Oatmeal

Options
I eat instant oatmeal and it has too much sugar in it. I was thinking of switching to regular oatmeal but the calories are the same per serving 50 g for 150 cals. I know I would have to put some bananas or something in that plain oatmeal in order to eat it so I figure it will be MORE cals once I add the fruit. So thats why I havent switched. Am I missing something?

Replies

• Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    GO TO MY DIARY FOR JUNE 5TH....I EAT THE OATMEAL WITH ALMOND MILK AND BLUEBERRIES...YOU'LL SEE MY NUMBERS
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i have been looking into the whole oatmeal thing lately. Even like the steel cut oats, the 10 grain, 20 grain whatever, they are all about the same calorie wise. The difference is, what you are putting into your body. The instant is just that. Lots of extra sodium, and other junk.

I have been doing the steel cut oats in the crockpot, and then individually portioning them into containers for the morning. They easy last a week or so. I add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and a pinch of clove to the water before cooking. Chopped apple and rasins are good too. After all is said and done, the calories are not that much higher, but you have a more nutritious breakfast than just a pak of instant.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Regular oatmeal keeps me satisfied a lot longer than the instant stuff. That's why I eat it.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Wow ROE thats even more cals for just the oatmeal. But less sugars...I just want the oatmeal to taste good minimum calories maximum amount.
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi I eat the steelcut oats that you have to cook stovetop. I always ate the instant kind but then when I saw the sugar and the sodium amounts I made the switch!! I cook a batch, which is one cup of the oatmeal, and I eat a half cup most mornings. I'll add fresh blueberries, raw honey or sugar free perserves to it.
  • Debbiecastor
    Options
    I agree with the steel cut oats thing!! I switched a couple of years ago and I really enjoy it!! And yes, that's the great thing, is all the healthy, tasty stuff you like, that you can add to it!! Keeps you full longer and it's very good for you!!:drinker:
  • frenchielover
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning, quaker quick one-minute oats with 1 splenda and some cinnamon. If i'm feeling fiesty I will add 1 tbsp of PB and/or half a banana. :glasses:
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    I use the reduced sugar variety of instant oatmeal. I have found it in generic brand at my local supermarket or at walmart and Quaker offers it too. The cals are almost the same, around 130 but the sugar is 4-6g
  • donnainstgeorge
    Options
    I can't give weight losing advice, since I am completely flat lined, but I can tell you that I use Splenda on my old fashioned oatmeal and it tastes yummy. I don't know about saving calories, but I do know that it saves money.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Definitely start eating whole oats. I also love steel cut, but you can try the rolled oats.

Try adding a tsp of maple syrup, agave, honey. I love adding so delicious coconut milk, and even 1/2 oz of nuts like walnuts or pecans.

Yes, it might be more calories, but you are getting a more substantial and meaningful meal and you can control the ingredients. Don't dwell too much on the calories so much, just enjoy your food, and eat the best most-close-to-nature choices you can find.
  • judyfurtado
    judyfurtado Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love village farm blueberry whole grain oatmeal. It has 120 calories and 1 g sugar per packet.
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    Since its essentially the same thing but just with extra added sugar, sodium, and flavorings, I think a serving of plain oats is just more food...

I love oatmeal... I eat it almost every day for breakfast with cinnamon, sliced almonds, frozen blueberries, and lately a tbs of cocoa powder. Its about 100 extra calories but its super nutrient dense and filling for my whole morning. And so good I get out of bed just to eat it.

For low cal flavorings, I suggest vanilla or any other flavoring extract, cocoa powder, cinnamon, stevia, and zero calorie sweetener drops. The cinnamon and cocoa powder even have the added benefit of extra fiber!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I often eat rolled oats with a few dried cranberries and cinnamon. Yum!

You should check out this site for great ways to make oatmeal more exciting: http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal
  • jene77
    jene77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I eat oatmeal I put a scoop of cookies and cream protein in it. It's very satisfying and keeps me full for along time. It's pretty sweet. I get it at max muscle. The guy there always let's me try the protein before I buy it because the containers are huge.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating oatmeal and switched to a multi-grain hot cereal. I bought it at my local friendly TJ's :) Red Mill's Right Stuff. If you look at my diary for yesterday, the "Right Stuff" porridge is what I make with it. I put in 1/4 c. of 100% maple syrup and 1 tsp TJ's pumpkin pie spice (Edit: into a four-serving pot of it! haha). I make it once a week and then portion out the pot into tupperwares and eat it most mornings :) It is so delicious and filling and *drools* you don't need fruit with it, it's so good.

Also, when they make instant oatmeal, they crush the oats into tiny pieces and take out most of the nutritious bits. They add sugar to cover the blandness. That is why they are the same calories, I believe.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I eat plain oatmeal but add 1/4 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of brown sugar. As well as a sprinkling of cinnamon. It is sweet enough but it comes out with these numbers:
    162 calories
    29 carbs
    3 grams fat
    5 grams protein
    4 grms fiber
    3 grams sugar

Not too shabby.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Okay so I will be fuller and its better for me. Its really hard not to think about the cals though. Not much into artifical sweetners but I'll try that TJ right stuff. As far as the oatmeal I think the rolled oats are gonna win cause I never could get with the steal cut taste. Maybe I'm not cooking it right.

Oatmeal is more complex than I thought
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I eat "old fashioned" oats everyday. 1/2 cup in a bowl, cover with water until you can see the oats just under the water, microwave it for one minute. Then I add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, stir and add a little more water if it looks too dry. Microwave for another 30 seconds to heat the blueberries. I then add 1 Stevia packet for sweetness. Its a full bowl of filling food for about 200 calories, and its all natural and good for you! Its so YUMMY!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I also eat oatmeal every morning and love it!! :) I eat 1/4cup (1/2cup cooked) Quaker Quick Oats with 1.5tbsp ground flax seed, and change up my other additions every morning. My favorite one so far is adding about a tsp of orange extract, 1/8cup dried cranberries, and 2/3tbsp of orange blossom honey. SOOOOO good!!
    Oh, there was also an Asian inspired one that I saw posted on here that was delicious. It tasted more like fried rice. It had an egg on top with some scallions, mushrooms, sesame oil, soy sauce. Sounds strange, but it was so good.
  • runninginplace
    runninginplace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh, there was also an Asian inspired one that I saw posted on here that was delicious. It tasted more like fried rice. It had an egg on top with some scallions, mushrooms, sesame oil, soy sauce. Sounds strange, but it was so good.

My wife does something like this all the time, and it's terrific!