Personal trainers?

Options

Replies

• adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah... contracts are often no bueno... I have a month to month trainer.
    If it was month I would probably do it with no hesitation.
  • daligrrrl
    daligrrrl Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I definitely think it's worth it (especially if you have no previous knowledge ). I myself had previous knowledge but still used one. It was the best (albeit most expensive) decision I ever made! I learned new things I didn't know and it springboarded my loving to lift. Not to be scared to do my own thing and try new regimens and routines.
  • kcdinga
    kcdinga Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    adhebert8 wrote: »
    I feel once I have lost some weight and plateau I will be more interested and possible will have a raise at that point ;)

Well how about a Congrats on a possible Raise hehe!!! :-) Good Luck!
  • daligrrrl
    daligrrrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options

What facility do you work out in?
  • adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    daligrrrl wrote: »

10 Gym they outsource their personal trainers from Custom built
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current fitness level and knowledge. It also depends on your specific goals.

I am training to be a personal trainer myself, that said, I enjoy working with other trainers as well. I can and do workout on my own but I like having someone push me and spot me on certain movements and I like hearing other people's training styles.

For the average gym go-er who just wants to lose a few pounds I don't think its a necessity. Especially not if you have to go through a contract with predatory sales-people. The only trainers I would work with are ones that do this for a living by choice (aka not just biding time while they are in school or moving on to something else), who have a real passion for fitness, who have a good reputation with proof to back it up, and who have an open mind (or don't think they know everything) and are constantly striving to learn more and more.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    daligrrrl wrote: »

I built a home gym... higher upfront cost, lower maintenance cost and paid for itself in a year based on my previous gym fees. The trainer is the only really expense now.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've been seeing a personal trainer once a week for about two years, and for me it's been a huge help, first in losing weight, and now in maintenance and recomp. He's not cheap, but he's got a physical therapy background, which he applies to get me past roadblocks like old back injuries, no cartilege left in one shoulder, yadda, yadda, yadda. At 56 I'm fitter now than I've ever been, or ever thought I could be. So I'm about to sign up for an additional weekly session, because, well, you can't take it with you ...
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I have in the past. If it's a good trainer they are very worth it. Let someone else do the thinking and programming for you. Get coaching cues on form and execution. But if they aren't any good, it's a complete waste of money

this.

I have a very good trainer. I also see a whole bunch of really bad trainers at the gym. Worth looking around and sometimes paying a little bit more is worth it. Other day I was watching a not-so-good trainer get a guy to do squats - his form was all off and they just kept adding weight. Perfect recipe for back pain.
  • stacey_marie_08
    stacey_marie_08 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would have never paid the money for a personal trainer until I was given a free session when I joined my gym. I always thought it was for professional athletes or stars. Not for someone like me, just a typical obese individual. BUT after my free session with her, my legs were killing me (in a good way). And it was the first time my legs were sore like that without the added knee pain. She watched as I did a squat and noticed my heels were going up so we did a different exercise. She modified a plank because I've got back issues and it was nice to be able to actually to a plank exercise for longer than 10 seconds. I will continue to see her because where I'm at right now, I need instruction. I want to do this healthy lifestyle for good and if I injure myself, I'm more likely to quit. So all in all, for me, it makes sense to pay for a PT because I'm new at this working out thing again and I'm obese. I can only speak for me and this is a new thing. I've only met with her once but I can't wait to meet with her again on Thursday.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you told me 3 months ago that I'd adore my PT, I'd think you were nuts. A small fitness/training center opened across the street from my office and I met the owner at a health event that my employer held. I was TERRIFIED to walk in there, but he set me up with my PT who really took the reigns for me and got me in there. After I pretty much failed 90% my PF test, I reluctantly gave him a 3 month commitment for PT sessions 2x/week. I'm almost at the end of my commitment and I told him that I'm not ready to end it. I've picked up a lot and made "crazy fast gains," but I don't feel ready to be on my own in the bro-gym. He not only helps me on the physical side, but in gaining the confidence as well. Our personalities mesh well, he's ridiculously knowledgeable for a younger guy, and he laughs WITH me and not AT me when my weaknesses show.

If you can find THAT in a PT, they're worth every penny.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    How many of my MFP friends use a personal trainer?
    Do you like it? Is it worth the money?
    Do you feel like you have more progress with a trainer rather than alone?

Are you going working out on a regular basis?? If so and you need some pointers find one on a monthly basis, but do not sign up for one with a year contract, they may be preying on the new years resolutions people that will pay for a year, go for a month and be stuck in a contract!! For me I have use one but it was only for core strength exercises,and it was free, (my job paid for it), She was the only one I've meet that weren't trying to sell themselves by telling you how you're doing it wrong, and they can show how to do it right with a few sessions at a price (LOL)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky because my husband was a personal trainer in college. I've learned a lot from him, but I don't know if it would be something I would pay money for. Most of it you could probably research on your own.
    A seasoned personal trainer is more than likely much more experienced that someone who's a trainer in college. It's more than just about lifting weights and doing cardio in your 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I guess I'm lucky because my husband was a personal trainer in college. I've learned a lot from him, but I don't know if it would be something I would pay money for. Most of it you could probably research on your own.
    A seasoned personal trainer is more than likely much more experienced that someone who's a trainer in college. It's more than just about lifting weights and doing cardio in your 20's.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is exactly why i said "The only trainers I would work with are ones that do this for a living by choice (aka not just biding time while they are in school or moving on to something else), who have a real passion for fitness, who have a good reputation with proof to back it up, and who have an open mind (or don't think they know everything) and are constantly striving to learn more and more." earlier on in this thread. I couldn't agree more!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I would have never paid the money for a personal trainer until I was given a free session when I joined my gym. I always thought it was for professional athletes or stars. Not for someone like me, just a typical obese individual. BUT after my free session with her, my legs were killing me (in a good way). And it was the first time my legs were sore like that without the added knee pain. She watched as I did a squat and noticed my heels were going up so we did a different exercise. She modified a plank because I've got back issues and it was nice to be able to actually to a plank exercise for longer than 10 seconds. I will continue to see her because where I'm at right now, I need instruction. I want to do this healthy lifestyle for good and if I injure myself, I'm more likely to quit. So all in all, for me, it makes sense to pay for a PT because I'm new at this working out thing again and I'm obese. I can only speak for me and this is a new thing. I've only met with her once but I can't wait to meet with her again on Thursday.
    This isn't uncommon. While I get that people really don't want to pay money for expertise on something so trivial as moving resistance around, the reality is that many people are uneducated on what they really need to work on. I am used to seeing guys at the gym talk a good game about them being able to train anyone, but 90% of the time the workout they recommend.............is the one they are doing. That's not training, that's just getting a gym partner.
    Honestly, sometimes my obese clients are the best because they are the most WILLING to learn. They know they need help and are looking for direction. Sometimes clients who just want to lose weight for an event can be pains in the butt because their expectations of a trainer is "train me" and viola......instant physique.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There is a time and place for a trainer- it's not right for everyone- but a good trainer is worth the investment if you need the help.

A regular gym trainer is typically not something I would personally reach out to- but I have and do reach out to specialized trainers for my goals and I don't consider that a waste at all.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I don't. My only experience with a personal trainer is a free 'fitness assessment' that they do when you sign up for a new gym membership. Essentially the trainer did everything in his power to wear me out then tell me I was in bad shape and needed to pay him an additional $160/month for his help. He lost credibility with me the instant he dismissed a tried and true novice strength routine. Plus everything he had me doing was for speed, not form.
    Did I like it? No.
    Is it worth the money? Not a chance.
    Progress? I'd have made none with that guy. Probably would have torn a ligament.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I don't. My only experience with a personal trainer is a free 'fitness assessment' that they do when you sign up for a new gym membership. Essentially the trainer did everything in his power to wear me out then tell me I was in bad shape and needed to pay him an additional $160/month for his help. He lost credibility with me the instant he dismissed a tried and true novice strength routine. Plus everything he had me doing was for speed, not form.
    Did I like it? No.
    Is it worth the money? Not a chance.
    Progress? I'd have made none with that guy. Probably would have torn a ligament.
    So you're basing your "I don't" answer on one trainer that obviously had little experience and that he was dismissive? You do realize that there are actually really good trainers out there that you've probably never spoken to right?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer and he owns his own small gym. He's a retired bmx pro who's won pretty much everything there is to win in bmx. he retired and went into coaching and coached team USA in the Olympics. He still coaches a number of bmx pros and amateurs as well as road racers and a variety of other amateur and professional athletes. I started working with him when I got more serious about cycling and I will start competing in actual races this coming year...at 41 I have an uphill battle and can use all of the help I can get. He appeals to me also because the Olympic lifts are a foundation of his training programs for all of his clients and my programming is geared towards being a better cyclist.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that's been said above, you need to find a good one. I've had a good one, a bad one and am now with one who isn't just good but is also knowledgeable about running, which is my chosen sport. I think that's the key for me, having one who knows my sport and knows exactly what training I should/shouldn't do. He's been invaluable as I've recovered from an injury.

Plus, I have to say, he's never pressured me to train with him more often so he would make more money - he knows I can only afford one session every 2 weeks, so we workout/run together fortnightly and he sets me 'homework' in the form of a training plan for the next two weeks. In fact, I sat with him today and, rather than using the hour to train, we mapped out the next 4 months of training to fit in all the races and events I want to do. That's been really helpful, as he definitely reigned me back from what I thought I should be doing. I probably would have ended up injured without him. So yeah, one who makes the best use of the time you have is also something else to look out for.

Don't let anyone who has had one bad one put you off. You just need to find one that's right for you and they can be absolutely invaluable to your training.