Beer, weight loss, with healthy food intake

Options
i started mfp and was in it for like a month or two and lost weight while lifting and eating some what good, now I am back after a short break and I am going to really eat much cleaner than before, but locally there's nothing to do but have some beers cheap at the fun bar? I've read articles about not having more than three beers a night if your a lifter, I only drink beer Saturday and Sunday is their a theory that eatting clean and lifting/excercising plus beer is still possible for weight loss?

Replies

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, all that matters is burning more calories than you consume. If having a few beers makes you go over, then don't have them. If you get the munchies, then just go easy.

Personally, I usually go for hard liquor. Less filling, fewer calories, and it doesn't aggravate my allergies like beer. Though I had two last night, because a good stew requires it.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra FTW 96 calories 2g carb

drink 10 beer only 1k calories still eat chips and dip = calorie goal for the day
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, all that matters is burning more calories than you consume. If having a few beers makes you go over, then don't have them. If you get the munchies, then just go easy.

Personally, I usually go for hard liquor. Less filling, fewer calories, and it doesn't aggravate my allergies like beer. Though I had two last night, because a good stew requires it.

Alcohol has effects outside of "burning more calories than you consume". OP, just do a few google searches...the ideal situation if you are serious is to just not drink. You can lose weight while still drinking but had you done everything the same EXCEPT no alcohol, you would be closer to your goal in the same amount of time.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    Options
    Alcohol has effects outside of "burning more calories than you consume". OP, just do a few google searches...the ideal situation if you are serious is to just not drink. You can lose weight while still drinking but had you done everything the same EXCEPT no alcohol, you would be closer to your goal in the same amount of time.

I lose at my expected rate consistently, and I drink. I haven't seen anything different this time from the last time I lost, and I was teetotal then. Just counting calories seems to work for losing weight.
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    i started mfp and was in it for like a month or two and lost weight while lifting and eating some what good, now I am back after a short break and I am going to really eat much cleaner than before, but locally there's nothing to do but have some beers cheap at the fun bar? I've read articles about not having more than three beers a night if your a lifter, I only drink beer Saturday and Sunday is their a theory that eatting clean and lifting/excercising plus beer is still possible for weight loss?

I'm on the same ship!! Newcastle is f#€k!ng great!!! Smh! But I've gotta stop!!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    ... locally there's nothing to do but have some beers cheap at the fun bar?

Nothing to do? Or nothing you want to do? Church group? Library? Running club? Backpacking? Ham radio? Volunteering?

IMO cheap beer is never worth it.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

My friend about choked when I paid $9 for a (750ml) bottle of Adelbert's Scratchin' Hippo. He opted for a $5 six pack, and chugged it. I don't get it, but to each their own!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

My friend about choked when I paid $9 for a (750ml) bottle of Adelbert's Scratchin' Hippo. He opted for a $5 six pack, and chugged it. I don't get it, but to each their own!

I know that feeling. I sometimes have to stifle a gasp when I see the prices for rare/limited edition bombers at my local bottle shop.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I lose at my expected rate consistently, and I drink. I haven't seen anything different this time from the last time I lost, and I was teetotal then. Just counting calories seems to work for losing weight.

I was not suggesting it is not possible, I am suggesting that its not ideal but its all about that persons current goals.

Looking at your diary...have you noticed your macros are under but your calories are over? if you managed the same amount of total calories but changed the way you GET those calories you may very well find that you could eat MORE and still have your diet "work".
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

I was not suggesting it is not possible, I am suggesting that its not ideal but its all about that persons current goals.

Looking at your diary...have you noticed your macros are under but your calories are over? if you managed the same amount of total calories but changed the way you GET those calories you may very well find that you could eat MORE and still have your diet "work".

I agree with this all, I lost over 100# while drinking beer, I did cut down to never during the week and tried for only one night on the weekend while I was really working on losing weight. I could have lost it faster without the alcohol I'm sure, but I am also trying to find a balance in life that I am happy with. I enjoy going out with friends and having a few. So it comes down to what you want more.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your nutritional needs. try to focus on fulfilling your macronutrient needs and not your calorie allowance. Everything in moderation is okay, but don't try and make it like the Twinkie diet lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No doubt this is true. I mean it's kind of a "duh" statement. With all calories being equal if you don't drink beer you could eat more.

If you give up <insert any food here> you can eat (or drink) more other stuff. It all comes down to personal choice. Some choose beer. ::drinker::
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    Options

If you mean yesterday, yeah. I wanted pizza and beer. I didn't go to the gym because I got some new twisty puzzles in (5x5x5, 3x4x5, and a megaminx), and I wanted to sticker and lube them. That takes time, and a steady hand. I have a blind spot in my left eye (had a bleed at the start of the year), so I find a beer helps me ignore that when doing fine work (everything around the spot shimmers and moves, so it's really distracting, and can give me a headache). So, I had the beers while doing that (with Raising Hope on in the background). I had a good time, and just unwound with one of my favorite hobbies. I've had a tough week, calorie counting is enough to get me by.

All that said, I wasn't asking for a critique, and I wasn't advocating my diet for anyone else (I'm a picky *kitten*). The OP wants to drink a few beers on the weekend. If that's important to him, then he should do so. Losing weight shouldn't mean that we have to give up our hobbies, or our friends. Moderation is all that is required.

In either case, in your first post you said he would lose faster if he didn't drink. This would only be true if he consistently goes over his goal because of beer, or doesn't replace the calories with another source. I wasn't addressing anything else, because it wasn't relevant to the question I was answering. Personally, I wouldn't drink in a bar, and I wouldn't dream of quaffing cheap beer. But he wasn't asking if I'd do that, he was asking if he could lose weight while doing that.
  • ChristopherSchirching
    Options
    Thank you for all the info I agree with the one person that just simple Calorie counting I was also able to lose weight while still drinking beer, I drink on weekends only and its only in moderation because of work Saturday mor nig and college classes HW as well thank you all