Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am a huge book worm too. My kids give me so much crap about it. I read every single day. And I tend to panic if I don't have a book to read. I wonder if that is an actual fear. I will read just about anything too. My guilty pleasure is vampire novels. My all time favorite author is JR Ward.
    This is my second go round with MFP. I lost 40 pounds the first time. I am hoping to lose the same this time around.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »

I'm aiming to log my food everyday and do some sort of physical activity. It's so hard not to cuddle up with a book!

As a fellow bookworm, I can understand that! But I've found a way to channel my motivation to read into motivation to move: I only read my books while walking now. I'm so desperate to find out what happens, that I get at least 16,000 steps every day.

I wish you the best of luck sticking with your goals - it will be worth it :)

If I had a treadmill I would be the same way. I could walk and read for hours.
  • hisgirl3681
    hisgirl3681 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, I think I've found my village people! Reading through all the books mentioned brings back so many good memories. I will read just about anything, even the drug info that comes with my prescriptions. Because I'm deaf in one ear and always had lots of kids around, I've steered away from audiobooks..the kids' radar blipped every time I started to listen, and suddenly they HAD to have my attention..now that they're all mostly grown, I'm interested in using them in my walks. Looking for some new friends here!
  • lcdreams
    lcdreams Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi. Definitely a bookworm. I'm a supernatural and fantasy reader. Always listening to books in car, on iPod when cleaning, reading on phone, and print. Haven't gotten into ward books yet. I guess l should start listening and walking. Does it slow you down though unlike upbeat music?
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I'm aiming to log my food everyday and do some sort of physical activity. It's so hard not to cuddle up with a book!

As a fellow bookworm, I can understand that! But I've found a way to channel my motivation to read into motivation to move: I only read my books while walking now. I'm so desperate to find out what happens, that I get at least 16,000 steps every day.

How do you do this and not fall?
    Lol also a bookworm here, I read my nook while on the elliptical and will go 45 minutes without feeling it, but everyone asks me how I'm not dizzy doing that, not sure I'm just not. But just curious how you walk while reading, I would love to be able to master that skill.

I walk and read, it drives some people crazy because they are convinced I will walk into traffic. I'm not really sure how to explain how to do it. It's just something you do, maybe it is a practice thing? lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lucyloutoo wrote: »
    Another book worm here!!

I've tried audio books on walks recently...quite strange.
    :)

I recently started listening to audiobooks while swimming my laps. It actually works out well.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    nade0069 wrote: »

Lol also a bookworm here, I read my nook while on the elliptical and will go 45 minutes without feeling it, but everyone asks me how I'm not dizzy doing that, not sure I'm just not. But just curious how you walk while reading, I would love to be able to master that skill.

I walk and read, it drives some people crazy because they are convinced I will walk into traffic. I'm not really sure how to explain how to do it. It's just something you do, maybe it is a practice thing? lol

Just like reading and watching TV. As a kid, it used to drive my Dad nuts when I would do it. He just couldn't imagine being able to concentrate enough on either and would test me by asking me about what just happened on the TV. I could tell him exactly what was going on and even what commercials just aired.

I come from a reading family, but neither of my brothers got into it except magazines (although they both married avid readers so my sisters in law and I exchange books and titles). Both parents were avid readers although Mom mostly only had time for the newspaper and occasional magazine. When she retired, she started reading more books and now I share books with her. Dad read books constantly. His taste was mostly detective novels. I started reading early and constantly. I grew up in a small town with a large library right across the street from the schools that had grades k-9 (the high school was on the edge of town) so I had constant access. We could get a note from home giving us permission to leave the grounds to go to the library during lunch. The librarians got to know me really well and would even hold new books for me for a day or two because they knew I had read everything already. I even got permission to use the adult library a year earlier than most because I was such an avid (and advanced) reader. I really helped that my parents. librarians, and teachers all supported my desire to read. I don't remember anyone saying something was too advanced for me. They all knew that, if it was, I would get bored and put it down.

• earlnabby
    Options
    My reading tastes: all over the map. I especially love non-fiction, mostly history, biography, etc. but will read anything that promises to be interesting or a good story. The only genre I really don't like are self-help or "inspirational" books and books by people going through an existential crisis. Teach me something or give me a rip roaring story instead. Recently I have been getting into the "Maisie Dobbs" mysteries by Jacqueline Winspear. Fun mysteries taking place in the 20's and 30's between the wars.

One of the most interesting books I have read recently is "Sin in the Second City", all about the Everleigh House which was the most famous brothel in the US back in the very early 1900's. It was in Chicago and was interesting because of some of the famous men who frequented it, and historical events prompted by the actions of it's owners, patrons, and residents. It can actually be read as a companion book to "Devil in the White City" (about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and serial killer H.H.Holmes)
  • hisgirl3681
    Options
    I read all over the board too. I love mysteries, fantasy, biographies, historical fiction, historical nf, how to's, travel, really just about anything that might teach me something..a few years ago, I participated in challenge on BookCrossing, called the Olympic Challenge, which was to read one book by an author from each country participating in the Bejing Games..all within two years.That was an eye opener in many ways. I learned right off the bat that there are more participating countries than there a countries reckognized by the UN. And I was flabbergasted to find that Scotland didn't field it's own team, and so was not on my list...I read for them anyway. I also learned to not be afraid to read 'above my head.' Dead Russian writers no longer intimidate me. On a food-related note, I had to resort to reading cook books for some places...which was interesting too.
  • hisgirl3681
    Options

MAJOR book nerd here! I'll read anything and everything, including the dictionary/encyclopedias. Lol.

Love it....me too! [/quote]

Nearly 30 years ago, after looking up an "A" word in the dictionary, I just kept reading the page, and came across my favorite word ever.."Abecedarian." As I read the definition, I started laughing.. one of the meaning is, "A beginning student of the alphabet." It's one of those words whose meaning is related to how it's pronounced. Years later, when I read Lolita, dictionary in hand(which is a must, trust me), I would laugh too..whenever Nabakov sent me to the dictionary because I didn't know the word, it was the BEST word for the context. Every stinking time.
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Just like reading and watching TV. As a kid, it used to drive my Dad nuts when I would do it. He just couldn't imagine being able to concentrate enough on either and would test me by asking me about what just happened on the TV. I could tell him exactly what was going on and even what commercials just aired.

I come from a reading family, but neither of my brothers got into it except magazines (although they both married avid readers so my sisters in law and I exchange books and titles). Both parents were avid readers although Mom mostly only had time for the newspaper and occasional magazine. When she retired, she started reading more books and now I share books with her. Dad read books constantly. His taste was mostly detective novels. I started reading early and constantly. I grew up in a small town with a large library right across the street from the schools that had grades k-9 (the high school was on the edge of town) so I had constant access. We could get a note from home giving us permission to leave the grounds to go to the library during lunch. The librarians got to know me really well and would even hold new books for me for a day or two because they knew I had read everything already. I even got permission to use the adult library a year earlier than most because I was such an avid (and advanced) reader. I really helped that my parents. librarians, and teachers all supported my desire to read. I don't remember anyone saying something was too advanced for me. They all knew that, if it was, I would get bored and put it down.

You get me. When my sister and I were kids I would go to my corner and read and she would go through great lengths to try to distract me. Never was able, it drove her bonkers.

In school, teachers didn't really get me, I was highly advanced at the shall we say "ghetto" school. So once I got bored in math class from not being challenged (which would usually be a few weeks in) I would start keeping myself entertained by reading (it was either that or napping) my math teacher (who read from the book) would then try to test me by asking me what she just said and I would repeat it, and correct any mistakes she made. Actually I am not being fair, my English/French teacher for 11th and 12th grade got me and my computer sciences teacher as well. They challenged me as best as they could under the circumstances and didn't give me grief when I went off to do my own thing.

Seems like you had a lot of encouragement to read and that makes me happy. My dad was absolutely fanatical about making sure that I read, when it looked like my sister and I were loosing interest he went to great length to make sure we kept reading. He made his own stories, he found found new books to read with us, he is my book hero!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I read everything. I'm also a huge fan of audiobooks. It's impossible to choose a favorite (I own 1700 books!), so here's what's been on my reading shelf lately:

(1) Lincoln, Gore Vidal
    (2) The Martian, Andy Weir (great book!)
    (3) The King's Justice, Stephen R. Donaldson
    (4) Stone of Tears, Terry Goodkind (reading with a friend who likes the TV series)
    (5) What Got You Here Won't Get You There, Marshall Goldsmith
    (6) Yin Yoga: The Practice of Quiet Power, Biff Mithoefer
    (7) I, Robot, Isaac Asimov
    (8) Complete Poems, Alfred Tennyson ("Mariana" is a melancholy fall favorite)
    (9) Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison (I try to always be reading at least one "classic;" this one's tough but good)
    (10) The Sorrows of Young Werther, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (I read this every fall)

Next up will probably be the next Sword of Truth novel (again, reading with a friend--it's pretty light fare for me), Tolstoy's Death of Ivan Ilyich (which I read every winter), some Pushkin short stories and maybe a little Aleksis Kivi. My reading tastes tend to shift north toward Finland and Russia over winter. :)
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Total book nerd here! Sci-Fi, mysteries, fantasy, historical fiction are all awesome. Terry Pratchett is my personal hero and all-time favorite author; I just about went into mourning when he passed away earlier this year. When I die I hope I'm reincarnated into Discworld. :smiley: Stephen King, Dick Frances, Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series seriously rocks), Ernest Cline, Neil Gaiman, JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, I could go on for hours. I love my Ipod and use it on my walks and when I'm cooking/cleaning but nothing will ever replace the feel and smell of an actual book. Besides, If I accidentally get a book wet in the bath tub I can dry it out. The Ipod not so much.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Another bookworm here (see my username). Currently reading Elena Ferrante's "My Brilliant Friend". It's book one of a series. I don't usually read series, but it's about two girls growing up in Naples, and my mother's family is from there, so I dove in.

This sounds good! I love this thread...so many great ideas...
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I LOVE libraries...I am almost in a panic when I think that maybe someday there won't be any.

Here is my list of favorites (not in order):

1. The Light Years - James Salter. Something about his writing in this book makes me absolutely swoon
    2. Hotel New Hampshire -- John Irving
    3. A Secret History -- Donna Tartt
    4. The Handmaid's Tale -- Margaret Atwood
    5. Cowboys are My Weakness -- short stories by Pam Houston
    6. Birds of America -- Lorrie Moore. Devastatingly funny stories.
    7. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius -- Dave Eggars
    8. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle -- Haruki Marukami
    9. My Other Life -- Paul Theroux. I read this one again and again.
    10. One Hundred Years of Solitude -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

If any of these speak to you...tell me your favorites! I always keep a running list in my phone for when I go to the library. Oh and I am still looking for someone who has read "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt...been dying to discuss it but no one I know has read it!!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    I read everything. I'm also a huge fan of audiobooks. It's impossible to choose a favorite (I own 1700 books!), so here's what's been on my reading shelf lately:

(1) Lincoln, Gore Vidal
    (2) The Martian, Andy Weir (great book!)
    (3) The King's Justice, Stephen R. Donaldson
    (4) Stone of Tears, Terry Goodkind (reading with a friend who likes the TV series)
    (5) What Got You Here Won't Get You There, Marshall Goldsmith
    (6) Yin Yoga: The Practice of Quiet Power, Biff Mithoefer
    (7) I, Robot, Isaac Asimov
    (8) Complete Poems, Alfred Tennyson ("Mariana" is a melancholy fall favorite)
    (9) Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison (I try to always be reading at least one "classic;" this one's tough but good)
    (10) The Sorrows of Young Werther, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (I read this every fall)

Next up will probably be the next Sword of Truth novel (again, reading with a friend--it's pretty light fare for me), Tolstoy's Death of Ivan Ilyich (which I read every winter), some Pushkin short stories and maybe a little Aleksis Kivi. My reading tastes tend to shift north toward Finland and Russia over winter. :)

GREAT list! I love reading about Russian winters during winter too!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    If you like John Irving I would recommend some Tom Robbins. He's kind of like John Irving on crack. He's got the same brand of dark humor and need for making social commentary in his stories, but the stories themselves tend to have a lot of magical realism. My favorite from Robbins is a toss up between Jitterbug Perfurme, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, and Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates.

These are so great! I loved whichever Tom Robbins book it was where the main characters were like.... a can of beans, a rock, and a spoon... something like that? I can't remember, but it was funny. And if you like Tom Robbins you gotta try Christopher Moore, specifically FOOL (story of King Lear as told by the irreverent and wonderful court jester, named Pocket.) Hilarious! I listened to the audiobook and it was just wonderful. And possibly LAMB: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (note: not everyone will appreciate the humor in this one for sure).

I think that was "Skinny Legs and All" Yes, the can of beans was always the voice of reason.

Oh and amazon has a bunch of the Pat Conroy books on Prime, which I found really surprising since he is a very famous author. I loved, loved, loved The Prince of Tides. Never saw the movie, but the book....The relationship dynamics in the family were familiar, funny, and heartbreaking all at once. Also loved The Great Santini. You can tell that Mr. Conroy's dad was a real piece of work.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I certainly was, and have been cursed by owning many many boxes of books each time I have moved (which I have done very regularly). I read much less than I should, and certainly much less than I used to but I have at least maintained the consumption of a fairly steady stream of non-fiction.

I'm not certain what my favourites would be but perhaps:

Novel: Norwegian Wood / To Kill A Mocking Bird
    Poetry: Plath's Ariel (I own both Sylvia's and Ted's arrangements) /Hughes' Birthday Letters.
    Play: McDonagh's The Pillowman / Fo's Accidental Death of an Anarchist

Currently I'm reading Wharton's The Age of Innocence and am listening to Go Set A Watchman on my early morning walks.

I will also be investing a kindle, something I promised I would never do. The Neo-Luddite in me must lose this battle as I really do desire to own fewer things.
  • earlnabby
    edited October 2015
    Options

Seems like you had a lot of encouragement to read and that makes me happy. My dad was absolutely fanatical about making sure that I read, when it looked like my sister and I were loosing interest he went to great length to make sure we kept reading. He made his own stories, he found found new books to read with us, he is my book hero!

My parents didn't overtly encourage us to read but they made reading materials and opportunities readily available. When we were in Jr High, they bought us each a magazine subscription of our choosing (my nerd brother got Popular Mechanics, my jock brother got Sports Illustrated, and I got Seventeen). They also got National Geographic and Reader's Digest for the family. I always took the permission note allowing me to leave the school to go to the library during lunch with me on the first day of school and they would drive us to the library when we wanted to go and the weather was too bad to walk or ride our bikes.

A reader is going to read, they just need the opportunity. I love the Little Free Library movement (which I am proud to say started in my home state of Wisconsin) which provides materials for people to read. I have dropped off a few books to the one a couple of blocks from me. http://littlefreelibrary.org/

When I have traveled, especially in the UK and Ireland, most of the B&B's I stayed at had a "take one, leave one" library so I could continue to read new stuff without having to carry a bunch of books around with me. Of course, now that I have a Nook, traveling with books is easier.