Brown vs. White Rice - What's the Difference?!

Options
KingsGirl4
KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So I just compared labels between brown rice and white rice and the white rice was equal is not a tad lower in calories, fat AND carbs. Huh?!?! I'm confused. Can someone please explain why brown rice is supposedly better than white?

Thanks!

lundberg-rice-compared.png

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people prefer the little bit of extra fiber and protein in the brown rice. It's also a good source of some nutrients not commonly found on labels -- things like selenium and manganese.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There are small differences ....brown rice retains more fiber, protein, and fat. You can find similar differences for whole wheat vs. white bread.

"Retains" - white rice is more processed. I don't understand the whole process but basically the husk gets milled off. For every type of processing, some nutrients (macro, and micro) may get lost.

Because the differences are not huge: eat the rice you like (I choose white). For bread the differences can be larger.....I like the extra protein and fiber.....I choose wheat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I go for white too. 1g of fiber isn't worth the taste difference to me.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Glycemic Index is the reason. Brown rice is like 50/100 while White is 90/100. It's the speed at which it's absorbed which spikes your blood sugar. And how much you get out of it. I mean, cardboard has calories and burns in the same test equipment but your body sure doesn't get those calories out of it.

It's one of the biggest problems with food labeling - it's not wrong, it's just not right either. And no one has a better solution. We need an "usable calories" measurement.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    in the overall diet, unless rice consists of a high % of calories, there's very little difference. The nutrients that are added in fortified rice are even more bioavailable than the same in brown rice (there is a peer reviewed reference for that but I'm not posting it).

Well, by request by PM I tracked down the reference anyway:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Here's the raw data for all on how little is in there to be a difference anyway:

Brown:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5710/2

white:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5717/2

(the calorie counts on servings is very different, when you get to equal calories, brown has more of few essential minerals, but they are very similar overall. Coming close to "just calories" on both IMO).
  • KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    wow great info! Thanks everyone. Yes I would have to agree that I will now choose white rice over brown rice since I think the satisfaction factor scores higher for me than the fractional bit of fiber in brown rice. My rice portion is so small anyway that I think the difference is negligible.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer brown rice over white. I like the texture better and the extra fiber and protein with the slower digestion means that brown rice is a big win for me!
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I only do white rice when pressed for time. I prefer the brown as do my kids and DH.
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice. It's chewy and fragrant. I feel full after eating brown rice. White rice is much better in sushi however!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    White rice. Cooks fast and tastes good with ANYTHING. Can't say the same for brown rice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    For me it's easy. Brown rice will help me lose weight vs white rice.

Because I usually hate brown rice, and I won't eat hardly any of it. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    For me it's easy. Brown rice will help me lose weight vs white rice.

Because I usually hate brown rice, and I won't eat hardly any of it. :)
    Lol, yep. I had a friend lose on Nutritsystem for the same reason.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Minnesota Boundary Waters wild rice is the best of them all.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has more fibre and protein than white. Takes a bit longer to cook on the hob but I prefer the taste and texture of brown basmati rice, is great with a little black wild rice added too, though I think wild rice is actually a seed but has lovely nutty taste. I add 25g wild rice to 100g brown basmati for stir-fries, curries, chilli etc.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hubby mixes a little wild rice with his basmati rice.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    Glycemic Index is the reason. Brown rice is like 50/100 while White is 90/100. It's the speed at which it's absorbed which spikes your blood sugar.
    This is a key consideration for all those who eat rice, and only rice, and while in a fasted state.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is the complete food as nature designed it.

White rice is one component of brown rice with the other components removed.

Many feel that a food is superior the closer it is to natural. Brown rice is closer to natural while white rice is more processed. That processing removes some nutrients and the fiber. The fiber aids in digestion.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    Glycemic Index is the reason. Brown rice is like 50/100 while White is 90/100. It's the speed at which it's absorbed which spikes your blood sugar. And how much you get out of it. I mean, cardboard has calories and burns in the same test equipment but your body sure doesn't get those calories out of it.

It's one of the biggest problems with food labeling - it's not wrong, it's just not right either. And no one has a better solution. We need an "usable calories" measurement.

Mostly this difference applies to people with Diabetes, Pre-Diabetes, or who are predisposed to Diabetes. Something similar can be said about white vs brown breads and pastas. For people who don't need to care when their blood sugar spikes, it's probably no big deal. There are more nutrients in the whole wheat versions, but it doesn't mean the white versions are empty. There's also the view (I'm not sure if it's true or not) that whole grains keep you full longer compared to the refined counterparts. All I know is I'm hungry after a cup of white pasta or white rice, but a 1/2 cup of brown rice feels like more in my stomach. This also could be because it's less tasty and I eat it slower. Not sure.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Brown rice is the complete food as nature designed it.

White rice is one component of brown rice with the other components removed.

Many feel that a food is superior the closer it is to natural. Brown rice is closer to natural while white rice is more processed. That processing removes some nutrients and the fiber. The fiber aids in digestion.

The nutrition difference between a serving of white and brown rice can be more than rectified by one bite of broccoli or kale by the person who chose to eat white rice...

That said it would be prudent to point out to the peanut gallery just how utterly lacking in nutrition even whole grain rice (and wheat for that matter) is vs. vegetables.