Anyone have a beer most days? Does it stop you losing weight?

Options
I usually have one pint of beer (half a litre) after work. Does alcohol sabotage your weight loss?

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I usually have a drink a day. Sometimes a beer, sometimes wine, sometimes a cocktail. It doesn't sabotage me because I make room for it in my calories. Cheers!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have a beer most nights. When I have 1 and fit it in my calories I don't sabotage myself. When I don't stop at one the ish hits the fan
  • cat_monster
    cat_monster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cheers!

Slange!

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Yes. No.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Beer gets stored as fat most of the in you lower belly hence it's called "beer belly." You should try to avoid as much as you can. I stopped drinking sugary drinks and got better results when I drank them
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    Beer gets stored as fat most of the in you lower belly hence it's called "beer belly." You should try to avoid as much as you can. I stopped drinking sugary drinks and got better results when I drank them

It'll only get stored as fat if the beer is putting you in to a caloric excess.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually have one pint of beer (half a litre) after work. Does alcohol sabotage your weight loss?

It's fine. Just don't go over your calories. I try to work in a drink most days, but I usually prefer an ounce of whiskey, since it's easier to work in (unless I got for one my cask strength bottles, some of those clock in at 100 calories per ounce).

@IconStillFree False. Just utterly, and completely false.
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I found that cutting out drinking beer has sped up my weight loss significantly.
    1) I can't have one beer
    2) I can't resist bar food
    3) I don't have confidence in MFP's beer nutrition entries
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I drink at least once every few days, usually a beer or two. I just account for it those days and consume less calories in other areas.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not beer but wine. I have 8 ounces a night. Sometimes 5. Sometimes 10. But I have it only if it fits in my calorie goal. I've lost 17 pounds since July and am 5 pounds from my goal. I've been losing at the rate I wanted, too.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I save enough calories for a beer or ice cream every night. Doesn't slow down my weight loss.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I cut back from a pint after work to 330ml, and now have it about every other day, and I also sometimes have a pint with lunch at work. I log it and fit it in with my calories and still lose weight. It does mean I have to be more careful with everything else I eat that day, but it's worth it. Sustaining a no beer diet for months would be misery for me and I wouldn't stick to it.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I cut back from a pint after work to 330ml, and now have it about every other day, and I also sometimes have a pint with lunch at work. I log it and fit it in with my calories and still lose weight. It does mean I have to be more careful with everything else I eat that day, but it's worth it. Sustaining a no beer diet for months would be misery for me and I wouldn't stick to it.

Man, I wish I had a job where I could drink on my lunch break!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have a beer and a wine almost every night. I haven't gone over my calorie limit once since I started 6 months ago, and I've lost 21 kg.

I do a fair bit of walking.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    beer always makes me go over, but I am always in a deficit so I don't feel too horrible
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It stops you from burning fat. For 48-72 hours. In YOUR case, you'll NEVER burn fat, just sugar.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If it's logged and you are within your calorie allowance, there is absolutely no reason why this should effect your weight loss! :)
  • hamlet1222
    Options

What's stopping you? You just need some work colleagues who are up for having lunch out somewhere that serves beer.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options

What's stopping you? You just need some work colleagues who are up for having lunch out somewhere that serves beer.

I'm currently working in the medical ICU... I don't think they'd be too happy. :'(
  • hamlet1222
    Options

I'm currently working in the medical ICU... I don't think they'd be too happy. :'(

sorry to hear it - I should also have added you need a boss who doesn't notice/mind. :-)