Muscle Diet"
    and "Strong Curves" changed the way I work out. I still use it all the time
  • VivienneBorchers
    VivienneBorchers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    21 Day Fix. And the Fixate cookbook!
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. Really changed the way I think about food, even if I'm not quite on board with everything he has to say.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DataSeven wrote: »
    Salt, Sugar, Fat

Didn't change how I think about food or eat, but worth reading IMO.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Leslie Sansone Just Walk (Walk at Home, or Walk Away the Pounds) DVDs. I'm a klutz. Regular cardio workouts make me feel like a dunce. "Walk aerobics" is so simple that it actually allows for customization. I can add higher impact moves, use the music only option, or use an MP3 player without getting "lost."

^^^^^ this! have not missed a day of exercising since learning about leslie sansone.

after someone mentioned leslie in a thread, i tried the youtube walk at home quick & easy part one and was hooked. i did it and part two next day and now using her walk at home 5 day slim down dvd. in just like a week i think its been, i am up to doing three miles plus the warm up and cool down! its been awesome..

edit: food wise, i kind of already knew what i needed to do so no real book or videos used. i just basically researched on net about particular foods i would hear or read about online and so forth.
  • NicolaMichelle93
    NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole.
    One of the best nutrition/ healthy eating books I've ever read! A complete game changer and has changed the way I think about food. Amazing resource to help anyone develop a healthier relationship with food and away from dieting :)
  • wendypoloway
    wendypoloway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail And How To Make Yours Work by Yoni Freedhoff
    This book was recommended by my Dietician and it is really great - and you can use its principles no matter which diet you are using, Paleo, Atkins, Low-Fat etc.
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi. Catching up on posts, I see I haven't thanked you. Thank you for your input. It's time to get cracking now!

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Supersize Me was the first that really shocked me to what I was eating and the subsequent experiments of the McDonalds foods versus real foods in the jars. I also loved Omnivore's Dilemma, It Starts With Food, And I can't even tell the books I have read on diet and nutrition over the years...it has been too many!