Any bookworms out there?

Options
melizabird919
melizabird919 Posts: 29 Member
edited October 2015 in Getting Started
I've been on MFP a few times before but life and stress always seemed to get in the way of sticking to my original goal. I'm working to lose weight and treat my body better each day, and would love some motivating friends that could help push me along.

I'm Molly from Chicago. I'm a huge book nerd and into a ton of geeky things.

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi Molly, welcome to these forums. You'll find most people are pretty friendly and helpful here.
  • winklerkn
    winklerkn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a book nerd too/graduated English major! What kind of genres/authors do you read? I've also tried MFP a handful of times and never seemed to stick with it very well, but I recommitted a while back and just reached my 83rd day of consectuively logging my food and exercise! What are your goals?
  • butterfly215
    butterfly215 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Molly! Just like #winklerkn, I am a HUGE book nerd and a graduated English major. I have just recommitted myself in MFP just yesterday lol. I think we will get along :smile:
  • melizabird919
    melizabird919 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    winklerkn wrote: »
    What kind of genres/authors do you read?

I read just about anything, but mostly fiction. I love novels about dystopian societies and things with a twist of magical realism. I just started Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake".

I'm aiming to log my food everyday and do some sort of physical activity. It's so hard not to cuddle up with a book!

It's nice to "meet" everyone!
  • VanMi
    VanMi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a bookworm too - and majorly into geekdom. I love console RPGs, games in general, science fiction and fantasy, and Japanese manga and anime. I also have a strange love for nineteenth century books, maybe because I'm on Gutenberg a lot....hahah! My favorite authors are Timothy Zahn, GK Chesterton, Rudyard Kipling, Terry Pratchett, Neal Stephenson and William Gibson.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I'm aiming to log my food everyday and do some sort of physical activity. It's so hard not to cuddle up with a book!

As a fellow bookworm, I can understand that! But I've found a way to channel my motivation to read into motivation to move: I only read my books while walking now. I'm so desperate to find out what happens, that I get at least 16,000 steps every day.

I wish you the best of luck sticking with your goals - it will be worth it :)
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Another book worm here!!

I've tried audio books on walks recently...quite strange.
    :)
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bookworms unite!! Do you like Harry Potter? I ask because I just found a wicked cool (nerdy) Hogwarts Running Club, and you can collect all sorts of awesome running medals based around the Harry Potter Theme. I just completed my Platform 9 3/4 race :Pjqn2pa9ffxq9.jpg
    HP2.jpg 209.3K
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My kids make fun of me because my favorite type of book is usually "chick lit" with not much substance...but for me it is a great escape. When I get the muchies after dinner, going to bed with a good book helps tremendously!!
  • Mopar88
    Mopar88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bookworms unite!! Do you like Harry Potter? I ask because I just found a wicked cool (nerdy) Hogwarts Running Club, and you can collect all sorts of awesome running medals based around the Harry Potter Theme. I just completed my Platform 9 3/4 race :Pjqn2pa9ffxq9.jpg

What is this running club you speak of?! :)

MAJOR book nerd here! I'll read anything and everything, including the dictionary/encyclopedias. Lol.
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »

As a fellow bookworm, I can understand that! But I've found a way to channel my motivation to read into motivation to move: I only read my books while walking now. I'm so desperate to find out what happens, that I get at least 16,000 steps every day.

I wish you the best of luck sticking with your goals - it will be worth it :)

This is what I do as well :) Kindle and treadmills go quite well together!
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Mopar88 wrote: »

MAJOR book nerd here! I'll read anything and everything, including the dictionary/encyclopedias. Lol.

I don't run, would biking be an option?

I am also one of those who will read anything that is available, including the back of a cereal box.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I read at least 2 - 3 hours a day. Really just as often as I can. Right now I'm reading The Martian, The Wise Man's Fear, Deathlands #112, and the 2nd in the "Empty Bodies" series.
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Molly, I'm into reading as well. So if you need any motivation or anything, feel free to add me as your friend. Every time I'm done working out I go straight into reading so I can exercise my brain.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME -- major bookworm and also NERD. :) I <3 books. I listen to audiobooks while I walk, up to an hour per day. That's pretty much the only "reading" time I get these days. Right now I'm listening to All the Light We Cannot See, before that it was Fear the Sky, The Martian, Dark Places, Armada, The Twelve/The Passage, Ready Player One, and Seveneves. I have been on a major sci-fi kick lately. :)

I also am a sort-of writer, and have a ton of friends IRL who are writers, so I am always also reading books written by my friends. Most recently this was Bad Feminist, by Roxane Gay, and currently The Last Days of California, by Mary Miller.

Anyone who self-identifies as a bookworm and/or book nerd is getting a friend request from me today. Just be warned. :)
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    VanMi wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a bookworm too - and majorly into geekdom. I love console RPGs, games in general, science fiction and fantasy, and Japanese manga and anime. I also have a strange love for nineteenth century books, maybe because I'm on Gutenberg a lot....hahah! My favorite authors are Timothy Zahn, GK Chesterton, Rudyard Kipling, Terry Pratchett, Neal Stephenson and William Gibson.

Did you read Ready Player One? So much fun -- fiction, games, virtual realities, and 80's culture trivia. :)
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    ME ME ME -- major bookworm and also NERD. :) I <3 books. I listen to audiobooks while I walk, up to an hour per day. That's pretty much the only "reading" time I get these days. Right now I'm listening to All the Light We Cannot See, before that it was Fear the Sky, The Martian, Dark Places, Armada, The Twelve/The Passage, Ready Player One, and Seveneves. I have been on a major sci-fi kick lately. :)

I also am a sort-of writer, and have a ton of friends IRL who are writers, so I am always also reading books written by my friends. Most recently this was Bad Feminist, by Roxane Gay, and currently The Last Days of California, by Mary Miller.

Anyone who self-identifies as a bookworm and/or book nerd is getting a friend request from me today. Just be warned. :)

Audiobooks are awesome. I am listening to the entire Deathlands series this way - it's really one of the best ways to get through a work day.
  • cobwebel
    cobwebel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Mopar88 wrote: »

I also would LOVE to know about this running club!!!
  • aurora184
    aurora184 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Major book addict.... I'll read everything with letters. Not really into comic books and short stories (just not enough letters LOL). I love fantasy books but I'm not picky. I'll try any good reading suggestion. Even spend vacation trips visiting the local library (OMG.... Los Angeles library..... it is huge!!!! New York library is still on my bucket list. I'm trying to lose more than 100 lbs and my name is Aurora, from the Netherlands. I'm a daily logger on MFP. Feel free to add me if you want to hang out. The more friends on MFP the more fun losing weight will become.
  • cobwebel
    cobwebel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP a few times before but life and stress always seemed to get in the way of sticking to my original goal. I'm working to lose weight and treat my body better each day, and would love some motivating friends that could help push me along.

I'm Molly from Chicago. I'm a huge book nerd and into a ton of geeky things.

Bookworm here as well! Big fan of Gabriel García Márquez when it comes to magic realism. Also, love Margaret Atwood. In general a big Harry Potter, LOTR, Song of Ice and Fire, The Hunger Games fan (books first, movies/tv second). Some of my favorite books in general Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Soon to start the Outlander series. I also read books on booze/cocktail history, which is pretty random.