Brown vs. White Rice - What's the Difference?!

Options

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    White rice tastes like something that belongs next to a glass of flour paste; and brown rice tastes like nutty heavenly goodness.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The extra fiber and protein will slow digestion a bit thus lessening the fast spike in blood glucose. This is only true when they are eaten alone, of course.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    White rice tastes like something that belongs next to a glass of flour paste; and brown rice tastes like nutty heavenly goodness.

brown rice often does a poorer job of why I'm eating rice to begin with...to soak up the flavors from what's around it. White rice is often preferred to me because of this quality (as is white bread).
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always cook white basmati or jasmine, but if I want more fiber or I want my rice to stand out, I LOVE black rice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has more fibre and protein than white.
    But hardly. Not enough to truly state that brown rice is significantly a better choice due to nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Which is why at sushi restaurants, brown rice is the preferred option over white rice..........................................not.
    Taste is subjective. Some don't like nutty taste with their sushi.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    the difference is that white rice tastes good. Particularly Jasmine rice which also smells heavenly
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Brown rice has more fibre and protein than white.
    But hardly. Not enough to truly state that brown rice is significantly a better choice due to nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're right, it doesn't have significantly more fiber and I wouldn't suggest that someone eat brown rice instead of white rice unless they enjoyed it. I eat brown over white because I enjoy it more. The fact that it has a bit of extra fiber, fat, and protein is just an extra. Even if they were exactly the same nutritionally I would still choose brown rice.

I think, as with all things, you should eat the foods you love and just eat less instead of substituting with something you don't really enjoy. There is no real reason to switch to brown rice unless you enjoy it!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Which is why at sushi restaurants, brown rice is the preferred option over white rice..........................................not.
    Taste is subjective. Some don't like nutty taste with their sushi.

Agree. I don't even have white rice at home because I prefer the taste of brown as a side dish and in most recipes. But I'm not a fan of brown rice sushi.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The smaller the difference, the bigger the fan base. I like brown rice and I have a great baked rice recipe. The only way I make it now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    difference is negligible- people claim brown rice is better because its' "less processed" but honestly- as you noticed- there is minimal difference.

Eat which ever one you prefer. I dislike brown rice- it's crunchy and tastes weird- I prefer white rice- so that's what I eat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    difference is negligible- people claim brown rice is better because its' "less processed" but honestly- as you noticed- there is minimal difference.

Eat which ever one you prefer. I dislike brown rice- it's crunchy and tastes weird- I prefer white rice- so that's what I eat.

Brown rice is crunchy??
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is crunchy only if you don't cook it long enough or with enough water.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Brown rice is crunchy??

-ier
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is the complete food as nature designed it.

White rice is one component of brown rice with the other components removed.

Many feel that a food is superior the closer it is to natural. Brown rice is closer to natural while white rice is more processed. That processing removes some nutrients and the fiber. The fiber aids in digestion.

I think it needs saying- being closer to a natural state =/= better.

based on your verbiage I'm sure you were staying fairly neutral on better or not- but I just think it needed stating in a plain fashion.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Rice is so overrated. Now pasta....that is meal I could really get involved with.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    Glycemic Index is the reason. Brown rice is like 50/100 while White is 90/100. It's the speed at which it's absorbed which spikes your blood sugar. And how much you get out of it. I mean, cardboard has calories and burns in the same test equipment but your body sure doesn't get those calories out of it.
    Only if your'e eating it by itself. When you add protein and fat to it, (as in a complete meal) glycemic index becomes a moot point...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Brown rice is crunchy??

-ier

I think you aren't cooking it properly. It shouldn't be crunchy at all.
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has higher levels of magnesium, zinc, iron, and vitamin B.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Brown rice has higher levels of magnesium, zinc, iron, and vitamin B.

Yep uncooked it does and even cooked, but because it's lock up in phytate (in the husk) it does not get absorbed by the body. That's why even though white rice has less micro nutrients they are more bio-available.