Stretch marks - help!

Options
I have a bunch of stretch marks from weight gain around my thighs and I want them gone :( what do I do? What's the point of getting back in shape if these dumb things are going to keep me from wearing shorts? Does anyone have any suggestions for medications or lotions?

Replies

• daniturkeysammie
    daniturkeysammie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are a toughy. They will never go away, even with weight loss. But you can prevent yourself from getting more by maintaining or losing weight. Honestly the best thing is to realize that most women have at least some, and just be happy with yourself. No one is perfect.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Wear your shorts anyway. I'm sure you look fabulous!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    They'll fade with time. Unfortunately there are no lotions or potions which will remove them. Some fake tan might camouflage them a little. Stretch marks are part of life, most women have them and plenty of men do too. Just wear your shorts anyway!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've heard that coconut oil can help. But if nothing else coconut oil is good for your skin anyway =P
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Aww thank you guys! That is very sweet! Hopefully you're right because I live in Texas and people who don't wear shorts usually die of hyperthermia >.<
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Aww thank you guys! That is very sweet! Hopefully you're right because I live in Texas and people who don't wear shorts usually die of hyperthermia >.<

And that's during winter.

You know you're a Texan when you plan your walks according to where the shade falls.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I got my stretch marks because of pregnancy. I will never be able to wear a bikini, plus I have to wear a tanktop when I go swimming because I have them on my boobs too.

Not to be a downer, but my youngest kid is 20 years old. yes, they've faded a lot, but they are still noticeable. They are the bane of my existence, I hate them so much.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I got my stretch marks because of pregnancy. I will never be able to wear a bikini, plus I have to wear a tanktop when I go swimming because I have them on my boobs too.

Not to be a downer, but my youngest kid is 20 years old. yes, they've faded a lot, but they are still noticeable. They are the bane of my existence, I hate them so much.

I think to a large extent, though, each of us notices our own imperfections so much more than other people notice them.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

I think to a large extent, though, each of us notices our own imperfections so much more than other people notice them.

Yeah, you're probably right. I still don't let my husband see me in full light, they have to be dimmed.

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to derail your thread. I'll shut up now :tongue:

• lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Stretch marks are tears in the collagen fibers in your skin and won't completely go away sadly BUT they can fade a little bit with time and proper care. Sometimes bio oil can help!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    They're scars and they're there to stay unless you have your skin removed. No creams or oils will make any difference. As time goes on, scars fade.

Wear your shorts. You don't have to cover your scars or hide from the world. All kinds of people have them and they go on with their lives.

Except for your friends and family - who won't care about your scars - nobody really cares about your legs, anyway.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Palmers Body oil. Rub it in really well. Works great!!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks around my thighs since my weight loss - I'm basically learning to love them and see them as my 'battle scars'. I fought HARD for these marks.
  • CatherineHillin
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Learn to love them.
  • FrejaHetty19
    FrejaHetty19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of stretch marks from weight gain around my thighs and I want them gone :( what do I do? What's the point of getting back in shape if these dumb things are going to keep me from wearing shorts? Does anyone have any suggestions for medications or lotions?

My friend also got large stretch marks on her thighs and stomach through weight gain - she used coconut oil and the appearance improved dramatically, but also she lost a few stone through swimming and now they have virtually disappeared! I think different skin's react differently to things. Trial and error - good luck! X
  • CatherineHillin
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Yeah, you're probably right. I still don't let my husband see me in full light, they have to be dimmed.

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to derail your thread. I'll shut up now :tongue:

Hey, it's fine - what am I going to do with this much attention anyway? :tongue: Looks like everyone here is giving us the same advice: maybe keep them moisturized with oil or cocoa butter or something, but they're here to stay nonetheless, so learn to love them. I mean, how ashamed should anyone really be of pregnancy stretchmarks? You've brought another life into the world! That is awesome! And I'm sure anyone who saw them would think the same, or wouldn't care.

It's kind of a funny thing...I get so self-conscious about so many things, but sometimes while I'm out I'll see that exact thing on another person, like pale chubby legs in shorts (This is Texas, so EVERYONE wears shorts all the time) or acne, or whatever, and I won't care AT ALL. So why would they care about me? Food for thought....
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    OP - they will fade with time. I have a few on my hips from going through a growth spurt as a teenager (almost 40 now). They're not very noticeable, I have to intentionally look for them to see them. If you're really self conscious about them you can see a dermatologist. There are procedures out there that will get rid of them (laser, ultrasound). If I were you I wouldn't let the stretch marks dictate what cloths I wear considering the majority of the population has them in some form or fashion. They're nothing to be ashamed of.