help! calorie goal 3000???

Options
How is it possible for me to loose 2lbs a week that my calorie goal is 3000??

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and what did you set your activity level as?
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I assume you weigh 500 lbs or you over estimate how active you are. My husband was at 420 and pretty active, he could eat 2900, he never did..but he has lost 110lbs.
    How is it possible for me to loose 2lbs a week that my calorie goal is 3000??

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height, weight, etc. What is your height, weight and activity level? Also, is that what MFP suggests? How did you set MFP when you created your account?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your profile states you have 245lbs to lose . . . so assuming an average weight of like 175 as your goal, then 245 + 175 = 420 lbs approx starting weight (give or take for margin of error, of course)

When your body is bigger you burn more calories just to stay alive because it takes so much more energy to just move or walk. So if you're really big to start with and/or you've over estimated however you are then I'd say this is how. If you are really big to start (I was 340 lbs when I started) then you actually have a larger margin of error and you can eat that and lose (if those are legitimately your stats . . . of course). As you start to lose and you update your weight then you'll notice MFP automatically adjusts your daily caloric intake to what your new weight is.

Good Luck :)
  • jameswilkins1988
    jameswilkins1988 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great thanks a lot for the advice I'm not sure if I have done it right I weigh 476 and want a goal loss of 266 I believe I've done it wrong perhaps lol I'm not great with numbers and apps
  • jameswilkins1988
    Options
    My height is 6'2 my weight is 476lbs I would like to loose 266lbs my activity level is pretty low
  • jameswilkins1988
    Options
    I'm 27
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    I'm calculating your TDEE at 3850. To lose 2 pounds a week, you need to eat 2850.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My height is 6'2 my weight is 476lbs I would like to loose 266lbs my activity level is pretty low

At sedentary

d7u4wjx7hxjl.jpg

http://www.weightloss-calculator.net
  • jameswilkins1988
    Options
    Oh really that's crazy.. The diet I've been put on by the hospital is around 1500-1800 a day so here's hoping I can shift more than 2lbs a week
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So based on the stats you just said, at 27 years old, and a sedentary job/desk job with little exercise and eating 6 meals/day (accounting for snacks) with a goal of 20% calorie reduction for loss then you BMR is 3787 which is what you burn just by surviving, no exercise and not even daily routines. Your daily calories to maintain, or TDEE, is 4544 (so basic every day activities included). Your calories needed for loss with a 20% calorie reduction is 3635. If you’d like to go more aggressive than that, it would be 3408 for 25% reduction, and quicker loss.

Again, this is just an estimate based on the information provided. Actual numbers MIGHT be different.

ETA: here's where I did the calculation http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Oh really that's crazy.. The diet I've been put on by the hospital is around 1500-1800 a day so here's hoping I can shift more than 2lbs a week
    15-1800 calories is low for someone you height/weight. I will add that most people are terrible at counting calories when they first begin. It's possible that with cheat days, erros, slip ups, etc that 15-1800 calories might end up actually being 3000+ a week. If you count your calories extremely accurately (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101) than 3000 calories seems like a very reasonable starting point.
  • jameswilkins1988
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the info guys!!
  • Sued0nim
    Options

That is different

Medically monitored VLCD diet can often be used short term when the risks if obesity outweigh the risks of fast weight loss

Only your med team should advise on this as they have your test and monitoring in hand
  • jameswilkins1988
    Options
    I have been put on this diet for 8 weeks and I'm being monitored by the obesity team at my hospital the reason for this diet is to shrink my liver down so it can be lifted way from my stomach so they can preform a gastric bypass
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    I have been put on this diet for 8 weeks and I'm being monitored by the obesity team at my hospital the reason for this diet is to shrink my liver down so it can be lifted way from my stomach so they can preform a gastric bypass

You should follow the diet given to you by your medical team, especially if your liver is enlarged.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    This is an extremely specific situation. It changes things quite a bit. If your plan is to have bypass surgery than you should absolutely listen to your medical team. Are you certain about the surgery? If you are not, you need to share that with your medical team as well.

• jameswilkins1988
    Options
    I have and will continue to follow the diet assigned by the hospital I'm just using this app to track my progress and keep me on track. Yes I'm 100% certain about the surgery.. Thanks guys
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Listen to vismal please
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm 470 pounds at 6'2" 53 and male. My TDEE is currently 3810 per MFP. To lose two pounds a week I could eat about. 2810 calories a day. I neve come close to that. But I can really eat quite a bit for now. As I keep losing it will become less and less.