SLEEP EATING

Options
I have to admit, idk what to do, I do ok on my diary! Then I get up in the middle of the night and I end up eating in my sleep its not conscious im asleep! I hsve no idea its happened until I wake up in the morning with flippin crumbs in my hair or couch!! I then go work outfor hours and it happens again! HELP!!! NO WONDER I HAVE PLATEUD

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any kind of medication that is contributing to this?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor about why this is happening.
    In the meantime, perhaps look into a child lock or something similar for fridge and cabinets? That might make it it difficult enough that you can't get into things while not fully conscious.
  • breelinda
    breelinda Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do take meds a few for depression, and one For ADD. It started after my ADD meds were bumped up but I don't know which is worse sleep eating, or being so disorganized and a scatter brain? They both stink!!
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My husband does this often, so we just don't keep food in the house. Like, at all. We get the foods that we need daily. He or I will stop at the store on the way home to pick up what we need for dinner and next day lunch prep. We rarely keep snacks or bulk sizes of anything in the house. It works for us. As a type 1 diabetic, I'm prone to sleep eating if I get lows, so it's better for me to have glucose tabs at my bedside and no other foods to binge on anyway.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too while temporarily on some medication. I'd wake up and wonder who ate half the frozen eggroll and left it on the counter for me to find in the morning. As others have said definitely talk to your Dr. and make some adjustments.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I've been known to do that too. I just don't keep easy to eat stuff around if I find myself in a phase of sleep eating. But what works for me won't work for everyone.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Please see a dr about this, it's a real issue and one that needs attention for your health and safety.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    i peeeked in your diary
    you are NOT eating enough calories during the day

@breelinda - I saw four days in a row where you had around 1,000 calories or more leftover. I'd sleep eat too ;)

Do up your calories and see your doctor about your meds. Maybe taking a different type or taking them at a different time or something will help.
  • breelinda
    Options
    Yes, I know about my diary and I guess I wasn't entering the 12 oreos or whatever Iate in the middle of the night! Or the brownie I ate in the middle of the night so then i cut way back during the day. , I have kids and that is why I have that crap The Drs want me to do a sleep study, and I just haven't had time. I don't take sleep meds. I am sick of Dr.s!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    One of the meds I take for depression has caused something similar, except I am still conscious but have very little ability to say "no". Some times I have fallen asleep with a sandwich in hand and food in my mouth. I spoke to my doctor and she suggested a new med. So far, it has really helped and I haven't had any late night binges.
  • breelinda
    Options
    I will talk to my Dr. About it, I am guessinghe will go through the risks and benefits and tell me the benefits of the depression medicine we will out way the risk of eating in the middle of the night. I have tried a few different meds and idk if he will be open to trying something else, I hsve been on this one for years, its the ADD med that has caused a problem with my sleep im thinking??
  • kshama2001
    Options
    breelinda wrote: »
    Yes, I know about my diary and I guess I wasn't entering the 12 oreos or whatever Iate in the middle of the night! Or the brownie I ate in the middle of the night so then i cut way back during the day. , I have kids and that is why I have that crap The Drs want me to do a sleep study, and I just haven't had time. I don't take sleep meds. I am sick of Dr.s!!

No, I'm not talking about not logging your sleep eating - I'm suggesting chronically undereating during the day could be leading to sleep eating. Try not making up for it the next day and just eating normally.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I'm not sure that I understand... Is having kids a requirement to have oreos and brownies in the house? Would your kids survive without oreos and brownies? What did kids do prior to the invention of oreos? Did they just eat more brownies?

Of course all of that sounds silly - because it is. You don't need to have such calorie-dense, highly-processed, ready-to-eat foods just because you have kids.

As far as your final point: You need to see doctors unless you have just as much education as they have. I'll use myself as an example... I have type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes (yes, both - i.e. "double diabetes"), Hashimoto's, and a long list of other issues. Even though I have more training than most GP's on the most important issue (type 1 diabetes), I still see a dr. The difference is that I see a dr. that actually has more training than me (an endocrinologist). See... even someone like me who has an understanding of my condition well beyond most patients still takes advantage of the expertise of others. You should too unless / until you reach a level of expertise high enough to successfully manage your conditions by yourself.
  • breelinda
    Options
    My son is under weight and is on " the spectrum" so no disrespect but he is picky about foods, and does get a reward if he eats his dinner. I was told by his pediatrician to do this. He also has behavior problems so kinda like your diabetes he is sick also, there is just STIGMA to my sons diagnosis. Because a simple blood test doesn't explain his issues. I had 4 separate opinions on my son and spent thousands of dollars on a neuropsychological exam. I am doing what works and is effective for my son, Oreos or COOKIES or sandwich meat, or bread it fruit doesn't matter, I will eat while I am asleep, I have bigger fish to fry right noe them to go have a sleep study done.
    Thanks for your opinion.
  • breelinda
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas! :)
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have had similar issues with my Ambien - sleep eating, sleep shopping, etc.

As for the sleep eating, can you keep some kind of reasonable snack in the house? I know about not really being able to think about it, I have trained myself to "rules" after 9pm. I don't buy anything online, I wait to buy tomorrow. No matter how awesome the idea looks at the time. I keep my cc in another room to slow myself down, and hopefully fall back asleep. The only reason this works for sleep shopping (and sometimes still fails), is because I know that I sleep shop, and the rule is ALWAYS wait till tomorrow.

Same thing with sleep snacking. I like to pick snacks based on a 100 cal serving. Roughly. So they won't hit me too hard if I eat them to excess. There is a fruit bowl on the counter with apples, oranges, bananas. A piece of this fruit is always ok as a snack. The little 100 cal yogurts - light/lo fat - are easy to keep in the fridge, and easy to grab in the night when I'm not thinking clearly. Granola bars - this one is iffy for me, because I find it easy to binge into the whole box. But the point is to keep several "acceptable" snacks in an easier to reach place than the oreos, so when you aren't thinking much, that becomes the default.

I hope this helps, I do understand that sleep-anything can be terrible to overcome.

• pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    -also - I agree with other people that say to make sure your needs are satisfied during the day. Don't punish yourself for the overnight behavior, how do you know how much of anything you ate anyways?

Not only make sure your nutritional needs are satisfied, but try to do it in such a way that you feel satisfied as well. Don't turn your eating into a constant feeling of deprivation. Find what you like that you can eat plenty of, and do so!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    My son is under weight and is on " the spectrum" so no disrespect but he is picky about foods, and does get a reward if he eats his dinner. I was told by his pediatrician to do this. He also has behavior problems so kinda like your diabetes he is sick also, there is just STIGMA to my sons diagnosis. Because a simple blood test doesn't explain his issues. I had 4 separate opinions on my son and spent thousands of dollars on a neuropsychological exam. I am doing what works and is effective for my son, Oreos or COOKIES or sandwich meat, or bread it fruit doesn't matter, I will eat while I am asleep, I have bigger fish to fry right noe them to go have a sleep study done.
    Thanks for your opinion.

Since you feel you must have Oreos, etc. in the house, how about locking them up at night so you can't sleep overeat them?