Any over 45s with success ? I need some motivation

Options
jojobloss
jojobloss Posts: 27 Member
Hi
I've struggled with my weight all my life I've had a couple of years where I have been happy with it but it's since piled back on and I'm not sure what I've done so now in stuck with 2 1/2 stone to lose and I could do with someone telling me that just because I'm of a certain age I don't have to be this weight ... I'm about to have an op which will mean I'm not able to do much for 6 weeks but am prepared to join a gym when I can in the mean time what sort of calories should I try to stick to ... In short ... HELP ... Many thanks ... Jo X X X

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just because you're a certain age you don't have to be overweight. I'm nearly 62 and lost 63 pounds between the ages of 58-59. I believe that is what you were asking to hear and it is true. Just because you are a certain age does not mean you have to be over weight. Worth repeating.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am doing alright. Lost almost 30 pounds over the years and try to keep myself in decent shape for the sports I like. Never have reached that goal weight in the back of my mind, but I still work to see if I can make it happen. Really though, the biggest lesson I have learned in eating right and exercising after 40 is, you do it more to maintain or make small improvements in your life over just trying to hit some number goal. So many other benefits health wise you can reap from it, it just becomes a questions of maintain a quality of life.

One thing I found amazing is, the bio-mechanical effect of weight on knees. I started having issues with mine and with my weight loss, I have improved my movement playing sports and relieved a lot of pain. The stats everyone quotes are: for every 1 pound of weight lost you relive about 4 pounds of impact weight on the joint! It makes a big difference! So even 5 lbs is an improvement. Not to mention reducing visceral fats around organs, improved cardiovasculat health, reduced risks of numerous health issues, and so much more!

We all want to look AMAZING, but there is so much more that is happening inside our bodies to improve our lives, we need to look past that outer self sometimes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 51 and am almost to goal. If you are in perimenopause I feel for you. That was a hard time for me. It didn't stop me from losing, it just made it more of a struggle.

You don't need a gym to lose weight. How many calories you should eat varies from person to person based on your height, starting weight and activity level. You should also give consideration to how quickly you want to lose. Most people would love to lose quickly, but it's not always the right choice. Losing too quickly can lead to problems like muscle loss, bone loss (especially true for older ladies), saggy skin, and you may simply find it unsustainable to eat such low calories.

I am 5'6" and eat about 1500 calories per day on average. I don't eat the same number every day, though. My daily calories vary from 1000 to 2000+.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 43, so not quite there but close. Age really doesn't have all that much to do with it - I sometimes feel/felt that I could "get away" with stuff when I was younger but that was really just an excuse for my weight gain. I started MFP about 70 days ago at 263, weighed 235 this morning.

My $0.02

The Basics:
    Eating for Weightloss. Calories In less than Calories Out. Get a digital food scale. I was WAY underestimating the amount of food/calories I was eating. If CI<CO, you will lose weight. It's that simple (Note: Simple isn't always easy, but it is simple).

Exercise for Fitness. Do it for improved fitness, fun, improve quality of life, etc., but "You can't out-run your fork" (or at least I can't).

Best of luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am in my fifties and I've lost a significant amount of weight. Harder doesn't mean impossible. You also have the advantage of maturity, which means you don't give up easy. That will come in handy.

Let MFP set a calorie goal for you, and learn from your logging what portions work for you.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Manage your portion size and calories starting now and add some fitness when the doctor clears you. No need to delay eating to a deficit, time to re-train your eating habits.
  • PaulBonham
    PaulBonham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm also 45, I started using mfp four weeks ago and have lost 8lbs. I have increased my exercise levels, but the main reason for my loss was tracking and understanding my calories (mainly how much those little snacks add up...). Set up your account/profile and it will tell you what you need to do to lose weight. As others have said, don't aim for too much too soon as it will make it more difficult and you are more likely to get fed up with it and give up.
  • jojobloss
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for replying it means a lot ... And it's great to hear that age doesn't mean I can't do it :) ... It's given me new hope so here's to a fresh start in the morning and a new determination ..
  • jojobloss
    Options
    You look amazing well done :) and thank you for the inspiration ... Xxxx
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You are starting years earlier than me so well done.
    55 now - I'm back to the weight I was in my 20's, probably fitter than ever (setting PB's for cycling), very healthy, working at getting back to lifetime bests for strength work, irresitable to the opposite sex. OK - that last one's a lie.... :smiley:

Age doesn't change the fact that if you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

Don't rush your weight loss, my advice would be make it sustainable and as similar as possible to how you intend to maintain at your new weight.
  • meglet2202
    meglet2202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My first post! I'm 48, 49 next week, and I haven't had any problem losing weight. I started at 170, 5'1", and lost 35 pounds so easily. 1.5-2 pounds a week. It's slowed down a little, but that's my fault. I'm less strict with my calories than I used to be, so I just changed my goals to .5 from 1 pound a week. I sort of do the IF thing, only eat from noon to 7 at night. Sometimes I wonder if that's why I'm losing so easily, so much more than I should be, really. I have about 14 more to go til my goal, then I'll decide if I'm happy there. Age hasn't affected me at all. I'm trying to lose it, though, before perimenopause sets in.
  • jojobloss
    Options
    I can't believe all these amazing stories .. I'm thinking the only thing that's been stopping me ... Is me !!! .. You are all amazing and I would be so proud to be where you all are now well done :) .. It's given me massive hope .. Thank you all so much I'll keep you all posted.. Xxxx
  • AlecB62
    AlecB62 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've just turned 53 and have lost 2 1/2 stone since May.
    Decide how much you want to lose and how quickly and MFP will set you a target for your calories, I started out on 1800 a day I think, now on 1420 a day which sounded difficult but I'm finding it quite easy really.

You can do it, you just need to convince yourself
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am a 53 year old 4'11" lady. I started at 150 lbs and am now 102 lbs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jojobloss wrote: »
    Hi
    I've struggled with my weight all my life I've had a couple of years where I have been happy with it but it's since piled back on and I'm not sure what I've done so now in stuck with 2 1/2 stone to lose and I could do with someone telling me that just because I'm of a certain age I don't have to be this weight ... I'm about to have an op which will mean I'm not able to do much for 6 weeks but am prepared to join a gym when I can in the mean time what sort of calories should I try to stick to ... In short ... HELP ... Many thanks ... Jo X X X

Just because you're a certain age you don't have to be that weight

I lost 4 stone ...started at age 47

My av is me and I have other pics in my profile

My body is fitter, stronger and shapelier than it ever was and I had a rocking body in my 20s

Calorie count
    Move more
    Lift heavy
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ps I was a lazy couch potato who loved food

I am now a generally active person who spends a lot of time in the evening on the couch and still loves food

I'm just the other side

It took 8 months to get to goal but my plan was, and is, never to stop cos maintenance is just as important
  • jojobloss
    Options
    I'm so excited :) these messages have really made me feel positive about it all I'm so determined now ... Thank you all so much for replying I can't tell you how much it's given me .. Yay here's to a smaller bum
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    BeccaColliesBurton Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow HappyCampr you look fabulous!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started st 59, now 60 and still making progress. I was convinced that it was impossible for my body to lose weight before I started, so imagine my surprise and delight! And the weight loss success must compete with my gains in strength, mobility, and functionality for which is more impressive! Lol.

You might like the Facebook page for Get Fit Over 40 (no affiliation).

SW 301
    CW 189
    GW 150
    16 months
  • jojobloss
    Options
    Ooooh I'll look for that thank you anything to get this midriff and awful mood that goes with it gone ...well
    Done you xxxx