Dairy products: To consume or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Older men probably need it also. After age 40, I found I had nightly episodes with painful and sleep interrupting leg cramps. I did some research and found that blood calcium concentrations may play a role. Then I started tracking the amount of calcium I was getting in my normal diet, and outside of any supplementation.... I was at 60% RDA. I increased the amount of calcium with more dairy and some supplementation. My leg cramps went away.

Since that time, I have always consumed some dairy (and vegetable sources) for calcium along with supplements. I am not sure why my magic calcium consumption number is the equivalent of 200% RDA (2000 mg equivalent calcium)... but if I drop below that... say to 1500 mg nightly leg cramp incidence increases. Activity and water consumption within my normal limits, appear to have no correlation with my particular observations.

I just found it interesting that if I had gone to a doctor they probably would have given me some prescription drug for "restless legs" or something similar, and with a little effort of monitoring and adjusting my diet, the same (better?) result was achieved.

Counting all calories....

Magnesium / calcium balance is crucial for restless legs and cramps.
  • LOLmerrill
    LOLmerrill Posts: 43
    Options

None of those sites are actually run by medical professionals...and lots of them appear to be anti-dairy advocacy groups, who, for whatever reason, have their own agendas.

The dairy industry is the most subsidized industry in this country. It's in the government's best interest to convince people to consume dairy products, early and often. Most of the dairy advocacy groups have their own agendas, too, which is to get us to buy dairy. These anti-dairy advocacy groups seem to have one of two agendas that I can see: treat animals better OR be healthier.

Which one are you going to trust?

^THIS.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    There has been recent evidence that casein (the protein in milk) actually robs the body of calcium, rather than increasing it. Much of this was discussed in the documentary "Forks Over Knives", as well as The China Study and Eat to Live.

Apparently, as the consumption of dairy in our diet increases, so does the rate of osteoporosis.

I personally eat cheese, butter, and yogurt occasionally, but stopped using cow's milk for cereal or cooking, instead using rice milk or almond milk. I can't say if it affects my weight or health - I have no studies on myself to determine. But I know I've read enough compelling evidence against drinking cows milk.

As for the antibiotics and growth hormones - this is true. It is a result of factory farming. Cows are fed antibiotics daily in their food to prevent widespread illness from their crowded and unsanitary living conditions. The growth hormones are given to ensure the cows grow at a faster rate to increase turnover. (Please see documentary Food, Inc.)

That being said, it is not hard to find hormone free milk. It will be labeled as being from cows who have not been administered the growth hormone. Organic milk will ensure the cows have not been given the antibiotics either. If you want to drink milk, organic should definitely be chosen over the cheaper varieties, both for health and ethical reasons.
    Do not bring up the China Study. It's unbelievably well known for it's horrible science and irresponsible conclusions based on correlations.

It's one of the biggest jokes in the nutritional community.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Think about this.... We humans are the only species after that consume milk, as part of our regular everyday diet, from other animals. Yes, we have our mother's milk during infancy as do other animals but that's it. We don't need it. Why do you think so many people are lactose intolerant? Our bodies weren't meant to process it.
    We're also the only animals that ship food internationally and make foreign food a dietary staple. Also the only animals to eat the variety of meat that we do.

Also only animal to use modern medicine and the internet and cars.

I don't get what you're arguing.

UMMM... the argument is that our bodies can't process bovine reproductive secretions for sh1t. It's hell on our systems. Just because you *can*, doesn't mean you *should*. Just a thought.

I am on the God's Diet and it is completely eating foods that God made not what man made. That includes the animals he put on the earth for us to provide the provision that in the days of the beginning that his people survived on. Which includes meat and milk. Their are many foods that man has taken and altered. So it all comes down to it, that if our bodies can handle it and it is not gluttony then we will most likely do fine. IMO!
  • cds193
    cds193 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you want to put that stuff in your body, you will. Have at it. The information is out there. I'm not here to convert.
    Cheers.

Not all farmers use hormones, or antibiotics to raise their animals. Dairy producers are not allowed to sell milk from animals who have been injected with penicilin for a select period of time (long acting and short acting penicilin have different periods of time). Hormones are only used in the beef animal industry (dairy cows are much different from beef animals) and not all producers should be prosecuted for the actions of some. Also, beef that has been properly cared for is not full of hormones and actually contains omega 3 fatty acids wich we all know as being good for us (if they are grass fed and pasture raised) therefore instead of lumping all of the producers together I ask that if you do not like the actions of some instead suggest organic for those of us who like to drink milk and eat cheese.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Bump! This in entertaining!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think dairy is good. I drink skim milk, eat yogurt, cottage cheese, and string chees!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    OP - is your goal fat loss? How has that been working so far?
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like dairy and have been consuming it all my life (48 yrs). I drink skim milk, eat yogurt and all kinds of cheese. I have never seen any correlation with weight loss or gain. However, I have noticed that if I don't have my milk, (3 glasses a day), I have less energy throughout the day. It probably has something to do with having less vitamin D for the day. If you enjoy dairy, then ENJOY! Just count the calories like all other foods. My dairy consumption accounts for the majority of my protein as well.