Kicking my sugar addiction

Options
I've been reading about how bad sugar is for one's health. I have a sugar addiction I am committed to kick.
I'm two days sugar free. Care to join me"

Replies

• NutritionHealth4Life
    NutritionHealth4Life Posts: 90 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Awesome that you're doing great with the goal you want for yourself. I'm with you on this one. I, too, don't typically consume things with added sugar. For me, I don't like how they make me feel. Also, if I consume a lot I feel like I go through withdrawals after I stop eating or drinking them. In addition, when we consume carbohydrates they are digested into sugar which our body will use for energy or for glycogen stores. If our body doesn't use it for either of those it will be stored as triglycerides (fat) or turned into cholesterol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't "bad" for one's health, but over consumption of it can lead to excessive calories and surplus which leads to weight gain and can affect health (genetics will dictate here). Since it's highly palatable, it's basically easy to over consume. Many products on the market today have some form of added sugar in them.
    Sugar first gets broken down to monosaccharide and then absorbed. This then gets distributed throughout the body for fuel for physical activity. Any excess that's not burned off after storage, gets stored as fat.
    So it's not really "bad", but because of how many people who are overweight or obese consume high amounts of it, it's viewed as a link to weight issues and bad health.
    If you look at sugar objectively, it's consumed in other countries where there aren't obesity issues that parallel the US. They just don't consume as much per capita.
    What matters here is over consumption of sugar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TastesLikeChicken
    TastesLikeChicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Queenliz my father in law to be many years ago said it's difficult to be intelligent among ignorant people. I struggled with using the word and understand how now how it affects people in the biz. I'll concede to a psychological dependence and admit to having unresolved issues that I have used food to impact mood. Not ready to find a therapist yet. Thanks for sharing the thread. I read long enough to be late for work. Now i need to stop for a muffin.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I am unsure if you are serious or not but there isa ccouple books you can read sugar free diet and sugarbusters. It helped me a bit to break from my sugar addiction. I still have my moments but I can curb it now with healthier choices when I go too far usually. If not I go through the whole withdrawal deal. I wish you luck
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I managed to kick the habit by avoiding the vending machines at work for two weeks, after that the desire drops and I can walk past them without feeling tempted. I still have 1 sugar in my coffee and sprinkle two spoons on my shredded wheat in the morning - it is just a food after all, and not the devil that some make it out to be.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I "cured" the sugar addiction years ago.....or so I thought.

I went on a diet and cut out all sugar years ago. When I got to goal weight....guess what happened. I re-gained the weight I lost.

If being (added) sugar free is something you plan on doing forever....great!.....carry on, good luck and all that.

But, if you think sugar is truly an addiction (it's a craving, not the same thing)....and that somehow quitting sugar temporarily helps you do something more than lose weight....you're wrong. If quitting sugar is not a forever thing, then you will need to learn how to manage your cravings to keep the weight off.

All things in moderation. Lifestyle changes. This is why elimination diets rarely work. They don't give you the tools needed to keep the weight off (for good).
  • nicolevalletta
    nicolevalletta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the worst thing for you, not only does it ruin your health but it causes serious addiction on par with cocaine! I'm with you. I'm trying to be 100% added sugar free. Friend me!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here, since I see that the cocaine *kitten* has started up: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the worst thing for you, not only does it ruin your health but it causes serious addiction on par with cocaine! I'm with you. I'm trying to be 100% added sugar free. Friend me!

Please read the linked thread above.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Your body creates sugar (Gluconeogenesis) from other foods and glucose is necessary for you to live. You'll never be sugar free.

Hopefully your body doesn't manufacture cocaine.