May not seem like much

Options
I did 5k on the treadmill. It wasn't quick and it may not seem far but considering 2 months ago I was dying doing a mile I'm super psyched. Going to do 5k for 2 weeks then start on a 4 week to run a mile program. I know I know 4 weeks for a mile but I've never ran a day in my adult life lol and that's a lot of adult days :D

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome victory! Good for you!
  • shaynaboyce25
    shaynaboyce25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well Done !!!:)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Seems like quite a lot to me.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it!!!

I am 52 and I also had never run anywhere since childhood. In January of this year I started doing 10, then 15, the 20 minutes on the treadmill. Then I did 10, 15, 20 minutes outside.

When I could walk an hour, I started jogging, 30 seconds the first time! I was so proud of myself just for daring to try to run and then I did 1 lap around an indoor track, a tenth of a mile!

Then I started with the C25K (Couch 2 5K) app on my phone. It recommends that you should be able to walk briskly for at least a half an hour before you start.

I gradually worked up to being able to jog 5k! Now, lots of people walk as fast as I jog, but I don't care, I FEEL LIKE I'M FLYING!

I have entered 5 5k races so far and made a commitment to myself to do one each month for a year. My family thinks I have been abducted by aliens.

I know you can reach your goals. Don't stop! You are worth it!

• Sinnister78
    Sinnister78 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Great job! You will be AMAZED with what you can accomplish. Slow and steady.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    You CAN do it!!!

I am 52 and I also had never run anywhere since childhood. In January of this year I started doing 10, then 15, the 20 minutes on the treadmill. Then I did 10, 15, 20 minutes outside.

When I could walk an hour, I started jogging, 30 seconds the first time! I was so proud of myself just for daring to try to run and then I did 1 lap around an indoor track, a tenth of a mile!

Then I started with the C25K (Couch 2 5K) app on my phone. It recommends that you should be able to walk briskly for at least a half an hour before you start.

I gradually worked up to being able to jog 5k! Now, lots of people walk as fast as I jog, but I don't care, I FEEL LIKE I'M FLYING!

I have entered 5 5k races so far and made a commitment to myself to do one each month for a year. My family thinks I have been abducted by aliens.

I know you can reach your goals. Don't stop! You are worth it!

NICE NSV!! I am loving that your family is in awe of you too! Way to go. I am not a runner either although I LOVE fitness classes..Learning how to run is on my bucket list.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well done you!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaay!
  • mogobam
    mogobam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! I just recently had this same victory, and it's a huge thing. Nicely done!
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Boy did my hips feel it the next day lol but after a day off I can't wait to go try it again tonight at the gym
  • shagoaly
    shagoaly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great Job Keep it up work at your pace!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Impressive!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!