SURGERY FOR EXCESS SKIN????

Options

Replies

• MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I whole heartedly believe that you do need to decide if the pain, cost, and risk are worth it to you. For some it won't be. I saw my mom go through the surgery and yes it was extremely painful. I have seen her scars and nursed her through it and for me I would go through two times to get rid of what I have left.

I am about to post a pic because as they say they are worth a thousand words I don't know how long my nerves will let me keep it up there...

1307551954-1.jpg

It makes me so angry when people say that given time the skin will repair itself. For some people there is no way that nature can repair the damage that is done. Yes I did do the damage to myself (with a little help from my three munchkins :o) ) I have maintained an 80+ lb weight loss for almost 5 years now. It has been almost 3 yrs since my last baby was born. I have had some some improvement over the years but what is left is going to be what I am left with and it is only going to get worse as I reach my ultimate goal. I won't gain back what I lost and even if I did my stomach will never stick out as far as it did with my pregnancies. That wrinkly raisin like appearance isn't something that any amount of strength training is going to fix. I will do all the work and get as far as I can with nature on my side with proper eating and exercise but there is an amount that is going to be left that nature just won't be able to help me resolve...

My stomach looks exactly the same...thanks to 4 babies :). I'll be looking at a Tummy Tuck not too far down the road...just wish they weren't so expensive. And I agree....that skin just isn't going to go away on it's own. My husband tells me that mine looks like a deflated balloon...LOL!
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    I whole heartedly believe that you do need to decide if the pain, cost, and risk are worth it to you. For some it won't be. I saw my mom go through the surgery and yes it was extremely painful. I have seen her scars and nursed her through it and for me I would go through two times to get rid of what I have left.

I am about to post a pic because as they say they are worth a thousand words I don't know how long my nerves will let me keep it up there...

1307551954-1.jpg

It makes me so angry when people say that given time the skin will repair itself. For some people there is no way that nature can repair the damage that is done. Yes I did do the damage to myself (with a little help from my three munchkins :o) ) I have maintained an 80+ lb weight loss for almost 5 years now. It has been almost 3 yrs since my last baby was born. I have had some some improvement over the years but what is left is going to be what I am left with and it is only going to get worse as I reach my ultimate goal. I won't gain back what I lost and even if I did my stomach will never stick out as far as it did with my pregnancies. That wrinkly raisin like appearance isn't something that any amount of strength training is going to fix. I will do all the work and get as far as I can with nature on my side with proper eating and exercise but there is an amount that is going to be left that nature just won't be able to help me resolve...

You know - the first thing I see is that you have a lovely defined waist! I've had three children have have yo-yo dieted for years and years - with each pregnancy I gained huge amounts of weight - so my tummy doesn't look significantly different to yours - i understand how in a perfect world you would like it flat - but at the end of the day this isn't a perfect world and there are so many more important things to be thinking about - I think maybe we are not so ready to accept ourselves because we don't realise that hey - actually, most of the female population of childbearing age or older - are walking around looking very similiar underneath their clothes!!! Everything is photoshopped now - we live in a make believe world. There are a million and one other things I personally would rather be spending my time thinking about... and my money on! :)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I say it`s your body,you decide what`s right for you.
    Good luck
    jane
    I would do research and be sure that`s what I want to do.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you will want to save the money in advance. That will give you time to do more research and decide if you really want to have surgery. There are different kinds of surgeries and each plastic surgeon probably has the one they do best. A coworker reported that she just had the loose skin removed and that recovery was no big thing. I had a consultation and the guy I saw said he would not do that. He wanted to cut my abdominal muscles and sew them together tighter! The cost was more than I was comfortable with and the recovery time was a concern. I looked long and hard at the photos he had of the tummy work he had done and decided that I would get a second opinion. I never bothered to get a second opinion.

I suggest that you have consultations with more than one surgeon and take a careful look at prior surgeries. You may be unpleasantly surprised at how the "private" area looks after the skin is pulled taut.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I also have a lot of skin on my tummy from pregnancies and weight gain. I also have about a 7 cm split between my tummy muscles which means I can't do things like crunches with any weight - my back hurts if I do them. I will definitely get the surgery after I've been at goal for a while. I've already been for the checkup and the only reason I haven't already done it is that here in Holland your BMI must be within normal range. I was, at that time, at a BMI of 27. Now I am at 31 but that is a different story.

I think that the body image problems I have from the loose skin on my stomach are definitely worth getting rid of, and I am 100% not in agreement that the skin will 'come back' on it's own. It won't, especially if it has been stretched beyond capacity by multiple pregnancies.

I do think that one's body fat % should be quite low just in case there is a layer of fat under there and I do think it's a good idea to be at goal for a year or so, but not for reasons of possible weight gain/seeing if the skin pops back into place. I think the year 'time out' is helpful because it can be hard to get used to being slimmer, and seeing yourself slimmer/having other people react to you being thin and compounding some of those issues with surgery is probably not a good idea.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I had a TT and breast aug in the same surgery (mostly bc it was cheaper to do both at the same time). I've always wanted bigger boobs, but after I lost weight (about 8 years ago) I had this roll of skin over my belly button that NEVER went away and I had a huge problem with it. Sometimes I forget it’s not there anymore bc I find myself trying to cover myself with my arms. It is a VERY painful surgery, but worth it in the long run...I feel so much better about myself and he even cut out a whole bunch of my stretch marks :) It’s nice to have a smooth tummy and to be able to wear tighter clothes. The pain is bad, but temporary. It’s all up to you. Good luck with whatever you decide :flowerforyou:
  • BigNathan76
    BigNathan76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow. My first post!

I'm going to have lots of "extra" skin as well once I get to my goal(ish) weight. I'm a BIG cat... at 6'2" and highest weight was 425 lbs, but have lost 86 lbs over the last 4 months. I know the damage is done to my skin and it will never be the same (no matter what some people claim). All those stretch marks are your body tearing to make extra skin, and unfortunately the body isn't going to just absorb them back... It's a one way street!

I guess the point of my post is to say it's a personal decision and that individual has to weigh the risks involved. Money... who cares... you make it to spend it and can't take it with you.

I have already decided against the surgery for myself. I'm losing for my kids and wife to make sure I'm around when they need me. A little extra skin never killed anyone, but an extra 200 lbs has. Death is a worst case scenario from the surgery. No matter how remote the chances are its still there. Will I be able to walk around the yard with my shirt off... no, but I will be able to walk my daughter down the aisle in 15+ yrs. Hell, if my wife loved me (and by default my body ;-)) at 425, a raisin waist on a 215 lbs frame I'm sure she will be more than happy with.. And she's the only one I have to impress!!!
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options

1307551954-1.jpg

AMEN!
    I get frustrated too when people tell me that the surgery may not be necessary, especially because I'm so young (I'm 21 years old). By the end of my weight loss journey I will have lost at least 225 lbs (that's to get down to the upper end of my healthy weight range). I know that skin has elasticity, and that SOME of the skin will tighen back up, but the fact of the matter is that I will still be left with a significant amount of excess skin that is going to start rubbing together and causing me rashes and irritation. I'm already starting to get irritation under my arms from skin getting loose and rubbing against my clothing. I refuse to lose a whole person (and not just any person, a 6'3 healthy sized MAN) just to have skin that's gonna still cause me health issues. Besides, surgery is NOT cheap it's gonna take me at least 3 years to save up the thousands of dollars I'll need. That's plenty of time to consider my options. If there's one this that'll make me re-evaluate how much I want something it's a price tag.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck 3 years ago. Recovery was a breeze. I went out dancing 3 weeks after my surgery. I love the results. I will probably get my back/butt done to match my front. I know many people who have done it and they all love it. In fact I did it after a friend encouraged me because I, too, was having doubts.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck 3 years ago. Recovery was a breeze. I went out dancing 3 weeks after my surgery. I love the results. I will probably get my back/butt done to match my front. I know many people who have done it and they all love it. In fact I did it after a friend encouraged me because I, too, was having doubts.

I would check youtube vidoes....I wouldn't call it a beeze, all I can think about is the drains....*cringe*
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I would check youtube vidoes....I wouldn't call it a beeze, all I can think about is the drains....*cringe*

I expected it to be difficult but I literally could walk afterwards. The drains look bad but only hurt when they take them out which takes 5 seconds. I was in bed 3 days but mostly due to nausea not pain. I had gall bladder surgery 10 yrs ago and that was horribly painful for weeks. And my c section was also much worse. But a tummy tuck is just skin...all superficial and yes it was a breeze for me! :)
  • bethmiller3377
    bethmiller3377 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow. My first post!

I'm going to have lots of "extra" skin as well once I get to my goal(ish) weight. I'm a BIG cat... at 6'2" and highest weight was 425 lbs, but have lost 86 lbs over the last 4 months. I know the damage is done to my skin and it will never be the same (no matter what some people claim). All those stretch marks are your body tearing to make extra skin, and unfortunately the body isn't going to just absorb them back... It's a one way street!

I guess the point of my post is to say it's a personal decision and that individual has to weigh the risks involved. Money... who cares... you make it to spend it and can't take it with you.

I have already decided against the surgery for myself. I'm losing for my kids and wife to make sure I'm around when they need me. A little extra skin never killed anyone, but an extra 200 lbs has. Death is a worst case scenario from the surgery. No matter how remote the chances are its still there. Will I be able to walk around the yard with my shirt off... no, but I will be able to walk my daughter down the aisle in 15+ yrs. Hell, if my wife loved me (and by default my body ;-)) at 425, a raisin waist on a 215 lbs frame I'm sure she will be more than happy with.. And she's the only one I have to impress!!!

WOW! I really like this...You have def. given me alot to think about when you mention your children. The worst case is what scares me the most....:-( Thank you for being so honest!
  • bethmiller3377
    bethmiller3377 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Y'all are AWESOME! All of you! :-) Thank you SO much to each and every one of y'all for responding...giving your PICS, your advice, your thoughts...I loved it....
    I think the waiting a year or so is wise...I'm not 100% sure I'll do it, but only because of one reason....I'm kind of in a "hurry" and the reason why is this... (without getting to personal)
    I am having to have another surgery done, for medical reasons. (did i already mention this? lol Sorry if I'm repeating myself)
    Anyway...the dr. told me that when that surgery is done, it would be easier to do the Tummy Tuck during that time, and it would cut down (not cover dang it) on the costs...so that's why i'm "rushing"... It's because this other surgery DOES have to be done soon...so I was hoping to get them both done together and get it over with, etc.
    Y'all have def. made me think though...especially about the kids, cause I do have 3 little boys...
    I have to say though, I HATE THIS stomach.
    It makes me MISERABLE. It's not just a vanity thing. For me, it pulls on my back, etc....and it's also just annoying. LOL
    I'm an aerobics instructor now and when I try to teach and do pushups, etc, there it is...Just a swinging in the breeze...LOL
    BUT, I appreciate ALL the comments and am SOOO loving MyFitnessPal for having folks that give really good advice. :-)
    I'll meet with the Dr. monday and go from there, I guess...
    Thanks everyone!!!!!!
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :happy: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say a few things:

First- I have had a friend that went through with the tummy tuck and while she said it was incredibly painful, she's happy with the results.

Second- Skin elasticity is genetic.. I know people that have had 3+ children and no signs of it at ALL... and others that have had 1 and struggle to lose the weight and tighten up the loose skin.

Third- I agree that you should maintain your weight loss for a while before going through with the surgery, in that time I would suggest yoga and hot yoga as methods to help firm up your body and skin.

Lastly- Do what feels right to you... talk to a doctor that is not biased (if you talk to the plastic surgeon they will definitely tell you to do it... talk to someone else). If you think it will improve your self esteem and body image, go for it, but realize the very real risks, and the pain involved in the procedure.

Congrats on losing all that weight and keep us updated!!
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    Wow. My first post!

WOW! Excellent post and great attitude! And congrats on your weightloss :)
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options

i had a tummy tuck a year ago and like you said it was a breeze!!! lol i had 2 c-sections and those were paintful not the tumy tuck Aand i loved my results i guess every body its different and i will do it again if i had too !! (thats the good thing about havind a cousin thats a plastic surgeron...lol..)
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options

1307551954-1.jpg

Thank you for posting!! I might as well be looking at my own stomach!

I AM having a tummy tuck done in December. The surgery is already scheduled for Dec. 12th. To me it is going to be completely worth the money. It bothers me that some people may say, just love your skin, don't waste your money, it will shrink back, etc. and try to make you feel like you are a bad person for wanting a tummy tuck in the first place. I don't think that anyone on this site in particular looks at a tummy tuck as a quick fix or a way to lose weight. We have worked our butts off to lose weight and there is NOTHING wrong with us for wanting surgery to fix what cannot be fixed with diet and exercise. It is wrong of others to make us feel like we are bad people for wanting surgery or that we are wasting our money or being selfish. Comments like "Just enjoy how you look in clothes" are not helpful to those of us that have negative feelings associated with the loose skin. Sure, I look really good in clothes now. I get compliments nearly every day, but all the compliments in the world about how nice I look in clothing cannot change how I feel about what is underneath. I have such negative feelings about my skin that I have not even let my husband see me without a shirt since I was pregnant with my son (he just turned 3!). Would my husband love me any less because of my loose, saggy skin....no. But I cannot stand the look of it and it makes me so self conscious that I have NO desire to have someone that I am so intimate with see it or touch it. Having the surgery in December will give me the confidence that I have been missing for so long. I am looking forward to it and no one will make me feel bad for wanting/doing it. (Ok, i'm stepping of my soap box now.)

Feel free to friend me if you want a supportive, pro-tummy tuck friend. :bigsmile:
  • christalafarlette
    Options
    Hi--
    I had a tummy tuck. Best decision! After 4 large babies my abs were 4" apart... he sewed them together, fixed the holes in the abdominal sheath... and yes, recovery was hard, but well worth it. This was in 2006 and I love my tummy and feel good about the surgery.
    Yes, it was expensive but our insurance covered a portion of it as I was having complications from the separation of muscles.

Be prepared. tuckyourtummy.org (?) has alot of great info. Have a recovery plan and know in advance it will be hard. However, I would do it again in a heartbeat! If you send a private message I can post a very appropriate picture of how the scar looks after 5 years....
    :smile:
  • MTtobeHOT
    MTtobeHOT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a need for the surgrery, but I am a nurse and took care of patients who had the surgery so have
    been able to follow their progress. I saw patients with good outcomes, and some with complications too.
    Its not something to be taken lightly, as it is a major surgery, and with all surgeries, there are risks.
    Do your homework and research the surgeons in your area very well. Get recommendations if possible.
    The more experienced the surgeon, the better. There are ways of checking their track records so you feel secure
    with your doctor.
    Prepare yourself for a recovery that takes some time. You'll need to have some patience for good healing.
    Follow all post operative instructions completely. :grumble:
    Patients who didn't follow the treatment plan have more complications than those who do, and those were the ones
    I ended up taking care of the most.
    Many people will tell you that it is well worth the time, effort and pain. Its strictly a personal decision.
    Its a surgery that is not usually covered by insurance, but its worth persuing with your doctor. Sometimes underlying issues
    may get you some partial payment, so its always worth exploring, especially if the extra skin has caused rashes or other skin
    problems that have required treatment and visits to a doctor.
    Hopes this helps in your decision-making process. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I understand the desire to get rid of the skin. I have 4 kids and after my last pregnancy ( twins ) there was so mch skin! I hate the idea of surgery, but the skin bothers me a lot. If I get the nerve up (and the money!!) I could see myself getting serious about a tummy tuck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!