Low-calorie Advice for a Busy Girl Lacking a Fridge

Options
I posted a version of this in the "Introductions" forum yesterday, but I thought I might get some more advice here.

My life has changed a lot since I was actively watching my calories (4ish years ago, gained back 40 pounds of a 60 pound weight loss since then.)
I currently don't have a full-sized fridge, so I have a hard time buying perishables and keeping them cool enough in my tiny cube fridge.
I have two jobs. I work at a coffee shop and at the University here in town (doing mostly desk work 20ish hours a week).
I have a car and do less walking than I used to. Because of the second job and lack of time in my life, I'm grateful the car exists but wish I could still get that mile or so in per day.
AND, I have a boyfriend. Which has super changed my eating and drinking habits, as well. More beer/wine, more eating at restaurants.

Basically, I'm away from my house from 9 in the morning to midnight. Sometimes earlier.

Do any of you have suggestions as far as non-perishables/canned foods that will work for a low-calorie diet and be something I can grab in the morning that will sustain me through my work day (basically zero prep time is what I need and I know that's asking for a lot)?

Prep days could be arranged but making time for them would be difficult. Cooking and storing some foods at my Bf's would be possible.

I hope to spend less than $200 on food per month. Maybe it's possible, maybe not.

I'd love for you to add me as a friend. I need some accountability partners. Working at a coffee shop kills me sometimes. So many high calorie things right at my finger tips.

Let me know if any of you have advice.

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I too work in a Cafe. I know about temptation! I think you should view this as a fun challenge. I would eat bananas and nuts for breakfast. Maybe peanut butter sandwiches with fruit for lunch. Tuna doesn't need to be refrigerated so you could keep a small container of mayo and make sandwiches with tuna. Rice cakes with peanut butter or cream cheese is also a good snack. Cream cheese should fit in your little fridge. Apples are really filling and don't need to be refrigerated. If you keep your calories low when you're not with your boyfriend, you'll have more wiggle room when eating out. When at restaurants I would limit myself to one or two drinks, tops. And I'd always get an appetizer and maybe a side of vegetables. Or split and entree with your boyfriend! That's romantic! As for the budget, that's hard but not impossible! Good luck.
  • RainingintheSing
    RainingintheSing Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply @Tblackdogs!
    Those are fantastic suggestions, thank you. I'd forgotten that rice cakes existed. It's been a long time since I've had them, but they're really good with tuna (or even plain). I've never tried them with peanut butter or cream cheese, but I'll have to, now!
    Restaurants are definitely the hardest for me because everything sounds so good. Even if the boyfriend didn't wasn't too split, I could always just do my best to eat only half and take the rest home. Leftovers are always nice to have... and they'd probably fit in my fridge as well.

Fruits are definitely something I need to buy, especially apples and bananas.
  • alien_type0
    alien_type0 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a mini fridge when I was pregnant since my food was always being stolen by people we were living with. I was craving healthy food too (I think you crave the opposite of what you eat normally haha) I would have light string cheese, grapes, cut vegetables, and small stack-able yogurts. I don't know how you feel about meal replacements but I always find it handy to have a case of slim-fasts because you can just pour it over ice and make it a meal to go which I know is handy in the "I need to leave right now" points of your day.
  • RainingintheSing
    Options
    If I had a teeny fridge and needed to budget carefully I'd use it for cheese and some dense veggies like cucumbers.

It doesn't help that I have a roommate. Ifi was by myself, I'd be able probably to work everything in a little better. Basically it's like I have half of a tiny fridge. But yes. Cheese is a need.
  • RainingintheSing
    Options
    I had a mini fridge when I was pregnant since my food was always being stolen by people we were living with. I was craving healthy food too (I think you crave the opposite of what you eat normally haha) I would have light string cheese, grapes, cut vegetables, and small stack-able yogurts. I don't know how you feel about meal replacements but I always find it handy to have a case of slim-fasts because you can just pour it over ice and make it a meal to go which I know is handy in the "I need to leave right now" points of your day.

I should try the meal replacement things. I'm making chicken right now! Hopefully I can find room for that... I keep buying yogurt and then NOT eating it.
  • alien_type0
    alien_type0 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think of pantry worthy diet food but it's hard without it being full of carbs...

Thomas light english muffins - 100 calories
    Powdered peanut butter - 70 calories
    progresso light canned soup - 70-90 calories
    fruit cups without syrup
    wild/brown rice and canned black beans
    turkey jerky

This thread is actually fun to post in, trying to think of what you would eat without a fridge completely lol.
  • RainingintheSing
    Options
    I'm trying to think of pantry worthy diet food but it's hard without it being full of carbs...

Thomas light english muffins - 100 calories
    Powdered peanut butter - 70 calories
    progresso light canned soup - 70-90 calories
    fruit cups without syrup
    wild/brown rice and canned black beans
    turkey jerky

This thread is actually fun to post in, trying to think of what you would eat without a fridge completely lol.

Haha! I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's super helpful to me because I really feel like I don't have a fridge! I've been buying canned fruit without sugar/syrup quite a bit the last year or so. I hadn't thought of English muffins, yet. I'm going to make myself a list so i can go shopping!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Cous cous? You can add all sorts of things or quinoa. Do you have a freezer? I buy frozen fruit add it to Greek yogurt with granola great brekkie. Sachets of porridge , lunches well eggs are good can hard boil or make omelette etc, pasta salads, fruit and veggies definitely. Its tough but nothings impossible. I make smoothies they are perfect on the run.
  • militarygirl92
    militarygirl92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I too work in a Cafe. I know about temptation! I think you should view this as a fun challenge. I would eat bananas and nuts for breakfast. Maybe peanut butter sandwiches with fruit for lunch. Tuna doesn't need to be refrigerated so you could keep a small container of mayo and make sandwiches with tuna. Rice cakes with peanut butter or cream cheese is also a good snack. Cream cheese should fit in your little fridge. Apples are really filling and don't need to be refrigerated. If you keep your calories low when you're not with your boyfriend, you'll have more wiggle room when eating out. When at restaurants I would limit myself to one or two drinks, tops. And I'd always get an appetizer and maybe a side of vegetables. Or split and entree with your boyfriend! That's romantic! As for the budget, that's hard but not impossible! Good luck.

This is all great advice. Regarding the boyfriend, does he know you're trying to eat better? Advise to go to healthier restaurants where side salads are options and the like. It's not really necessary to just salads. Lord knows I want to divulge when I go to a pretty restaurant. Make smart choices, and see if he wants to tag along as well. Science allegedly says that relationships influence eating and exercise habits. Support from a significant other goes a long way. :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Big, whole grain and multi-grain bagels and cheese or peanut butter are awesome and used to be a staple of mine. And try Progresso lentil soup if you have access to a microwave. It's still yummy after all these years :)

Try a different kind of yogurt if you don't eat yours. Unless you just really don't like yogurt, they pretty much have something for everyone now.

I got a nice-sized small fridge off of Craiglist. I live alone, so I don't want to run my huge one since I eat a lot of raw food anyway, buy small, and have small leftovers. It's awesome! It might be cheaper in the long run if you just get a little fridge like that (bigger than the cube kind) for yourself. Mine has a lock, lol, so you could use that with roommates! I especially like keeping a gallon of milk and some soymilk around and not having to worry about those being too big to fit. I drink a lot more milk now (I like sipping on something), and I need the protein and calcium.

Oh, my size has a very nice little freezer, too! It fits ice cream! I got the kind with a real freezer door. It just rocks :) It wasn't much $$ because I 'shopped' patiently on Craigslist for a couple of months.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Every day all day. Turkey sandwiches. 2 oz turkey on 2 slices natures own bread is around 200 calories. Lunch meat won't take up your whole fridge. Pop some Greek yogurt singles and boiled eggs in there. Keep bread and a bowl of fruit on top. Done.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Bars or Snacks. Instant Breakfast Single serve jars. Kind Bars. Tuna and goldfish. Cereal. Even if you add milk its generally not bad and can be used for any meal. Also bananas, apples and other fruit should last a few days without a refrigerator.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying this thread too! I think it's the Mom in me, wanting to help! Add me as a friend if you want some continued support and ideas! Good luck!
  • RainingintheSing
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! You've been super helpful.

My boyfriend does know I'm starting a healthier first, so that's not a problem there. He's great at being motivational which is fantastic.
    I just really need to pin down a good routine!
  • popoycanton
    popoycanton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    With your lifestyle and time constraints seems like you'll Benefit greatly from IF.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Canned foods dont require refrigeration. You can get tuna, chickpeas and veggies. Avocados dont need to be refrigerated. Can you fit 2 bowls of something ? If yes you can make a bunch of grains for the week and another bowl of chicken and with the canned vegetables you have meals for the week.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not sure if someone mentioned yet but how about potatoes and yams. Can do that instead if cooking grains. Just make a bowl of chicken to refrigerate and microwave a yam/potato in the mornings to take with you. If you plan to take your lunch with you and wont have a microwave near you buy a little thermos. They keep food warm 4-5 hours.
    For breakfast can do oatmeals they are filling and dont require anything from the fridge .
    Canned tomatoes are so tasty too. I make a salad out of them and add onions and a little oil, which all dont need to be refrigerated too.
    Theres also precooked rice they sell in little packages. You microwave them for 90 seconds and they are ready to eat. I always keep those around incase I dont want to cook or dont have food left.

(I agree this post is fun to think of ideas)
  • RainingintheSing
    Options
    With your lifestyle and time constraints seems like you'll Benefit greatly from IF.

I've tried IF for a few weeks and actually quite enjoyed it. I may have to work my way back into it.
  • RainingintheSing
    Options
    Not sure if someone mentioned yet but how about potatoes and yams. Can do that instead if cooking grains. Just make a bowl of chicken to refrigerate and microwave a yam/potato in the mornings to take with you. If you plan to take your lunch with you and wont have a microwave near you buy a little thermos. They keep food warm 4-5 hours.
    For breakfast can do oatmeals they are filling and dont require anything from the fridge .
    Canned tomatoes are so tasty too. I make a salad out of them and add onions and a little oil, which all dont need to be refrigerated too.
    Theres also precooked rice they sell in little packages. You microwave them for 90 seconds and they are ready to eat. I always keep those around incase I dont want to cook or dont have food left.

(I agree this post is fun to think of ideas)

Canned veggies are going to be a staple in my diet, I'm sure. They're easy and they're inexpensive.

I just recently discovered the pre-cooked rice. I was very excited about it!

I'm going to try shopping for a week of breakfasts and dinners this afternoon. Excited to see what I come up with now. Thank you for all the ideas, everyone!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a stove? Hard boiled eggs in shell can last a few days without refrigeration. Some cultures do not refrigerate raw eggs but I'd be leery of doing this with US factory farmed eggs.

In your situation, I'd have a peanut butter, banana, and protein powder smoothie in the AM for breakfast and either eat it before I left or bring it with me.