Last Couple of Kg Not Budging

Options
Help! I have 2.5kg to go to get to my goal weight (total weight loss would be 14kg). I have been stuck around this amount for ages and the weight won't budge. I'm on or slightly below my calorie allowance most days, with a larger deficit on days I exercise and exercise 3-5 times a week (I don't eat back exercise calories). I am logging accurately. Can't adjust my calorie allowance any more as it's already at the lowest recommended and I'm only 5'2 so not much wiggle room. I have ramped up the number of calories I burn on the treadmill but that doesn't seem to have made a difference either. My goal weight is 58kg and I have been hovering around 60-60.5 for months. I have a 'cheat' day once a week where I eat at maintenance or a tiny bit over. Any ideas?

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Help! I have 2.5kg to go to get to my goal weight (total weight loss would be 14kg). I have been stuck around this amount for ages and the weight won't budge. I'm on or slightly below my calorie allowance most days, with a larger deficit on days I exercise and exercise 3-5 times a week (I don't eat back exercise calories). I am logging accurately. Can't adjust my calorie allowance any more as it's already at the lowest recommended and I'm only 5'2 so not much wiggle room. I have ramped up the number of calories I burn on the treadmill but that doesn't seem to have made a difference either. My goal weight is 58kg and I have been hovering around 60-60.5 for months. I have a 'cheat' day once a week where I eat at maintenance or a tiny bit over. Any ideas?

So here's the unfortunate part about your situation, and you nailed it in your post: you're only 5'2 and don't have much room for error due to having a smaller frame. For example, right now you're at 60 KG which is 132 lbs. I have had body composition analysis testing done and at 5'10 and 255 lbs I have just under 140lbs of LBM alone, so with a bigger frame and still more weight to lose I can eat with a larger margin of error - although not too large otherwise I'll be back where I started :(. Your frame is much smaller and I'd say you have to be bang on with your eating. You said you're accurately logging, but are you sure? How do you know? You really don't have much room for error. Even though you don't eat back exercise calories you might think you're burning more than you are if you're using MFP estimates because they are grossly over estimated, unfortunately.

On your cheat days, what kinds of things do you eat? Are you absolutely sure it's as maintenance or just slightly above? I know this might sound elementary, but in your situation I'd say re-evaluate your food logging or even your food choices and tighten them up. In your situation even being off by 100 calories/day could be a big deal, whereas for someone my size being off by 100 calories isn't as big of a deal, but when I get closer to goal it will matter more.

Hope this helps :) and good luck.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    At 5'2" and 132 pounds, you should absolutely still be losing weight if your logging is correct, especially if you're not eating back exercise calories. I'm 5'3" and I started at 139; the weight melted off but I made sure I was accurate with my food by using a food scale. I'm going to second the question @acorsaut89 asked you: How are you sure your logging is correct?
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    NinjaChinchillaNZ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm positive my logging is accurate. I weigh and measure everything, and I mean everything, and log everything. I also eat simple meals. I don't use the MFP exercise estimates, I go by what my treadmill says I've burnt and log that number. I'm also careful with what I'm eating - I'm a Pescetarian so make sure to meet my protein requirements each day, and I eat a lot of different vegetables, so it's not like I'm using up all my calories on bread or things like that. On cheat days I eat sensibly and have a treat on top of that, usually chocolate or ice cream. If I have fast food I try to log that where possible as well. When I say eat to maintenance or just above that's going by what MFP calculates to be maintenance which is about 1550 calories. Every other day I'm just below my allowance or about 250 calories below on exercise days.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are notoriously inaccurate too!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your losses so far! If all your logging is absolutely perfect and complete, including all cheats and treats and you are not eating back exercise cals, then you might need to consider tightening up on those cheats/treats. They can add up fast and 1/2lb loss per week is only a1750 cal weekly deficit. You easily can eat that much or more in one stop at fast food, depending on what you order.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah I know treadmills aren't 100% accurate, but you have to have something to measure it by. It seems like once I do reach my goal weight it's going to be near impossible to maintain, as even in the past when I've had 'time off' from eating in a deficit I still gain weight even though I'm eating at what's supposed to be maintenance, so I kind of wonder whether my actual maintenance figure is significantly lower than what it's calculated as. I have got to my goal weight before, and put 5kg back on over Christmas last year (as you do!) and over this year I lost 3kg of that and have been struggling with the last 2-2.5kg since then. Nothing has changed since I did it last time, except maybe I'm exercising harder on the treadmill than before, and I started a new type of contraceptive pill last year so it's possible that's having an effect on my weight as well.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice as I'm struggling with the same situation myself, but just wanted to throw out there that some people use a heart rate monitor to get an estimate for how many calories they're burning. Maybe that would be more accurate than what the treadmill says? Like I said, it's just an idea. :neutral:
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options
    Thanks for the idea, my treadmill has a HRM built in but I've never paid any attention to it before.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Be mor patient. Your losing . It will take longer for you body to drop, but stay the course. Measure your waist and thighs. You will se the results.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah I know treadmills aren't 100% accurate, but you have to have something to measure it by. It seems like once I do reach my goal weight it's going to be near impossible to maintain, as even in the past when I've had 'time off' from eating in a deficit I still gain weight even though I'm eating at what's supposed to be maintenance, so I kind of wonder whether my actual maintenance figure is significantly lower than what it's calculated as. I have got to my goal weight before, and put 5kg back on over Christmas last year (as you do!) and over this year I lost 3kg of that and have been struggling with the last 2-2.5kg since then. Nothing has changed since I did it last time, except maybe I'm exercising harder on the treadmill than before, and I started a new type of contraceptive pill last year so it's possible that's having an effect on my weight as well.

But if you're eating back those inaccurate calories, you could be wiping out your deficit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me at 5'4" and 130ish. Not budging. You can tell me I'm eating more than I think, fine. But I'm definitely in a deficit. I'm giving up. I can't eat any less and don't have the patience to lose any slower.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

But if you're eating back those inaccurate calories, you could be wiping out your deficit.

Given that I carefully measure and log everything that goes in my mouth it's incredibly unlikely I'm eating an extra 250 calories a day!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Same happened to me at 5'4" and 130ish. Not budging. You can tell me I'm eating more than I think, fine. But I'm definitely in a deficit. I'm giving up. I can't eat any less and don't have the patience to lose any slower.

SMACK! Settle down woman.

OP, I don't know you like I do her, so I can't smack you. I can say, relax and just keep up the excellent work. Stress is not helping it!
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

OP, I don't know you like I do her, so I can't smack you. I can say, relax and just keep up the excellent work. Stress is not helping it!

Oh, I'm not stressed, just mildly annoyed :expressionless:
    I am actually getting braces next week, and that's going to make eating difficult, so maybe that will help!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

lol. I just got smacked in the forums.

I'm settled down! I went to the bakery today.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    edited October 2015
    Options

I think you must have missed where I said I DON'T eat back exercise calories. I'm already in a deficit BEFORE exercise is taken into account, so even if the number of calories I burn on the treadmill is inaccurate, I'm still in a deficit because I don't eat any of it back.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    My job here is done! :smiley:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I think you must have missed where I said I DON'T eat back exercise calories. I'm already in a deficit BEFORE exercise is taken into account, so even if the number of calories I burn on the treadmill is inaccurate, I'm still in a deficit because I don't eat any of it back.

I guess I did miss it or you forgot to mention it. We're trying to help, there's no need to get angry about it.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    edited October 2015
    Options

I guess I did miss it or you forgot to mention it. We're trying to help, there's no need to get angry about it.

Uh, not angry. you're reading a tone into my post that isn't there. I mentioned in my original post that I don't eat back exercise calories.
  • Bartmg85
    Bartmg85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The last lbs or kg are the hardest to loose. I lost 20 pounds fast. I was at 175 lbs and now I'm stuck at 153-155. My goal is 145 and loose fat and not muscle. I'm going to stop doing cheat days and go down my sodium. I guess you have to be more strict to your diet and still do high intensity cardio. Just being consistent and it will work out.