Beginners gym routine?

Options
I have had a gym membership for awhile and use it here and there. I would like to get on a regular routine. I've read many places that to HELP burn belly fat, where I need it the most, you should be working on the weight machines as well. I know my gym has some, just wondering which are the best for aiding in weight loss and how much of each should I do a day so I can get on a routine. I'm a total beginner though.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Head for the free weights section. Accept you can't spot reduce. Losing fat is mainly about diet.

But exercise and muscles are an important part in looking awesome

Read this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Get a programme
    Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Why?
    wxy1lxqvbhdn.jpg

Also see Staci
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

If you can't bring yourself to do free weights yet then do a decent bodyweight programme
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

But it all comes down to calorie intake for fat loss so don't forget your calorie counting
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    OK Take a deep breath.

First a couple general comments:

1. No machines (or any sort of exercise) will target belly fat. Fat loss happens gradually all over, and you can't force your body to spot reduce fat.

2. Secondly there is no 'best' exercise for weight loss. Exercise can burn a few extra calories, and of course is good for overall health. But weight loss is primarily a function of getting your diet in order.

So that out of the way, what sort of equipment does your gym have? Is it all weight machines, or does it have free weights too? Most of the solid beginning weight lifting programs use free weights (barbells with plates, dumbbells, etc), although if you don't have that equipment available, you could try to re-create the routine using the available machines.

• aalcazar27
    aalcazar27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We have both free weights and machines. I know you can't target anything specifically but I was saying that I've read that weights and weight machines help.

I do walk about 10,000 steps a day and that has been helping. I run on the treadmill when I can or walk the bike paths. I'm counting calories. I know it's a slow and steady process, but I'm trying to figure out the best ways to get a routine going so I can feel good about my workouts. I've got a first goal of 20lbs.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you considered meeting with a trainer at your gym to learn how to lift properly?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My advice would be to start with a bodyweight routine which focuses on increasing strength, mobility, flexibility, althetic endurance, and stabilization. Once you've gotten that down you can move to a routine that focuses on increasing strength with freeweights. Especially if you are a COMPLETE beginner as you said, you'll want to start training in a way that is both safe to reduce risk of injuries and progressive so that you don't stall out on results.

A good routine to start with (complete beginner) that i've seen people enjoy is:
    You are your own gym by Joshua Clark and Mark Lauren
    Beginner Body Weight Workout by Nerd Fitness
    30-day Shred by Jillian Michaels

Once you've built up a bit and these are no longer enough then you can move on to a beginner's weight lifting routine:
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New rules of lifting for Women by Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler
    etc.

I would take this time to learn things slowly and accurately and make sure to focus on stretching and rolling to reduce risk of injury.

If you need someone to check your form or to test your current level of fitness I would recommend a personal trainer for 1 or 2 sessions just to make sure you're doing everything properly. No need to invest in one full time but they can be helpful in making sure you are properly performing an exercise.

edit: oh yeah, and you can't spot reduce fat. So make sure you are in a calorie deficit. :)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For fat loss, unfortunately, you really have to tighten up your diet.

There's a couple things to help though - and it depends on what your end goals are so take all things into consideration here. One would be if you really just want to lose the weight and are not looking to really improve LBM then cardio is the way to go. It burns way more calories for use today, figuratively. Doing cardio for an hour (or whatever) will burn more calories right away than doing weights. So you can actually eat more and still be in a deficit. If you're looking to increase LBM (which will change the aesthetics of your body; if you hear people talking about re-comp this is usually what they're talking about) then you should be lifting, and perhaps lifting heavy with something like a strong lifts 5 x 5 program.

You can't spot reduce, unfortunately. So you really have to make overall better choices and you will probably start to see a difference. Now that being said, sometimes people lose faster in one area or one area is bigger than others so you it looks like you're losing more there but you're really losing overall in that case.

Feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat - I started at 340lbs and down to 255lbs, and I've learned a lot of information in the process :) Good Luck

ETA: for me personally, and I don't know that this works for everyone, I've found best results with running 3 days/week and doing crossfit/bootcamp style 2 - 3 days/week and then heavy/olympic lifting on the other day. I work out 6 days/week so some weeks I do 3 days of cross fit and some times only 2. It works for me, again may not work for everyone :) Just some food for thought when designing your routine.
  • aalcazar27
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks a lot, @rainbowbow I'll look into those. I'm not sure what my gym does as far as personal training does but I'll look into it for sure.
  • aalcazar27
    Options
    @acorsaut89 can I add you?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    aalcazar27 wrote: »
    @acorsaut89 can I add you?

Absolutely! Add away :)
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Years ago I popped for a personal trainer for awile. I sure found it very helpful. He taught me how to properly use equipment and a basic routine. Interestingly, he told me then I needed to eat more protein. Flash forward...dieting now I found I wasn't eating enough protein.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    aalcazar27 wrote: »
    I have had a gym membership for awhile and use it here and there. I would like to get on a regular routine. I've read many places that to HELP burn belly fat, where I need it the most, you should be working on the weight machines as well. I know my gym has some, just wondering which are the best for aiding in weight loss and how much of each should I do a day so I can get on a routine. I'm a total beginner though.

Over all weight loss is the key to burning belly fat. You cannot spot train any specific areas for weight loss. In my opinion, group fitness classes are wonderful. The group weight training classes will teach you modified moves if your a beginner and you will learn more advanced exercises as you progress. You will be able to use what you learned from the group fitness classes so you'll know what to do when you hit the gym on your own. If your wanting to add cardio into your routine, Zumba is tons of fun and step aerobics is an excellent workout. Pilates and yoga, will help strengthen your core and improve balance in the weight room.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Are you a Pinterest member? I'd definitely suggest typing in 'beginner workouts' or something similiar. There are a lot of articles and routines available for you! :] Otherwise, a simple google search will bring the same results!

If you are a member of a gym, a trainer or member of staff will be happy to design a bespoke plan for you (Some charge, some don't).

Congratulations on getting started. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The weight-lifting is good for you, even aside from how it might help you to look better, but it won't help you lose weight in any one spot.

Lift the weights, do the cardio, watch the calories and have patience. It will come off. :)
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Some great advice posted already, just to add my 2 pence worth:

Diet trumps everything you can do in the gym (certainly in terms of fat loss), so you've got to get that right first.

As for workout frequency, intensity, and duration, I would look for something that is sustainable for you in the long term i.e. don't commit to 6 days a week if you know life will get in the way and make it impossible. (the same rule applies to diet).

I think doing two or three one-hour gym sessions a week (30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weights) will give you a good bang for your buck.

A lot of people will insist you need to do more - and if you want to reach your full potential you probably do - but a lot of us don't mind not reaching our full potential if it gives us more time for other interests.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Some great advice posted already, just to add my 2 pence worth:

Diet trumps everything you can do in the gym (certainly in terms of fat loss), so you've got to get that right first.

As for workout frequency, intensity, and duration, I would look for something that is sustainable for you in the long term i.e. don't commit to 6 days a week if you know life will get in the way and make it impossible. (the same rule applies to diet).

I think doing two or three one-hour gym sessions a week (30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weights) will give you a good bang for your buck.

A lot of people will insist you need to do more - and if you want to reach your full potential you probably do - but a lot of us don't mind not reaching our full potential if it gives us more time for other interests.

Agreed.
  • aalcazar27
    Options
    @hamlet1222 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes of weights sounds doable and sustainable, especially if I start out at 2 or 3 days a week. Thank you for your advice... it's very solid and plan to go with your suggestions.