High bar Squat vs Low bar Squat

Options
Hey guys, currently doing ICF 5x5 (A variation of Strong Lifts 5x5) and I'm curious if it's alright to do high bar squats. I know the program assumes to do low bar every workout but I much prefer high bar.

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I would imagine so. I did stronglifts and nrolwf with high bar as that's basically what the gym trainer showed me. I tried to ask a trainer about both during a workshop but he said not to worry about one or the other and just do what had been doing. Now I'm doing PHUL and for lower power I still do high bar.

I did do both for a while, since squats were part of every lifting day at the time, and that was interesting. I still lift more with high bar since it's what I've done more but low bar wasn't too bad either.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you aren't lifting for sport it doesn't really matter which you are doing. Do whichever you prefer, just make sure you are using proper form. You can always switch it up later.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, pick whichever is more comfortable or allows you to move more weight.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, pick whichever is more comfortable or allows you to move more weight.

^Yep
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you aren't lifting for sport it doesn't really matter which you are doing. Do whichever you prefer, just make sure you are using proper form. You can always switch it up later.

Both, pick which works best for you.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Exactly. Whatever feels better for you.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Low bar puts somewhat more emphasis on the posterior chain (glutes, hamstrings, etc.), high bar somewhat more on anterior chain (quads, etc). I tend to lift low bar simply because, as hard-core mountain biker, I'm already obscenely quad-dominant. Kind of depends on your goals. Heck, if you've got the time to do ICF, you could always mix it up a bit.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Low bar puts somewhat more emphasis on the posterior chain (glutes, hamstrings, etc.), high bar somewhat more on anterior chain (quads, etc). I tend to lift low bar simply because, as hard-core mountain biker, I'm already obscenely quad-dominant. Kind of depends on your goals. Heck, if you've got the time to do ICF, you could always mix it up a bit.

There is almost no research that shows high bar squatting recruits less from the posterior chain. It does allow for a shortening of the fulcrum holding weight and allows for heavier loads to be moved, which would use more muscle. That is not the reason you listed. Below is the conclusion powerliftingtowin.com came to when testing and looking at the lifts objectively.

"In sum, low bar is nearly universally superior for powerlifting purposes because it preferentially shifts leverage to the hips, allows for less forward knee travel and thus a shorter range of motion, and it allows you to grind out weights without losing the lift due to an unstable rack position. There are exceptions of course, but they are called exceptions for a reason."

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/high-bar-vs-low-bar-squats/

If powerlifters could prove the low bar squat recruited the hamstrings better they would never stop talking about it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

There is almost no research that shows high bar squatting recruits less from the posterior chain. It does allow for a shortening of the fulcrum holding weight and allows for heaved loads to be moved, which would use more muscle, but not for the reason you listed. Below is the conclusion powerliftingtowin.com came to when testing and looking at the lifts objectively.

"In sum, low bar is nearly universally superior for powerlifting purposes because it preferentially shifts leverage to the hips, allows for less forward knee travel and thus a shorter range of motion, and it allows you to grind out weights without losing the lift due to an unstable rack position. There are exceptions of course, but they are called exceptions for a reason."

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/high-bar-vs-low-bar-squats/

If powerlifters could prove the low bar squat recruited the hamstrings better they would never stop talking about it.

I've always been curious about this! SL uses low bar, but high bar is so much more comfortable. Maybe because of my proportions? But I want a butt so I keep trying low bar...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    mrnobodi95 wrote: »
    Hey guys, currently doing ICF 5x5 (A variation of Strong Lifts 5x5) and I'm curious if it's alright to do high bar squats. I know the program assumes to do low bar every workout but I much prefer high bar.

You should absolutely squat how is most comfortable for you to squat. Don't get caught-up in the BS and minor details of the differences. Yes each has some small differences in muscle recruitment but it's not worth talking about unless you're competing in the squat or even olympic lifting.
  • armylife
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

You should absolutely squat how is most comfortable for you to squat. Don't get caught-up in the BS and minor details of the differences. Yes each has some small differences in muscle recruitment but it's not worth talking about unless you're competing in the squat or even olympic lifting.

Exactly and BS stands for bro-science.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Exactly and BS stands for bro-science.

I actually meant *kitten* but bro-science is similar enough. LOL
    I've always been curious about this! SL uses low bar, but high bar is so much more comfortable. Maybe because of my proportions? But I want a butt so I keep trying low bar...

Yeah, how your built very much comes into play in squat-style. Don't worry about developing the glutes in the high-bar squat; if you're squatting correctly you butt is getting plenty of work. Simply-stated, the glutes manage extension of the hip. When you're squatted down into the hole, to get back-up requires extension of the hips, knees, and even your calves fire as well. Just make sure you're sitting back into the squat correctly and you'll be fine.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Okay, maybe there is no evidence. But I found this video interesting and persuasive nonetheless.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQuCi2h_kNI
  • armylife
    Options
    While a good video it uses a bit of the same bro science. The only way to shorten a muscle is via contraction or surgery. The distal and proximal insertions points are always the same distance apart.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. I still think it has some common sense in it that is informative.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The video makes some valid points though I'm vary curious as to how he defines "neglects" because it could be misconstrued by the unknowing as "doesn't work at all." If you look at his picture, his hips are very much in a flexed position. In order to stand back-up his hips and knees must both extend.

7pvz07hrif7o.jpg

Posterior Chain:
    - Glutes: Extend and rotate the hips. Even in the HB Squat, the glutes are very much active as the lifter must extend their hips to stand back up.
    - Hamstrings: Involved in hip extension and knee flexion. In this case, those muscles are flexed and eccentrically loaded and then assist in the concentric motion of the exercise through extension of the hip.

How the HB Squat "neglects" the posterior chain is curious to me. Does the LB squat load the glutes and hamstrings better, probably. What the real difference is I couldn't say, not sure any formal studies compare the two or not.
  • armylife
    Options
    Yea I don't like the phrase neglects in the video either. All squats work both the anterior and posterior chains, the degree of muscle recruitment may vary, but to say it neglects the entire muscle group would a very bold statement. As you said it is obviously not what the video ment, but if you take it at face value it can sound that way.

I still believe the recruitment of muscle fiber, if there is a difference, is due to either: collapsing at the bottom of the high bar squat and losing hamstring tension, or the increased load that can be carried in the low bar squat due to decreased lever length and range of motion.

But there is the rub, if one develops coordination and CNS pathways over a longer range of motion why would you train a shorter range, unless you are a powerlifters or anatomically unable to?
  • coachjschroth
    coachjschroth Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Umm, ok I'll go out in a limb here and assume that there is no research regarding high bar vs low bar squats when it comes to which style recruits more of the posterior chain, but how about just using common sense of basic physics of lever systems? The position of the bar will alter the length of the lever arm of the resistive force which will place more emphasis on either the glutes/ hamstrings during a low bar squat, and the quads on a high bar squat. Fulcrums do not shorten, lever arms do. If we're trying to educate people can we please get the language correct? This is ridiculous. And there EMG studies observing deferences in muscle activation for high vs low bar squats. As you said, not a lot, but let's not throw those out the window. Let people read em and come to their own conclusions.
  • mrnobodi95
    mrnobodi95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for all the replies guys! I'll definitely do what's more comfortable which is high bar for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    We're liking dealing with general population on here. My advice, place the bar where you can get the squat done. No need to major in the minors.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png