Personal trainers?

Options
How many of my MFP friends use a personal trainer?
Do you like it? Is it worth the money?
Do you feel like you have more progress with a trainer rather than alone?

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky because my husband was a personal trainer in college. I've learned a lot from him, but I don't know if it would be something I would pay money for. Most of it you could probably research on your own.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    adhebert8 wrote: »
    How many of my MFP friends use a personal trainer?
    Do you like it? Is it worth the money?
    Do you feel like you have more progress with a trainer rather than alone?

I don't currently use one but I have in the past. I do have a triathlon coach.
    I always liked having a trainer. I didn't usually have one on one sessions, I had trainers that I had a few sessions with to show me how it is done, then write me up a program. I'd go back to switch up the program.

Personally, I feel it was worth the money FOR ME. I also feel like if I had a one on one trainer I would have made more progress because I am the type who does well with structured programs. I am a direction follower. And I would be much less likely to cut a workout short or slack off if I had someone watching me. NOt everyone is like that. Plus the whole fact of having to show up at a certain time means I'm less likely to skip a session.

If I had the money, I'd always have one on one sessions iwth a good trainer.
    The problem is finding a good trainer. I've had a few that just gave me cookie cutter workouts. I was at the point where I wasn't quite a beginner but coming back off a lay off and would get the generic beginner plan. I don't like that.
  • Deartrebor
    Deartrebor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a qualified personal trainer and if our services meet your needs depends person to person.

The most valuable aspect to having a trainer is their knowledge, a lot of trainers like to keep the trade secrets secret to make you keep coming back. I personally find this a shameful tactic.

It also depends on what your ultimate goals are, if you're just after weight loss a time will come where you've picked up enough to drop your trainer but if you have more long term training goals trainers start becoming more useful for form checking and kicking your butt if you start slacking off.

A lot of the clients I've had really just like having someone who is isn't in their social circle. Someone they can complain about their partners/kids/work or to expose their body in a way no one else gets to see it without being judged

Long story short, I think everyone should see a personal trainer at least once, and really smash out some questions. Make sure you get what you're paying for and if something comes up that you're unsure of see if you can sauce a trainer for just some consultation, it's usually a lot cheaper than a session. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Most of it you could probably research on your own.
    Attaining knowledge and executing it are 2 different things. It's one thing to look at and analyze a squat, but another to actually know if you're doing it correctly. Many times people track their knees wrong, lean too far forward, lift their heels off the floor, breath incorrectly, etc.
    To the OP it's going to be an individual thing as well as whom they get as a trainer. Some like to pushed, others like to be just monitored. Some like them stern, while others like some with humor. Most trainers will give someone a "sample" session, then go over specifics after. But at least that way you get a chance to see if you mesh.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dswigger
    dswigger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is worth it to learn to do things correctly. If you are going to bother exercising and eating right you should maximize your returns. I have paid a certified kettlebell instructor for the last year and a half(among other coaches). I can tell you with absolute certainty that I would not be as far as I am without their instruction. I watched plenty of youtube before I hired a trainer. You can easily end up hurting yourself without proper instruction.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I used one to learn how to lift with the barbell. I think it's a waste of time to have someone tell me to do jumping jacks and burpees but learning how to lift was huge for me. As far as the INFO she gave me, as much as I loved her, I always came home and researched what she said. She was young, and some things seemed...off. The MFP forums and the google helped me clear up some of the things she mentioned about food/nutrition/training.
  • mwyatt005
    mwyatt005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think the mileage varies, I'd talk to the different trainers at the gym and try to find one your comfortable with. If your self conscious around them you won't perform to your best. My experience with a trainer was amazing and I know most other trainers would disagree with how we worked together. He was really good at pushing me to my limits, I rarely walked away from a session not wanting to up chuck. The thing is at the time my training ideology was that if I wasn't shaking/sick then I didn't drive the body hard enough. He accepted that about me and always came out with something different that pushed that envelope, corrected my form and helped me make gains I otherwise never would have. If I had the financial means i'd find another. Just make sure your goals and their training methods and ideas are on the same track.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have in the past. If it's a good trainer they are very worth it. Let someone else do the thinking and programming for you. Get coaching cues on form and execution. But if they aren't any good, it's a complete waste of money
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel it was worth the money FOR ME. I also feel like if I had a one on one trainer I would have made more progress because I am the type who does well with structured programs. I am a direction follower. And I would be much less likely to cut a workout short or slack off if I had someone watching me. NOt everyone is like that. Plus the whole fact of having to show up at a certain time means I'm less likely to skip a session.

This is very true for me too. I have been using a PT for a few months now and I love it. I feel like I am getting somewhere with my training for the first time ever. I was doing Stronglifts and really struggling with form and just being comfortable in the weights room. Now I feel much more confident. I think it definitely depends on what works for you and who the trainer is though. I would try a couple of sessions first before signing up for a longer period.
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been with one for the past year. He's helped me sooo much, there's absolutely no way I'd be where I am without him. It is expensive, I'd probably have a new car or I'd be able to put more down on my loans lol but that's not the point. I'd suggest to get one a for a few months to see where it leads. Also, make sure that your personalities match. That was big for me, I'm not the nicest person(so i hear) and he's a d!ck which didn't sit well with me in the beginning, but now I know where it's coming from and it works lol
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    My BF writes most of my programs and he does have a training certification. I also take small group classes twice a week in the A.M. and it's pretty tailored to each person's physical ability. This morning there were only two of us, for instance. I do like being told what to do because it's things I wouldn't do on my own so to me it is worth it and I've made progress I know I wouldn't have made on my own. And the facility has equipment I get to use that my 24 doesn't have.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I use a trainer and have for a little while. He's great for helping me accomplish my goals as well as educating me on what, why, and how. I find it valuable, but it's not something I'd see myself needing forever. It's great to have form correction and someone to push me to work differently or harder.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have used Pt in past depending ogoals but mainly for lifting, simply because I didn't have knowledge to begin with and I tend to push myself beyond my ability. It was good to have someone to monitor and 'limit' what I was doing. Now I have catch up sessions every 6to 8 weeks to check progress and adjust programme if needed.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have never used a personal trainer, but I do have a triathlon coach and he's worth a lot more than I pay him.
  • littlemissorange
    littlemissorange Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love my personal trainer has Keith me motivated for 8 months which I would never kept at it for so long solo. I'm not naturally sporty etc but I really enjoy my sessions and I'm licky to afford it. I do feel he teaches me how to do things properly and always changing my routines . Some PT's do mini group sessions to keep costs down
  • adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My main issue is it's a lot of money and it's a 12 month contract.. I hate contracts. Too much unpredictability in life for that.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    adhebert8 wrote: »
    My main issue is it's a lot of money and it's a 12 month contract.. I hate contracts. Too much unpredictability in life for that.

Completely agree with that and I'm guessing you are with a big box gym. In my experience, I have found better trainers at independent gyms or gyms where the trainers are paying rent and can negotiate their own prices. I would not sign a 12 month contract.
  • kcdinga
    kcdinga Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My neighbor is a personal trainer and I hired her. It really helped keep me on track. At first I was meeting with her twice a week, but I am in the WRONG tax bracket for that haha...so we agreed to drop down to once a week. Been exercising with her for almost two months and am down 12lbs and feel good about exercising each day (I do take a day off during the week).

She has really helped keep my form through the exercises (its been a while since I went to a gym, so the refresher courses on the different pieces of equipment helped).

I guess it depends on your motivation level. If you can stay motivated and feel confident in the types of exercises you are doing, you might not need.

One thing I will say...and this is for all of you personal trainers making a living helping us get healthy...Please remember that most trainers are making a living doing this...so be upfront with them and let them know what you want and the timeframe involved. It will help them plan and continue to eat :-)

• adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel once I have lost some weight and plateau I will be more interested and possible will have a raise at that point ;)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Yeah... contracts are often no bueno... I have a month to month trainer.