Question for Ladies who lift

Options
FitChick_40
FitChick_40 Posts: 12 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

I am very new to lifting and am following Jamie Eason's LiveFit program at the moment, but am not super content with it. I have following questions for you guys:

1. Do you use a program?
- if yes, which?
- if no, what exercises to you do?

2. If you are cutting or for newbies just started out losing weight, what are your macros. (please tell me, if the macros ably to you as fit, overweight or obese. I am obese.)

3. What calorie deficit did you use? Again for losing weight/fat. I am eating 1440 kcals right now. Is that too high?

4. How much weight did you lose in your first 3 months? I am 6 weeks in and have only lost 2 kg / 4.4 lbs.

5. Any tips to accelerate my weight loss?

Thank you very much for your help.

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So as a beginner lifter, do continue following a good program. For some of the programs, the makers spend 2 years on it trying to perfect them reaching all the right muscle groups. Some of the best beginner programs are:
    - Stronglifts 5x5
    - Starting strength
    - New rules of lifting women
    - Strong curves
    - ICF 5x5

Personally I'm doing strong curves. I liked the idea of 12 week programs that change every 4 weeks. Furthermore, I was a bit intimidated by the barbell, so loved the option of starting with dumbells and switching to a barbell after a few weeks. It might have a focus on glutes, which is not why I chose it, but also includes upper body work, and will eventually lead to doing pull-ups. (Which I would love to do).

As to macros, can't speak from experience, but the suggestion is to keep your protein high.

As to weightloss, as a newbie lifter you might be able to gain a little muscle mass (just a little) which might reduce your weightloss. Also, while your muscle are repairing from lifting, they store water. You might still have a lot of waterweight, which hides the fat loss.
    How much weight do you still need to lose? You shouldn't be trying to lose a kg a week if you have only a little left to lose.
    Also, are you weighting all your food on a digital foodscale? Maybe your calorie consumption is off.
  • FitChick_40
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I had not heard of strong curves before, but will research it now. It sounds perferct because the barbell is still to heavy for me.

I need to lose another 7.5 kg/16.5 lbs for a healthy BMI and 16 kg/35.2 lbs for my ultimate goal weight. I am only 5'2 so although the figures sound not like much, it's a lot on my frame. I am trying to lose 750 gr. per week and yes, I am using a digital food scale.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Well, for now 750 gram should still be doable. However, if you have lost another couple of kg's that might turn out no longer doable. You might want to switch to a 500 gram loss. The last couple of kg's will be the slowest.
    Anyway, you are still losing weight. Possibly not as fast as you expected, but it is working.

Sometimes the slow route is the better route :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am very new to lifting and am following Jamie Eason's LiveFit program at the moment, but am not super content with it. I have following questions for you guys:

1. Do you use a program?
    - if yes, which?

2. If you are cutting or for newbies just started out losing weight, what are your macros. (please tell me, if the macros ably to you as fit, overweight or obese. I am obese.)

3. What calorie deficit did you use? Again for losing weight/fat. I am eating 1440 kcals right now. Is that too high?

4. How much weight did you lose in your first 3 months? I am 6 weeks in and have only lost 2 kg / 4.4 lbs.

1. I follow Wendler's 5/3/1 program. My plan is loosely based on the simplest strength template but doesn't follow it exactly. I did Strong Curves (great program) earlier this year and like a lot of the glute-specific exercises like barbell hip thrusts and glute bridges so I include them. Right now I'm doing:
    - Squat day: squat, walking lunges, hip thrusts, RDL/leg curl supersets
    - OHP day: overhead press, underhand lat pull downs, close grip bench press, one arm dumbbell rows, end with curl/bench dip/band pull apart supersets
    - Deadlift day: deadlift, front squat/lateral step-up supersets, back raise/glute bridge supersets, seated and lying band abductions
    - Bench day: flat bench press, chest supported rows, incline bench, overhand lat pull downs, end with zercher squat/curl/single leg glute bridge supersets

2. I use the same macros all of the time: .8 gram per pound for protein (rounded to the nearest 10 to make it easy), .4 gram per pound for fat. Those are minimums. Everything else is carbs or more fat or protein.

3. I'm not currently eating in a deficit. When I am, I use a 150-500 calorie deficit. When I was losing most of my weight, I used a 20% deficit, which was about 440 calories at the time. I usually ate between 1750 and 1860 calories total per day.

4. I lost something like 30-35 pounds in the first three months. I wasn't logging calories then so I'm not sure how much I was eating. At that point I ate one dessert per week and one serving of bread or pasta per week. No other grains, just fruit/veggies/meat/dairy. Tons of raw fruit and veggies. My guess is that my calories were somewhere in the 1400-1500 range. Once I started exercising more, I ate more and my weight loss slowed down.

5. My tips would depend on your height/weight/activity level/exercise habits. Overall, I would focus on health and fitness, not just weight loss and speeding up weight loss. Eat your exercise calories. Get a digital kitchen scale and weigh your food whenever possible, use measuring cups/spoons when it's not possible, get good at estimating portion sizes when you're away from the scale and measuring cups/spoons. Log accurately (use USDA entries or entries matching food labels.)
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am doing stronglifts 5x5. I am on week 3 (did it for a few months earlier this year but had to stop due to a work injury). I like the program because it's simple to understand and stick with. My strength has already increased so much. I am in the obese category so I have a 2 lb a week deficit, and I'll probably stick with that until I'm around 200lb, then adjust a bit. I do track my macros and plan my meals around protein. I noticed if I focus on hitting protein I usually hit my other macros no problem. So far I lost 6 lbs. Just keep a tight diary log and pick a lifting program and stick with it. Most importantly be patient when it comes to weight loss.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Okay. These are my answers to the questions. I started lifting almost a year ago and have been on a deficit almost the whole time, with a few small breaks. I started obese at over 200 lbs and am now have a little less than 20, so weight loss is much slower now, which is perfectly fine.

1. Do you use a program? Yes
    I started with stronglifts, followed by new rules of lifting for women and now I'm doing PHUL and plan to keep with that one for at least 6 months, if not longer. I also have done cardio during the time and am at the end of training for a 10k.

2. I try to get roughly .8-1 gram of protein per lean body mass, so around 80-100 grams whenever I can. Some days are better than others. I try to get my fat up closer to 50 grams as I can often be a little low on this one and carbs just end up where they do at this point.

3. I started with around 1.5 lbs a week loss, then 1 as I didn't want to drop to 1200 before exercise. (note: I'm 4'11.5" height wise and have a somewhat active job on my feet, which has helped a little as sedentary would have a slightly different base point) I'm going to be closer to .5 a week now though since I'm closer to goal range.

4. How much weight did you lose in your first 3 months? Around 9 roughly. Had some ups and downs but things are in general going where I want them.

5. Any tips to accelerate my weight loss? Honestly, not focus too much on the scale or try to go too quick. I'd actually recommend some non-scale goals to focus on as well that you can see progress with, whether it's certain lifts or activities you want to do. That has helped me the most so that I'm not constantly obsessing over the scale numbers as they are just a factor among many.
  • FitChick_40
    Options
    thanks everyone for the input! Highly appreciated!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi,

1. Do you use a program?
    - if yes, which?

1. 5x5, New Rules, 5/3/1, 5/3/1 for PL (in that order)
    2. I have my macros at 40p/30f/30c; I often run over on fat/protein under on carbs (but not by a huge amount) during the week (I still have 1 cheat meal/day on the weekend).
    3. I wasn't trying to lose much fat at first. I ran about 100-200 calorie deficit. Now, I'm at maintenance-ish now. You probably need to eat MORE than 1440 calories/day.
    4. 3 months...probably did not lose weight/fat. I've been doing this for 2.5 years, and I'm down from a size 8 to a size 2 (same scale weight).
    5. Keep doing cardio; preferably some kind of interval activity or HIIT.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi,

1. Do you use a program?
    - if yes, which?

I have a trainer who I see weekly so not a programme

But if I didn't I'd choose stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength cos they have videos and apps

When I was cutting my macros were based on hitting enough protein and fat and everything else fell where it was. (Protein at 1g per lb LBM ...but now I'd suggest 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight for simplicity / fat at 0.35g per lb bodyweight..both minimums) ..I think I ended up around 40/30/30 on macro split

I started off with 800 cal defecit but lost most of my weight at 500 then moved to 250 ..your cals are determined by height, weight, activity and exercise so can't answer that ..I tended to eat around 1500-1800 cals

First 3 months I lost around 20lbs I think ...I lost 48lbs in 8 months and am now 54 down in maintenance

Just keep going, tighten up your logging and increase your activity eg just walk more

Lifting is brilliant