Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• aurora184
    aurora184 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely drooling.... just reading all these book suggestions LOL. Makes me want to run to my library right now (but that would probably get me into trouble since it's 11 pm.) Don't tell me you have 24/7 libraries in the USA...... I don't want to hear it LOL
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP a few times before but life and stress always seemed to get in the way of sticking to my original goal. I'm working to lose weight and treat my body better each day, and would love some motivating friends that could help push me along.

I'm Molly from Chicago. I'm a huge book nerd and into a ton of geeky things.

Hi Molly... Well, I'm from Chicago too, but now in California. I read just about anything. I tend to stray to self help books, entrepreneur books, biographies, legal and spy thrillers, historical themed books. When I need inspiration I'll go look up the bestseller list of the NY Times. Someone mentioned Clan of the Cave Bear in a previous post, and that was blast from the past. Good read! My first big book was Gone with Wind which I read at age 13. I hope to read the Harry Potter series one day...I'm sure they are way better than the movies, and I really enjoy the movies during the Christmas holidays!

Feel free to friend me, and best of luck on your MFP travels!

• GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just finished reading The Big Picture by Ben Carson. I learned quite a bit about him that makes me believe he would be a great president. I was not sure before because I worried that he had not had experience in dealing with foreign affairs. But read of his experiences traveling and dealing with foreigners as a surgeon. He also has good ideas for our country, common sense, and experience (besides medical matters) on decision making boards in leadership roles.

Now, I am reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. A sequel has been published of hers recently, but I wanted to read Mockingbird again before I read the sequel, which is Watchman I believe. I think I read Mockingbird a long time ago when I was in my teens or 20's.

So many good books to read!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    worth a shot...

do you guys have know of any books about adventure and being alone? I really need to read something insightful. Would greatly appreciate if you could recommend anything along that line, fiction/non-fiction nothing too fantasy though.
  • got2rockit
    got2rockit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    worth a shot...

do you guys have know of any books about adventure and being alone? I really need to read something insightful. Would greatly appreciate if you could recommend anything along that line, fiction/non-fiction nothing too fantasy though.

John Krakauer - Into the Wild, Into Thin Air - both good reads and based on true events.

• BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    got2rockit wrote: »
    worth a shot...

John Krakauer - Into the Wild, Into Thin Air - both good reads and based on true events.

Also The Martian. I don't know if it's insightful, but it's a fun read, and there's lots of adventure and aloneness. :)
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    Someone mentioned Clan of the Cave Bear in a previous post, and that was blast from the past. Good read!

I LOVED Clan of the Cave Bear, especially the first 3-4 books in the series, with Valley of Horses (I think that's the title) being my favorite. When the final book in the series came out a few years ago, I couldn't even get through it or follow what was going on. Such a disappointment! I might have to try again one of these days, just for that closure.
  • aurora184
    aurora184 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    worth a shot...

You might give Wild a try, written by Cheryl Strayed. I haven't read it yet but it's on my list ( lol my "to read" list)
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    Wild is good! And A Walk in the Woods. Both about long distance hiking. Wild was solo, AWITW was partly solo, partly a guy and another guy.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bookworm here. Currently halfway through Erica Jong's "Fear of Flying" as I really enjoyed Silvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" and I read this might be in a similar vein.

I'll read anything, raelly. Audiobooks are also a new particular medium of 'reading' that has allowed me to get more literary exposure whilist undertaking other activities including the dreaded cardio...
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    hlnebel wrote: »
    Anybody read Pillars of the Earth? I loooooved that book. I have the next one in the series sitting in my bookcase, just waiting for me to finish reading The Thornbirds.

I've read it. I liked it. It's not one of my favorite pieces of historical fiction... something seemed wrong to me, but I can not quite place it.

Stephen R. Lawhead is good for historical fiction too, although he gets a bit preachy.

Check out Bernard Cornwell's work. I like the Warlord series (his interpretation of Arthur). His best are probably the Saxon Tales (although the last was disappointingly short, yet still good). I can't think of one bad Cornwell work.

Right now, I'm preparing to read the Lost Tales of Mercia
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am a bookworm to but I read fiction/crime books! I am up to date with all of Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell, Ian Rankin, Stuart MacBride and a few more! I started reading Karin Slaughter books but the first five or six were brilliant! Then she seemed to fade away after she stopped writing about Grant County. I can't knit, crochet or cross stitch anymore as having problems with my right hand and arm. So reading is all I have left. o:)B)<3
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    winklerkn wrote: »
    What kind of genres/authors do you read?

I read just about anything, but mostly fiction. I love novels about dystopian societies and things with a twist of magical realism. I just started Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake".

I'm aiming to log my food everyday and do some sort of physical activity. It's so hard not to cuddle up with a book!

It's nice to "meet" everyone!

Oryx and Crake was CRAZY and sooooo good. I'm a huge Atwood fan. All the books in the series are incredible (and I heard they are making an HBO series out of them).
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    lucyloutoo wrote: »
    leadout48 wrote: »
    Welcome, book nerd here too just got done with "A Prayer for Owen Meany" John Irving is amazing like to reward myself with matching 100 pages for 2000 steps taken gives me more motivation to walk it off.

Absolutely my favourite book. I'm scared to ever reread it, or let real live book club discuss it incase it taints my memory of how good it it.

I couldn't deal with the capitalized dialogue. It was too precious. I wanted to love it so badly, and am a huge John Irving fan but that book was not one of my faves.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    One year later and I'm still trying to get over Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch," which I loved and hated in equal measure. So if you want to rant or rave about it I'm right here ready to listen.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Another bookworm here (see my username). Currently reading Elena Ferrante's "My Brilliant Friend". It's book one of a series. I don't usually read series, but it's about two girls growing up in Naples, and my mother's family is from there, so I dove in.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    jmpaterno wrote: »
    This thread is so wonderful! I've always loved reading, and I basically work as a bookworm (well, I work as a manuscript editor, but close enough)! I really love it, but it's made me supersedentary (part of why I'm here), and I don't read for pleasure as much as I'd like to because I read for work all day. I did just read In Cold Blood, though, and I think I'll go on a Capote kick when I have some time off! Anyone have a favorite?

I loved that book also. Very intense. Have you read "1984"? I could not put that book down...at all...
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    jmpaterno wrote: »
    This thread is so wonderful! I've always loved reading, and I basically work as a bookworm (well, I work as a manuscript editor, but close enough)! I really love it, but it's made me supersedentary (part of why I'm here), and I don't read for pleasure as much as I'd like to because I read for work all day. I did just read In Cold Blood, though, and I think I'll go on a Capote kick when I have some time off! Anyone have a favorite?

I loved that book also. Very intense. Have you read "1984"? I could not put that book down...at all...

Now you are talking! I'm naughtily attracted to dystopian futures covered in books like 1984 and Brave New World. I also took a comparative lit course in college that had me read books like Animal Farm which when you read it and have some historical background is fascinating.
  • SarahStartingOver
    SarahStartingOver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »

I'm aiming to log my food everyday and do some sort of physical activity. It's so hard not to cuddle up with a book!

As a fellow bookworm, I can understand that! But I've found a way to channel my motivation to read into motivation to move: I only read my books while walking now. I'm so desperate to find out what happens, that I get at least 16,000 steps every day.

I wish you the best of luck sticking with your goals - it will be worth it :)

How do you do this and not fall?
    Lol also a bookworm here, I read my nook while on the elliptical and will go 45 minutes without feeling it, but everyone asks me how I'm not dizzy doing that, not sure I'm just not. But just curious how you walk while reading, I would love to be able to master that skill.
  • Go4Me2
    Go4Me2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love reading!!