Are egg yolks good for you???

Options
2»

Replies

• zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    Haven't they really proven, ya know the incrediable ediable egg, not bad on cholesterol...
    I have heard, whats bad is what you are frying the egg in, bacon fat, or butter, big NO NO

I still eat 2 eggs every morning, keeps me full till 11am, and I love em
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Haven't they really proven, ya know the incrediable ediable egg, not bad on cholesterol...
    I have heard, whats bad is what you are frying the egg in, bacon fat, or butter, big NO NO

I still eat 2 eggs every morning, keeps me full till 11am, and I love em

That's what I've been reading. It's the bad fats in our diet that cause our cholesterol to go up not the cholesterol in the food we eat.

Of course if you have high cholesterol talk with you dr. They will help you make the best desicion for you.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    egg bumpin goin on here:drinker:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I heard it has too much cholesterol...

Okay there is more than one kind of cholesterol. I'm not a cholesterol expert, but there is good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. I'm not completely sure which eggs have, but like I said earlier, cholesterol is more tied to genetics than diet. Diet can help, but I know people who eat great and have high cholesterol and people who eat poorly and have low.

Cute eggs FC.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Now to bacon. What is the big deal about Turkey bacon:sick: I looked up a bunch of different bacons, and It seemed that Turkey bacon was 35 calories a slice and Bacon was 36 (though numbers varied most of the time it's listed by 3 slices and it said those were like 50 to 90 calories for 3 slices, so I went with a high number of 36 for 1 slice.) Yes there is more fat and sodium, but it is just sooooooo much more tasty. I can't see if you wanted regular bacon occationally where it would be that big of a problem.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Anna,

I'm with you on the bacon. The calorie difference with Turkey bacon is so small and I don't think it tastes good. I just have regular bacon every now and then. The precooked stuff (microwaveable--yea!) is so easy and a single serving is between 70 and 90 calories. Obviously high enough in fat that I don't have it every day...but low enough in calories that I treat myself every now and then.

As for eggs. They've gotten a bad rap for years and now we're being told that's there's absolutely NO corrollary between heart disease and eating eggs. If you go to the incredible egg website they site a TON of indepedent research on the subject. Additionally, almost every LEAN healthy person I know eats at least one or two a day, including the yolks.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Now to bacon. What is the big deal about Turkey bacon:sick: I looked up a bunch of different bacons, and It seemed that Turkey bacon was 35 calories a slice and Bacon was 36 (though numbers varied most of the time it's listed by 3 slices and it said those were like 50 to 90 calories for 3 slices, so I went with a high number of 36 for 1 slice.) Yes there is more fat and sodium, but it is just sooooooo much more tasty. I can't see if you wanted regular bacon occationally where it would be that big of a problem.
    3 cheers for the real stuff!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: with eggs of course:laugh: :wink: :bigsmile:
  • postalmomx15
    Options
    Eggs have been found to be very good for you. But the thing I want to address is changing up what you eat. It has been found that those who eat basically the same breakfast and lunch each day have the best weight loss. The reason is that they know portions and what is in the meal and don't even have to think about it. When you change up all the time there is more room for eating to many calories without your knowing it. I have the same breakfast every day. 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries and some cinnamon. 2 boiled eggs. I know this is right at 350 calories. It is filling and very good for me.

Have a good day, Cindy
  • greatginew
    Options
    On the rare occasions that I have bacon, I cook it on my forman grill all the fat drains away, cooks to perfection & I almost don't feel guilty eating it that way LOL :smile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Eggs have been found to be very good for you. But the thing I want to address is changing up what you eat. It has been found that those who eat basically the same breakfast and lunch each day have the best weight loss. The reason is that they know portions and what is in the meal and don't even have to think about it. When you change up all the time there is more room for eating to many calories without your knowing it. I have the same breakfast every day. 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries and some cinnamon. 2 boiled eggs. I know this is right at 350 calories. It is filling and very good for me.

Have a good day, Cindy

Studies have proving the the less you vary your diet, the more weight you lose. Because you are less likely to over indulge. When you eat something new and like it you tend to eat more of it. So lets say you plan your menus out and eat the same meals every week. You will get so you know that you are having tuna salad again next monday, so you won't be worry so much about eating more of it this monday. when we get something that is special, or a treat (say pizza) we tend to over indulge.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    DancingEgg.gif
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    DancingEgg.gif

Lauryn, I think you've cracked.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I agree with lessertess.

Egg yolks have not been proven to raise cholesterol and some studies show it can reduce it.

My trainer encouraged me to eat more eggs. I buy the omega eggs and I generally have 2 hard boiled eggs a day. I love it. Technically I am allergic to eggs but I don't get much of a reaction and so I eat them anyways.

Oh and I love omelettes with tons of veggies and low fat cheese!
  • siriusciel
    siriusciel Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have been having a hard-boiled egg every morning, but I have a hard time with the boiled yolk.. a bit dry for me and I end up throwing half of it out.. keeps me pretty satisfied having that in the AM though..

I love deviled eggs, but with the mayo I try to stay away, I suppose it is still good for you if you use light/low-fat?

Any suggestions??
  • NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been in the hospital from an operation that went wrong and ended up with a very serious infection to where it left me having to heal with it open. What the doctors and nurses suggested for me was to eat a egg every morning for the protein which protein helps heal. I understand that like anything else its good in moderation and not cooked in fat. Your doctor knows what's best for you and knows you better, wouldn't hurt to ask him or her what they believe. :heart:

Definitely do what the doctor says, but be careful because my grandfather got violently allergic to eggs after eating them every day while recovering from cancer.

That said, I looove eggs and they're a great standby for those days where you don't want to cook anything big. Just fry up some eggs, some wheat toast (put the eggs on top to eliminate the need for butter) and add a piece of fruit. Mmmmmm.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Dont worry too much about it

re read your post

I wouldnt recommend anything be eaten everyday forever.

Switch it up

oatmeal, cereal, eggs, pancakes, use whatever you like
    just know your portions and stick to them
    eggs can create cholesterol problems if you eat them everyday
    try to limit yourself

I think the cholesterol problems would really have more to do with genetic than eggs. I eat them pretty much every day and have low cholesterol. I mainly eat the eggs cause they will keep me full. If I eat a pancake I'm hungry in about an hour. You should switch up your diet so it stays balance and you get all the nutrients that you need, but I would worry more about adding fruits and veggies the rest of the day than limiting your eggs.

Ditto. :bigsmile:
  • mkeenan
    mkeenan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I figured eggs weren't too bad, but again I was looking at the nutritional label and it said eggs had 77% of your daily cholesterol intake. My eyes got huge and I was a little eerie of them. I do have eggs for breakfast, but not every day..probably 2-3 times a week. I will continue to enjoy them...especially when I add in some fat free ham chunks, diced onions, green peppers, and a little cheddar cheese - my own Denver skillet at home.

Thanks again!