Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,989 Member
    Options
    I am the biggest bookworm. I will pretty much read anything, but I have a special fondness for YA Fantasy novels (Tamora Pierce, Piers Anthony, and J.K. Rowling are my faves). I'm currently reading Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle) and Divergent (only when I work out). Feel free to add! :)
  • cobwebel
    cobwebel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    cobwebel wrote: »

Bookworm here as well! Big fan of Gabriel García Márquez when it comes to magic realism. Also, love Margaret Atwood. In general a big Harry Potter, LOTR, Song of Ice and Fire, The Hunger Games fan (books first, movies/tv second). Some of my favorite books in general Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Soon to start the Outlander series. I also read books on booze/cocktail history, which is pretty random.

Such a good list! The cocktail history books sounds really interesting. My husband and I love to experiment with cocktails - make our own flavored simple syrups and bitters to play around with.

If you ever need cocktail book recommendations PM me! I am happy to tell you my favorites!
  • cobwebel
    cobwebel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    miks_6 wrote: »
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    cobwebel wrote: »
    I've been on MFP a few times before but life and stress always seemed to get in the way of sticking to my original goal. I'm working to lose weight and treat my body better each day, and would love some motivating friends that could help push me along.

I'm Molly from Chicago. I'm a huge book nerd and into a ton of geeky things.

Bookworm here as well! Big fan of Gabriel García Márquez when it comes to magic realism. Also, love Margaret Atwood. In general a big Harry Potter, LOTR, Song of Ice and Fire, The Hunger Games fan (books first, movies/tv second). Some of my favorite books in general Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Soon to start the Outlander series. I also read books on booze/cocktail history, which is pretty random.

I love your list of favorites!!

OH MY LORD! its so hard to find someone who actually likes and understands Lolita! youre amazing girl!

That is the absolute truth. I actually went head to head with a professor in college about it. It's an intense book and society has really twisted the core of the meaning.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Definitely a huge book nerd here, too! Like you, I've also done MFP before, lost 25lbs and gained it all back (and some) but definitely going to do it this time.

I'm really trying to diversify my reading right now so I've incorporated a lot more classics and fiction this year and I love it! I'm loving all these suggestions on how to still read while going to the gym. I was trying to get a couple books in a week and that stalled because of the gym so I'm excited that other people have still made it work. Right now, I try to read before work, on my lunch breaks and on the commute home but it's not enough.

Anyone can feel free to add me and if anyone wants to follow me on Goodreads, I'll give you my name if you message me! :)
  • revolucia78
    Options
    I read at least 2 - 3 hours a day. Really just as often as I can. Right now I'm reading The Martian, The Wise Man's Fear, Deathlands #112, and the 2nd in the "Empty Bodies" series.

I finished the Martian a couple of weeks back and loved it! Have you seen the movie yet? I think they did an excellent job of adapting it.
  • revolucia78
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »

I'm aiming to log my food everyday and do some sort of physical activity. It's so hard not to cuddle up with a book!

As a fellow bookworm, I can understand that! But I've found a way to channel my motivation to read into motivation to move: I only read my books while walking now. I'm so desperate to find out what happens, that I get at least 16,000 steps every day.

I wish you the best of luck sticking with your goals - it will be worth it :)

love this idea!!
  • etenuta
    etenuta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a book nerd too, but find it hard to get time when going to the gym.
    For those that read while walking, do you use a Kindle/Kobo or something?

My husband just finished The Martian, so that's next on my list.

@enterdanger - I love The Handmaid's Tale too. It's one of my favourite books :)
  • rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,989 Member
    Options
    etenuta wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a book nerd too, but find it hard to get time when going to the gym.
    For those that read while walking, do you use a Kindle/Kobo or something?

My husband just finished The Martian, so that's next on my list.

@enterdanger - I love The Handmaid's Tale too. It's one of my favourite books :)

Yeah, I use my Kindle. It makes the time go by so much faster. Sometimes I end up exercising longer than I planned because of it - which isn't a bad thing. ;)
  • chez510
    chez510 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Book worm present here too :) i love reading but i mostly read fiction. Right now im really loving epic fantasy. So authors like Patrick Rothfuss, Brandon Sanderson George R R Martin, Ryan Anthony, Brent weeks etc. I will read pretty much anything fantasy/magic related though. Growing up Harry Potter was and still is my favourite book series :) Feel free to add me anyone :D
    I read at least 2 - 3 hours a day. Really just as often as I can. Right now I'm reading The Martian, The Wise Man's Fear, Deathlands #112, and the 2nd in the "Empty Bodies" series.

Did Patrick Rothfuss ever finish that series? I know I read Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. There is a 3rd book out, but I think it is a companion novel.

Sorry for the double post. I got nerd excited.

He hasn't yet unfortunately :(
  • jcas211
    jcas211 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A day without reading leaves me stressed. I will read food labels even and some of my oldest friends remember me reading the dictionary and encyclopedias just for fun. Bookworm? Nerd? Why yes, that would be me. Reading on the treadmill or elliptical works. Just don't get so wrapped up you forget to walk when you are on the treadmill. Lol. Speaking from experience. Grace is not my middle name. Literally hit the wall.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options

Did Patrick Rothfuss ever finish that series? I know I read Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. There is a 3rd book out, but I think it is a companion novel.

Sorry for the double post. I got nerd excited.

As far as I know the next book in the series is going to be coming out in 2016. I can't wait! I just finished the 2nd one yesterday, and it was really good.
    MsMarvel27 wrote: »

I finished the Martian a couple of weeks back and loved it! Have you seen the movie yet? I think they did an excellent job of adapting it.

I haven't seen the movie yet. I bought the book first on purpose so that I could compare the two. I'm almost done with it now, and it's been one of my favorite books I've read in at least a few years.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I read a lot, particular scifi & fantasy, but other genres as well.

Currently working on Tad Williams' Shadowmarch series (so far: a bit better than Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, not as good as Otherland) and have to finish up the Imperial Radch series.

I do also like Patrick Rothfuss, George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker, Dan Simmons, Lewis Carroll, Michael Moorcock, Stephen R. Donaldson, Gene Wolfe, Lois McMaster Bujold, Stephen Erickson, Roger Zelazny, and a lot more.
  • captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bookworm too! I've been on MFP a few years back with success that lasted fairly well, however things have been out of control of late so need a reason to get back and stay on. Currently reading 'The Frost and the Fire' by Ruth Park (classic Aus/NZ author). And had a laugh over Armistead Maupins 'Babycakes'. Add me.. Help me ya'll!
  • CLEatMoulton
    CLEatMoulton Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Reading is my favorite thing to do. So yes I am a book worm. I am also new, I have been on for 13 days. :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Me too, I love reading anything that isn't nailed down ...... especially sci-fi, fantasy, whodunits, romance, comedy ..... some nonfiction (self-help books & cookbooks) There's usually 3-4 books going at the same time. The public library is my second home, too. Got these today: "Dexter Is Dead" by Jeff Lindsay, "Candy Corn Murder" by Leslie Meier, "I Know How She Does It" by Laura Vanderkam (nonfiction) and "Aging Backwards" by Miranda Esmonde-White (nonfiction). Right now I'm halfway through "The Breaking Point" by Jefferson Bass (love these Body Farm books) ....... and just started "the Sanctuary Series" by Robert J. Crane on my Nook .... the Nook resides either in my handbag or under my pillow at night (just in case I wake up)

ev5hyrby0x1r.png

Feel free to friend me .... SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME !
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This thread is so wonderful! I've always loved reading, and I basically work as a bookworm (well, I work as a manuscript editor, but close enough)! I really love it, but it's made me supersedentary (part of why I'm here), and I don't read for pleasure as much as I'd like to because I read for work all day. I did just read In Cold Blood, though, and I think I'll go on a Capote kick when I have some time off! Anyone have a favorite?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    lots of book nerds! yeay! I also am the "read everything including the back of cereal boxes" type of book nerd. I read mainly fiction and have a penchant for fantasy and the old classics and gothic horror but seriously - will read almost anything. I say almost because since I got a Kindle (due to not having any more room for books in my flat) I have to keep getting those '15 books for 0.99c' to keep me going and not broke. Occasionally I have to skip a "book" in those anthologies because OMFC they can be so badly written and full of mistakes that they make me cringe.

At the moment I don't even know the title of what I'm reading or who it's by, but there's some chick who is a descendent of Pandora angsting around a college campus in "love" with some guy who is a God but "OMG we are mortal enemies I must kill him but I love him he makes my nether regions tingle".

Yep - classy stuff.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    hahaha ....... I ask Nook for $0.00 books cuz I'm too cheap to buy any ...... unless I find an author I really like.

Let me ask y'all a question ...... when you start a book, do you always finish it ...... or if it bogs down, do you toss it across the room & find another to read ?
  • holly_alecia
    holly_alecia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    ME ME ME -- major bookworm and also NERD. :) I <3 books. I listen to audiobooks while I walk, up to an hour per day. That's pretty much the only "reading" time I get these days. Right now I'm listening to All the Light We Cannot See, before that it was Fear the Sky, The Martian, Dark Places, Armada, The Twelve/The Passage, Ready Player One, and Seveneves. I have been on a major sci-fi kick lately. :)

I also am a sort-of writer, and have a ton of friends IRL who are writers, so I am always also reading books written by my friends. Most recently this was Bad Feminist, by Roxane Gay, and currently The Last Days of California, by Mary Miller.

Anyone who self-identifies as a bookworm and/or book nerd is getting a friend request from me today. Just be warned. :)

I tried to read All the Light We Cannot See - just could not get into it! Maybe the audiobook version would be worth a go..
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I also get the $0.00 books!

I used to always finish paper books even if they were horrendous. i think the only books I have tried to read 50,000 but have never managed to finish are Ulysses and The Hobbit (yep - I know... sorry!).

Now, with Kindle I toss and move on to the next. i still tend to finish paper books even if I get a dud.