Did changing your diet ever help with binges?

Options
I have a very short history of binge-eating, just the past 2 years where I bought and hid junk food. I haven't done that again since joining MFP, and I think that it's realistic to think I can avoid ever doing that again. However I have still had some "binges" with white rice with soy sauce and maple syrup, or toast with butter and jam. Not nearly as bad as before, but they still put me over my maintenance calories into a surplus.

I have read/watched videos about some people claiming that going vegan or going low-carb really helped to remove the desire to binge. Because I tend to binge on these high-carb foods, I thought that a diet change might be worthwhile. I'm wondering if anyone here has had success changing their diet and their mentality/desire for excess together?

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Going low carb really helped me....not at first but when i became adapted I found if the need to eat was overwhelming a lchf pudding helped...
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Going low carb eliminated cravings for me, too. I'm NOT saying it's a miracle cure! But, for me, I don't have any cravings now whatsoever. However, I've never had binge eating issues as I cannot eat large amounts of food at all, but low carb definitely has improved my health overall.

Also, try keeping track of your emotions and/or situation when you do over eat. Find your triggers and replace non-food outlets for those feelings. It's trial and error, so just stick with it until you find what works for you.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I went low carb about 2 years ago. I hardly ever binge now, but when I do it is almost always the day after I allowed myself a sweet treat. Now I am extra careful on those days and I am hardly ever even tempted.

• desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is my story. I'm not trying to tell you to do anything other than to consider my path. Maybe some of this will speak to you.

I lack even a modicum of self control. I love(d) all things I could smoke, snort, pop, or rub on your belly.

I quit drugs and smokes a long time ago. I learned I can't control myself when did drugs. I can't do moderation. I'm so jealous of those who can.

So onto binge eating:

Because I lack self control I cannot eat one potato chip. I'm unable to have only one slice of pizza. I don't even understand the idea of just one doughnut. I want to be Supersized.

Hmm. Look at the foods I just listed. What do all of these foods have in common? What does a pizza and a glazed doughnut have in common? Pepperoni? Nope. Simple carbs. Refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, refined bleach wheat flour, etc.

Funny, I never crave foods that lack simple carbs. I never crave an entire roast turkey. I never have a hankering' for thirds of grilled Brussels sprouts. I want my simple carbs! AND I WANT THEM NOW!

Wait a minute. This doesn't make sense. This may FEEL like hunger but it isn't. I remember this feeling. It's addiction! To me it sounded like the same addictions I beat decades ago. For me, an "Eating Binge" is just another word for a drug binge. Like a drinking binge, a smoking binge, a cocaine binge, whatever.

So what do (did) I do when I feel a food binge coming on?

1) If I feel a binge coming on I immediately drink one quart of water. I hate plain water so I add some flavor enhancer. Flavor enhancer is always in my house - in large quantities.

2) I vilify the binge. I ask myself: "How about a big pork chop instead of (a dozen doughnuts, large pizza, whatever)?" I lovelovelove grilled pork chops! So if my body says "NO! I want PIZZA!" then I realize this is my carb addiction talking, not real hunger.

3) So I Get Moving. If I can sit around and wait for a pizza, if I can walk to the fridge to eat, then I can go outside and take a damn walk. I get off my butt and MOVE. I do not have the right to binge if I can't walk for thirty minutes first.

4) If the binge is still there I eat. I eat a lot. I stuff myself silly. But I eat protein - steak, pork chops, whatever. And when I say a lot I mean A LOT. Like 16oz of steak. It's a lot of calories but nothing compared to the binge of an entire large pizza, wings and huge cookie I used to do.

It took a while - over a year of effort - to get unhooked. I failed about 100 times. I can't tell you the number of times I shoveled pizza in my mouth, crying like a baby, filled with shame, realizing I had no control.

But over time time my binges began to space out. Instead of one a day it was one every three days. Then once a week, then once a month. I haven't binged in two months.

Thanks for reading.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Since I started eating more (and still losing weight in the process) it has become easier. I am able to fit foods I'd previously banned myself from having into my day to day life. And I've lost the all or nothing I've blown it so might as well pig out now mentality.

There are some foods I don't have in the house in large or multi packs, because I know I can eat them in one whole sitting. But I still have them, just get a smaller amount for that one day.

A lot of my binge eating has been due to mental health and emotional problems. Since changing jobs before having my last baby, I feel so much better in myself and my binge eating has declined as a result too. It's definitely worth having a good honest look at the when, where and why behind your binges, to find the real problem.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Thank you @desweds and @ARC1603 for sharing your stories <3
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    desweds wrote: »
    This is my story. I'm not trying to tell you to do anything other than to consider my path. Maybe some of this will speak to you.

I lack even a modicum of self control. I love(d) all things I could smoke, snort, pop, or rub on your belly.

I quit drugs and smokes a long time ago. I learned I can't control myself when did drugs. I can't do moderation. I'm so jealous of those who can.

So onto binge eating:

Because I lack self control I cannot eat one potato chip. I'm unable to have only one slice of pizza. I don't even understand the idea of just one doughnut. I want to be Supersized.

Hmm. Look at the foods I just listed. What do all of these foods have in common? What does a pizza and a glazed doughnut have in common? Pepperoni? Nope. Simple carbs. Refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, refined bleach wheat flour, etc.

Funny, I never crave foods that lack simple carbs. I never crave an entire roast turkey. I never have a hankering' for thirds of grilled Brussels sprouts. I want my simple carbs! AND I WANT THEM NOW!

Wait a minute. This doesn't make sense. This may FEEL like hunger but it isn't. I remember this feeling. It's addiction! To me it sounded like the same addictions I beat decades ago. For me, an "Eating Binge" is just another word for a drug binge. Like a drinking binge, a smoking binge, a cocaine binge, whatever.

So what do (did) I do when I feel a food binge coming on?

1) If I feel a binge coming on I immediately drink one quart of water. I hate plain water so I add some flavor enhancer. Flavor enhancer is always in my house - in large quantities.

2) I vilify the binge. I ask myself: "How about a big pork chop instead of (a dozen doughnuts, large pizza, whatever)?" I lovelovelove grilled pork chops! So if my body says "NO! I want PIZZA!" then I realize this is my carb addiction talking, not real hunger.

3) So I Get Moving. If I can sit around and wait for a pizza, if I can walk to the fridge to eat, then I can go outside and take a damn walk. I get off my butt and MOVE. I do not have the right to binge if I can't walk for thirty minutes first.

4) If the binge is still there I eat. I eat a lot. I stuff myself silly. But I eat protein - steak, pork chops, whatever. And when I say a lot I mean A LOT. Like 16oz of steak. It's a lot of calories but nothing compared to the binge of an entire large pizza, wings and huge cookie I used to do.

It took a while - over a year of effort - to get unhooked. I failed about 100 times. I can't tell you the number of times I shoveled pizza in my mouth, crying like a baby, filled with shame, realizing I had no control.

But over time time my binges began to space out. Instead of one a day it was one every three days. Then once a week, then once a month. I haven't binged in two months.

Thanks for reading.

Luv...
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    ARC1603 wrote: »
    Since I started eating more (and still losing weight in the process) it has become easier. I am able to fit foods I'd previously banned myself from having into my day to day life. And I've lost the all or nothing I've blown it so might as well pig out now mentality.

There are some foods I don't have in the house in large or multi packs, because I know I can eat them in one whole sitting. But I still have them, just get a smaller amount for that one day.

A lot of my binge eating has been due to mental health and emotional problems. Since changing jobs before having my last baby, I feel so much better in myself and my binge eating has declined as a result too. It's definitely worth having a good honest look at the when, where and why behind your binges, to find the real problem.

Similar to what has been said here ^^^

My binges have reduced dramatically with my headspace now being more positive. Occasionally I still have a binge - I'm also one of those who can't have one chip I need the whole (large) bag. So I try not to have that stuff in the house. I rarely crave chocolate binges these days too. Usually a few days before my period I will get a "I NEED TO EAT EVERYTHING" day (one day only - used be days) - so I give myself one big sweet decadent huge slice of cake or whatever then feel ill from all the sugar and the binge is curbed for another month.

I don't do low-carb so that hasn't had any impact on my desire to binge less. But the carb thing is a personal choice - works for some, doesn't for others. My short attempt at low carbing had be bingeing on total crap almost on a daily basis, so I'm better off eating a bowl of spag bol or eggs on toast or whatever than having half a cake in one sitting.
  • plyadnov
    plyadnov Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Might be repeating what others have said, but here is my 2 cents:

1) Figure out why you want to eat things that you know are not good for you. I'm going to bet it's feelings/thoughts you are trying to get away from. People use food, drugs, alcohol, work, etc. to do that. But if this is the reason for your binge eating, changing a diet won't make the problem go away. I'd suggest just trying to learn to be OK with those thoughts and learning not to do anything about them. Easier said than done, but it's worth a shot.

2) Figure out a diet that doesn't restrict you to the point where you go nuts the moment your nose smells something that it likes. My diet still allows me to have ice cream or cookies...but within limit. Mistake I made the first time I went on a real diet was restrict myself way too much. Perhaps allowing yourself to have some of these favorite foods once in a while will reduce your craving for them. Also buy enough for one session...don't buy in bulk...otherwise that bulk could turn into a single serving haha.

Good luck!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Eating LCHF has completely taken away food cravings for me. I eat when I'm hungry until I am full, then stop eating. There is no need to snack after I feel satisfied. I now can go long periods of time without eating. When I am hungry, I eat again. When I eat tomorrow at breakfast, it will be 36 hours without food for me. I will eat bacon and eggs until I am full.
  • kittygoesvegan
    kittygoesvegan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me, being vegan has helped stop the binge eating. It's not easy!! But all of the things I loved, cheesy, greasy, fried, whatever - all seem to be not vegan. So if I can stick to my morals, it curbs my appetite for terrible food until I can make better choices. Though there's a lot more to making the decision to be vegan, it's taken me a long time to commit to it.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    A vegan diet has helped me cut back on loads of unhealthy foods I once ate, especially helpful when shopping for groceries as so many snacks, cakes, sweets, desserts and biscuits have meat/dairy products in them and luckily I found it fairly easy to stop buying them once I started reading the nutrition labels. BUT ... there's loads of high-carb alternatives to all the above plus if you enjoy cooking and baking it's easy to make delicious treats at home and binge on those instead. Vegan food has changed my tastes though; dairy cheese, for instance, I thought would be hard to give up but it was surprisingly a lot easier as found alternatives I like. Would say do a little research beforehand if anyone does decide to give it a try; the Vegan Society website has loads of helpful info.
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It helps to eat earlier in the day & not later in the day. Might have to do with metabolism & sleeping.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The only thing that ever helped me with my binges:
    Don't starve myself.
    Eat a balanced diet-don't forget fats and protein!
  • lauralou211
    lauralou211 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is great I binge a lot and tend to do when alone which is even worse :( ️lots of protein this week and hopefully will kurb my cravings !!!! Thanks guys
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Low carb also helped me with binges. I cut out white flour and white rice and pasta and that made a difference.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eating better - allowing myself more fat, more taste, giving myself more variety, more enjoyment - cooking from whole real food ingredients, having a meal plan - the awareness in planning meals, portion control, balance - getting educated, experimenting - and not keeping trigger foods at home - has helped with overeating/grazing/cravings. I have recently come to the conclusion that my eating problems are not related to emotions, but to taste, habit, attitude and availability. I eat basically the same foods as before, but in other quantities and a lot more structured.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have recently started 16:8 intermittent fasting. It has completely stopped my binge eating. I know that I can eat whatever I want in a quantity that satisfies me when I reach my eating window. I'm not saying "everything I want". But it gives me enough calories in two sittings to feel like I'm not depriving myself. It has also really helped me because I'm not constantly having to think about food and plan as much as before. This approach isn't one-size-fits-all, but it's working well for me.