Can anyone give me some direction?

Options
For starters, I am 5'7" female who weighs 117 pounds. I am "skinny fat." Squishy around my love handles, back, and tummy. I am trying to get fit...and "tone" up.

How many calories a day should I be eating to obtain this goal? And will the following at home workout help me obtain this? How many times per week should I do this and how much cardio should I incorporate into my week?

Workout:

Circuit 1 X2
10 pull ups
30 sec mountain climbers
15 reverse fly

Circuit 2 X2
50 Russian twists
15 leg raises
16 crow push up

1 min rest

Circuit 3 X2
25 weighted squats
20 single leg bridge/leg with Dumbbells
45 sec plank all sides

Circuit 4 X2
16 dumbbell crossover punch sit-up
20 lunge with twist/rotating sides
15 Sumo squats

5 min stretch & posture exercise

To be clear, I don't care about if my weight goes up or down. I'm just wanting to figure out how to get that right and lean look!

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Did you input your stats and goal into MFP? Also, this calculator provides a good starting estimate. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No-one can give you a set number of calories (although some may try to....) - maintenance calories, the amount of calories required to keep you at roughly the same weight over an extended period of time. You will need to experiment especially if you are new to maintaining and changing your exercise routine.

Will your home workout help? Yes - a bit (as will virtually any exercise) but it's a pretty poor routine if you are looking to build muscle. That's a fitness routine not a strength or hypertrophy routine. No idea of your current or past training status so hard to help without more info.

How much cardio. depends on your fitness/sporting/health goals primarily. Remember you will be eating those calories back (whether on the day or as an average) as you are maintaining. Your home workout won't be (shouldn't be anyway!) causing any recovery issues so cardio isn't an issue.
  • breanna_mcmillen
    breanna_mcmillen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I can do the above workout everyday basically and not need any recovery days? And I know virtually any exercise is better than no exercise, but since it is a "poor" workout, should I be eating at a deficit since it won't help me build any muscle tone?

I would really love to get a gym membership, but it would "cause problems" according to my SO.

So, until we can get a home gym (about 2 more months) I'm stuck trying to get in shape at home.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I can do the above workout everyday basically and not need any recovery days?
    That wasn't what I was saying - people sometimes avoid cardio on days after lifting as they are recovering. Would be surprised if that's an issue for you. But depends on your training status.
    And I know virtually any exercise is better than no exercise, but since it is a "poor" workout, should I be eating at a deficit since it won't help me build any muscle tone?
    Eat at a deficit only if you want to lose weight.
    A proper weights/resistance program is the optimal way to recomp but that really just means it's faster. Let's face it if you played enough tennis you would end up looking like a tennis player, ditto swimming/swimmer, ditto cycling/cyclist, ditto rowing/rower......
    I would really love to get a gym membership, but it would "cause problems" according to my SO.
    Just break up. (Joking!) :)
    So, until we can get a home gym (about 2 more months) I'm stuck trying to get in shape at home.
    Bodyweight exercises can be extremely challenging.

• tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ^^^good gouge.

Looks like it's wide open for you, if you haven't been doing "it", you have to start somewhere and then see where you're at. Times like these I like to point out that it's all 80% diet...
  • breanna_mcmillen
    breanna_mcmillen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You have been so helpful! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!!
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me