Women 40+

Options

Replies

• fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you for joining us. I used to have the same challenge with workouts. I would take some of my lunch hour and walk or do my workout right when I got home from work. You could always do smaller bursts of workouts too which will add up! :happy:
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    There is a link on the message board menu "my topics" that will list the threads you post on. I hope this helps!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Number18, srp2011 and Olive - thank you for the book suggestions.

Cecenk - Have you tried brushing your teeth to stop snacking more in the evenings?

Cherrie - Hypothyroid is tricky. I deal with hypoglycemia and anything endocrine related is a challenge. Working out more seriously helps. It is the last thing our body wants to do (it rather take a nap), but it is what helps with the hypo situations.

Looking forward to hearing from more of you!
    :happy:
  • cecenk
    cecenk Posts: 4
    Options
    Fitfun1 - thanks for the teethbrushing suggestion...I had totally forgotten about that and I think it would help. I'll try it tomorrow.
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    Ladies..add me to the group. I am 41 and have gained a significant amount of weight. I watch what I eat, joined the gym, do cardio 4-5 times/wk, have a personal trainer & have lost 1 pound in 6 weeks. So frustrated. Trainer now says I need to intensify my cardio, but I'm exhausted already from the workouts. Would love to hear some success stories and tips.

you can increase the intensity but shorten your cardio by doing HIIT (high intensity intervals training), also do weight training exercise 2 to 3 times per week, it won't bulk you up, but help you build lean muscle, muscle burn more clories.
  • aliharper
    aliharper Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks Olive for the suggestions. I did my first HIIT yesterday for 20 minutes and am strength training 2 days a week. I would like to get to 30 min. HIIT eventually. I have never worked out much so this is all so hard to me. Hopefully will see some progress soon.
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    that's really good! it's always hard at the begning, but it will get easier and easier... one step at a time, you can do it :happy:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Turned 40 in April, though I don't feel old. :wink:

No perimenopause issues yet. :ohwell: I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last year. :grumble: Thyroid meds have been a huge help. I must say I feel fortunate that my 2 best friends are both over 40 (43 and 48) and are in great shape. They help keep me motivated.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm up for it! Add me, too, please! I've been "dieting" for the last 6 years or so. Didn't really get serious about it because it seemed to inconvenience my family too much. Then my daughter had a scare at the doctor (headed straight for type 2 diabetes) and I committed to helping her change her lifestyle. Seems so much easier to do now that it isn't only for me.
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Thank you jarrettd and brandiuntz for joining us.

I was curious, how often do you weigh yourself? I am attempting to only weigh once a week so I don't get discouraged if my weight fluctuates.

It's been tough this week, and I don't feel like I have lost any weight despite continuing efforts. We shall see on Sunday (weigh day).
  • haztam
    haztam Posts: 4
    Options
    Count me in ....I have been gaining and losing since my kids! Couldn't find the time to fit it all in. I started the gym now and added this site and it made a world of difference. I lost 15 of my 70 ...I need and want to lose. Great place to be for support and encouragement! It has been a tough 2 weeks I must say...I need to figure out why!!
  • hopeforsuccess
    Options
    Please count me in - I am glad I am not alone. I really put weight on easily now I've reached 45!
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing? Not doing to bad myself but I have a question to ask and this will depend on how much weight you have to lose as to whether or not it is applicable. It may also have to do with the fact that I was diagnosed in February '11 with a thyroid disorder... but I'm not sure. At my heaviest, my face and neck were quite round and heavy looking. As I lose weight, I notice that my cheeks and the sides of my face as well as my neck are slimming down but the area under my chin and my jawline hasn't changed much at all... still leaving me with a heavy, double-chin look. Does this go away and slim down at some point during your weight loss or is this an aging issue? Apart from this issue (which is a big concern), I am very happy with my progress thus far. Looking forward to your responses.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Count me in, please. I've done this all before (lost over a hundred pounds), and let me tell you, it moved faster when I was 15 than it does at 45.

Kris
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Count me in as well. I'm 41 and have been dealing with Menopause for the past 14 years. (Had a full hysterectomy @ 28) I have noticed a difference since I have turned 40 though. Yes I agree, it is harder at 40 than it is in your teens, 20's or even 30's. I have currently joined a gym and am doing yoga once a week. Hoping for some change. :happy:
  • jenny_fur
    jenny_fur Posts: 73
    Options
    40 here... and feeling it!! Count me in.. Ladies add me if you like! XOX
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Welcome to our newest members jenny_fur, cathyg18, Thriceshy, and hopeforsuccess. I hope we can all trade good information here and friend each other for support.

I used to lose weight easily, but these past few years it has been challenging, especially now. I have been really working it hard this week adding in 10,000 steps per day to make sure that my new work at home lifestyle isn't holding me back anymore. It's been a little discouraging since I am seeing no changes so far since I started. I decided to measure myself this week to see if anything budges even if the scale doesn't. I'll remeasure on Sunday.

I have never had to deal with a plateau situation from the beginning. I usually lose weight quickly at first. I've had all the medical tests too, so not sure what is going on.

If any of you have had trouble losing weight from the start and have found a solution, please let me know. I may end up buying that herbal formula I found online called Zalustra 90 if nothing is working after all this hard work.
  • dylanne
    dylanne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you can add me, too. i just turned 40 a month ago. i'm so ready to get this extra weight off!
  • tnfphelan
    tnfphelan Posts: 23
    Options
    Bump
  • Purplefly
    Purplefly Posts: 71
    Options
    I'd love to be a part of this group too. I am a 41 year old mother of 3. My weight issues slowly built up with each child, I never got back to my pre pregnancy weight before the next child and then gained more. I just loved to eat when I was pregnant. Finally decided that it was time to lose the "baby fat"... tho Im sure since they are 16,13 and 12 I really cant call it that lol! No more excuses.

Please friend me too!