Caffeine tolerance reduced with weight loss?

Options
I enjoy the odd cup of tea or can of Coke Zero, but generally caffeine doesn't do anything for me energy-wise. I listen to tales of people bouncing off the walls with a sip of Red Bull with bemusement. However, the past week or so I've noticed that the Coke Zero has made me feel a bit... bouncier. So, does losing weight make you more sensitive to caffeine, or is this just me feeling coincidentally bouncy?

I did try googling this, but it's a mine field of info about caffeine as a weight loss aid, which isn't what I'm interested in.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising more?
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    When dieting, I am more sensitive to caffeine. I have to be careful not to reach for a Diet Coke in the afternoon, or I'll have trouble sleeping. Just my experience, though.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any difference. I've never been particularly sensitive to caffeine, and I'm still not after losing weight. (For reference, I have one or two cups of coffee every morning and several cups of green tea throughout the day.)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    This is purely anecdotal, but I find that I am much more sensitive to medicines/drugs/chemicals/alcohol,etc.. than heavier people I know. It takes much less for me to get drunk, Nyquill knocks me out like a light, I can only drink half of a 5 hour energy shot....stuff like that. I don't know if it's just the way I am, or if it's related to the fact that I'm small and have lower body fat than the people I've compared myself to, but I can how a lower body weight could lower your tolerance to caffeine.
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Are you exercising more?

Definitely exercising a lot more! Is that likely to make me feel more energetic in a similar way? Or cause me to metabolise it faster?
    When dieting, I am more sensitive to caffeine. I have to be careful not to reach for a Diet Coke in the afternoon, or I'll have trouble sleeping. Just my experience, though.

I noticed this a couple of times, I had my coke after work instead of during the afternoon, and had trouble sleeping those nights. But it wasn't like regular insomnia with my brain going a mile a minute, just feeling more awake.

I've made a note to not drink coke late on for that reason, just in case, and thought I'd ask here about it. Looks like there may depend on the individual, or may be down to general extra energy. More investigation may be needed. For SCIENCE! :D
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that caffeine affects me more, so yes. I presume it's the weight loss.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    purpleflux wrote: »
    Definitely exercising a lot more! Is that likely to make me feel more energetic in a similar way? Or cause me to metabolise it faster?

Well, the more I exercise, and the more weight I lose, the more energetic I feel. Doesn't have anything to do with caffeine for me. :)
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes I stopped drinking coffee because of this
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It has not affected me at all. I can drink a cup of coffee and fall asleep right after like I always could, even after 45 lbs. lost.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    It has not affected me at all. I can drink a cup of coffee and fall asleep right after like I always could, even after 45 lbs. lost.

I find I can do the same but know some who state they can not sleep if they drink more than one cup at breakfast time.