Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Book nerd here!! LOVE SCI-FI so if you have any good reads: let me know! Fantasy and horror would be a close second. :D I will also be scrolling through this feed for ideas!
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Book nerds unite! Love sci-fi and thrillers. Grew up with Xanth novels, Robert Asprin stuff, Isaac Azimov, Orson Scott Card, and Patricia Cornwell (I'm all over the place!). I've moved on to Outlander series, HP, LOTR, Hunger Games, and with any luck I will finish the Song of Ice and Fire (If Georgie hurries up that is)! Until then I will just keep re-watching Game of Thrones.

I just started using audiotapes for walking and stair climbing so finished some heavier stuff like "Drift the Unmooring of American Military Power" by Rachel Maddow and "Killing Patton" by Bill O'reilly. Nothing like a little conspiracy and espionage to really get the blood pumping :wink:
  • MelissaRD86
    MelissaRD86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
  • khwicklund
    khwicklund Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see so many bookworms, still moving around. I read almost everyday, as I write this I can't think of a day I don't read. It helps me relax after a long day of work.
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So many bookworms. Nice to see. I love a good read, but I'm also an avid (PC) gamer, so I have trouble balancing it out to be honest. I really need to read more! My backlog for both hobbies are massive. I like sci-fi and fantasy mostly but will give most everything a read once. :)
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yay, book people!!
    Right now I'm reading ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE, by Anthony Doerr. When I say "read" I mean that I'm listening to the audiobook. I'm commuting for about 70 minutes per day, which gives me a lot of "reading" time, plus I listen to audiobooks when I go out for walks, which I do maybe 4x per day during work. I'm really enjoying the book right now. The narrative is lovely, poetic, and the characters are interesting and sympathetic. BUT BUT... My pre-order of A LITTLE LIFE, by Hanya Yanagihara, auto-downloaded to my phone this morning, and I'm having a hard time not just starting in on that right now! But I need to finish ALL THE LIGHT first, I suppose. :)

I am a total novice when it comes to Sci-Fi, but recently I really enjoyed Seveneves, The Martian, and Fear the Sky. I think there are a couple of more in the Fear the Sky series, so I have that to look forward to!
    I've moved on to Outlander series, HP, LOTR, Hunger Games, and with any luck I will finish the Song of Ice and Fire (If Georgie hurries up that is)! Until then I will just keep re-watching Game of Thrones.

I loved HP, LOTR, Hunger Games, and Song of Ice and Fire! I just listened to book 1 of Outlander and loved it. Then I started listening to the second one and realized I needed a break, so listened to a vampire book or something. I need to get back to that book 2! The Outlander books just get longer and longer as they go. I think the second one is 40 hours on audio!! For comparison, A Clash of Kings by GRRM is 37 hours :) Also, I've been re-watching Game of Thrones too. :)

In the YA-Sci-Fi realm, I also liked the UGLIES series by Scott Westerfield and the Maze Runner series. YA is so much fun!

In the non-fiction category, I've recently read Going Clear (about Scientology), In Defense of Food, On Writing (Stephen King), and a bunch of books about the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails (including WILD, natch). Plus the autobiography/memoir type things of Amy Poehler, Rob Lowe, and Hillary Clinton.

Oh and... as much as I love audiobooks, I love paper books and bookstores twice as much. I can browse a good bookstore (e.g., The Strand in NYC) for hours... days. And spend my mortgage dollars on books.
  • namesncircles
    namesncircles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a huge bookworm!! I love a little bit of everything. I am also working towards a better me. I just started really getting into MFP in the last few weeks so I don't have any friends here yet. Add me if you'd like!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    rbratt06 wrote: »
    I am the biggest bookworm. I will pretty much read anything, but I have a special fondness for YA Fantasy novels (Tamora Pierce, Piers Anthony, and J.K. Rowling are my faves). I'm currently reading Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle) and Divergent (only when I work out). Feel free to add! :)

If you are interested, there is actually a fitness challenge based on the Divergent book series, that is starting in a couple of days.

Q&A Link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10266223/9-week-fitness-challenge-based-on-the-divergent-books-starting-october-18th#latest

Group Link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104967-allegiant-challenge-the-third-divergent-challenge

• The313
    The313 Posts: 3,145 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    I am the biggest bookworm. I will pretty much read anything, but I have a special fondness for YA Fantasy novels (Tamora Pierce, Piers Anthony, and J.K. Rowling are my faves). I'm currently reading Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle) and Divergent (only when I work out). Feel free to add! :)

If you are interested, there is actually a fitness challenge based on the Divergent book series, that is starting in a couple of days.

Q&A Link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10266223/9-week-fitness-challenge-based-on-the-divergent-books-starting-october-18th#latest

Group Link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104967-allegiant-challenge-the-third-divergent-challenge

I will second how great the challenges are and add a link to a new group just for us geeks. :blush:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/108973-the-geekery-guild
  • rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,948 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »

Q&A Link:

Group Link:

I have heard of this challenge. I'm actually in a Harry Potter one right now, so I want to concentrate on that. But, seriously, if you join a challenge with a theme you love, the motivation never ends! :smiley:
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I loved HP, LOTR, Hunger Games, and Song of Ice and Fire! I just listened to book 1 of Outlander and loved it. Then I started listening to the second one and realized I needed a break, so listened to a vampire book or something. I need to get back to that book 2! The Outlander books just get longer and longer as they go. I think the second one is 40 hours on audio!! For comparison, A Clash of Kings by GRRM is 37 hours :) Also, I've been re-watching Game of Thrones too. :)

I geek out on GOT by GRRM! And Dr. Who but that is another post (see: essay). If you like the Outlander series (I lost interest the farther into the series. I'm a history buff and it left the backdrop and focused on the lady's romantical stuff, ha!) you might like to read Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. I haven't finished that series and actually left it behind but need to get back into it. At least the first book was a fascinating read! http://www.jeanauel.com/books.php

I'm finding great leads to new books and series. Read Divergent but my friend moved away and I had to give the series back to her. Also been told to read Maze Runner and Sevenses. Off to the thrift book store for me!

For anyone who likes non-fiction that reads like a horror novel, read Hot Zone. It's written by Richard Preston and is a "nonfiction thriller" that outlines the origins and incidents of viral hemorrhagic fevers like ebola. It sounds creepy but it is a great telling of near epidemics that we were unaware of.

Now that I have identified myself as the morbid one in the group, I'll drop the mic and see myself off stage ;)
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »

I geek out on GOT by GRRM! And Dr. Who but that is another post (see: essay). If you like the Outlander series (I lost interest the farther into the series. I'm a history buff and it left the backdrop and focused on the lady's romantical stuff, ha!) you might like to read Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. I haven't finished that series and actually left it behind but need to get back into it. At least the first book was a fascinating read! http://www.jeanauel.com/books.php

I'm finding great leads to new books and series. Read Divergent but my friend moved away and I had to give the series back to her. Also been told to read Maze Runner and Sevenses. Off to the thrift book store for me!

For anyone who likes non-fiction that reads like a horror novel, read Hot Zone. It's written by Richard Preston and is a "nonfiction thriller" that outlines the origins and incidents of viral hemorrhagic fevers like ebola. It sounds creepy but it is a great telling of near epidemics that we were unaware of.

Now that I have identified myself as the morbid one in the group, I'll drop the mic and see myself off stage ;)

OMG I had forgotten Clan of the Cave Bear. I have read the full series, and the first one really is the best, but they are well worth completing.
  • LKroner
    LKroner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Book lover here as well! I'm currency reading Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I'm a big fan of Laurell K. Hamilton and Patricia Cornwell.
  • hlnebel
    hlnebel Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Anybody read Pillars of the Earth? I loooooved that book. I have the next one in the series sitting in my bookcase, just waiting for me to finish reading The Thornbirds.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read the Sword of Truth and / or Dark Tower series? I love both of those. TDT is my favorite series of all time.
  • LuvtoBeme1
    LuvtoBeme1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am a total bibliophiliac! I collect rare and antique books. I love the smell and feel of books.I adore English literature, poetry, prose, short stories...Fantasy!!!! Anything about medicine and health, All things Oriental...I do like Stephen King but my favourite modern fiction author is by far Patricia Cornwell. Feel free to add me as a friend as I am brand spanking new here.
    I am super psyched as I joined a gym today and did 35 minutes of intense circuit training and walked back home.. Five Miles!!!! The fitness trainer there really helped me with diet information as she has a degree in Sports Nutrition and a minor in Physical Therapy!Well time to hit the showers hope to hear from you!
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP a few times before but life and stress always seemed to get in the way of sticking to my original goal. I'm working to lose weight and treat my body better each day, and would love some motivating friends that could help push me along.

I'm Molly from Chicago. I'm a huge book nerd and into a ton of geeky things.

Hi, welcome! I'm a book nerd too! Sending you a friend request :)
  • kidzhearts82
    kidzhearts82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    OMG! I love to read! At least 1 book per day! I like most genres, except romances - Hate!, science fiction, religious, and supernatural. I like actual physical books but ran out of places to store them and eBooks are a bit cheaper. Is this an actual group I can join?
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My kind of people! There is a group for MFP bookworms. I haven't read all the post so someone might have mentioned it already. I'm also doing zombies run love it.