What's your favourite soup recipe?

Options
caroline_g
caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
Just wondering what your favourite soup recipes are? Going to start taking it in to work for lunch so think I might start making soups again.

Replies

• beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    chicken and sweetcorn
    pea and leak
    vegetable
    cabbage and bacon

all yummy! :D
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I LOVE soup so I can't wait to see some ideas!
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    red pepper and sweet potato soup with chilli flakes - i find any homemade soup tastes great but i can't resist eating loads of bread with it!!
  • numejak
    numejak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Broth, Beef Bone
    (you can find many recipes on the web)
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    potato soup
  • nanna7400
    nanna7400 Posts: 9
    Options
    weight watchers has a great taco soup low in calories i make this one all the time
  • Crazyjoe11
    Crazyjoe11 Posts: 83
    Options
    If you haven't done so already, you should try courgette soup. Delicious!
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Broccoli! Fry a garlic clove in a tablespoon of oil then put it in a pan with 250ml (ish, you probably need about 400) stock and 200g of broccoli, boil it down and mush it up. Deeelicious. Great after a work out too, I used to get cramp a lot and it's like a potassium fest :)
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    Loaded baked potato soup! Mmmmmmmmmmm!!
  • Gmc2424
    Gmc2424 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've got a great chicken soup recipe that is low cal and low fat but very filling. I make a big pot and usually get two dinners and a lunch out of it.

I sautee diced baby carrots, celery and onion in a pot with a chicken boullion cube, 2 teaspoons of olive oil and parsely. When veggies get tenger, add in large container of College Inn Fat Free Low Sodium chicken broth and simmer until veggies are soft.

I bake or grill two chicken breasts separately and dice the meat and add to the soup when it's done. I also add in a tablespoon of parmesan cheese and 2 cups of diced fresh baby spinach leaves after cooking. (They wilt just enough and don't get too mushy.)

I think a two cup serving is roughly 90-100 calories.

Hope you like it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Simple is always good. I make this just about weekly for my lunches. Brown some sausage of your choice, I like chicken/apple, or just good old smoked sausage. (cut into rounds about 1/4 “ think) take out of pot and set aside, chop up some onion, carrot, celery, and cabbage, throw in pot add salt pepper, bay leave, and red pepper flakes, cook until veggies start to sweat, throw the sausage back in, and cover with chicken broth, cook covered on simmer until carrots are soft.
  • murphysraven
    Options
    Roasted garlic and cauliflour soup. Its so creamy and rich! you don't need very much to be filling. I usually skip the bacon and add a little grilled chicken.

http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2011/02/roasted-garlic-and-cauliflower-soup.html
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Zuppa Toscana, aka Olive Garden

In skillet brown 1 lb Italian sausage, 1chopped onion, and 1tbsp garlic. In stock pot, combine 6 white potatoes sliced with skin left on, add sausage mixture, 1 gallon water, Bacon crumbles, salt and crushed red pepper, simmer until potato soften. Add 1/4 cup heavy cream, and some chopped kale, just before serving.

This does not last long at our house!
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup and Enchilada Soup.........yummmmmm :smile:
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tluttrell
    tluttrell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Zuppa Toscana, aka Olive Garden

In skillet brown 1 lb Italian sausage, 1chopped onion, and 1tbsp garlic. In stock pot, combine 6 white potatoes sliced with skin left on, add sausage mixture, 1 gallon water, Bacon crumbles, salt and crushed red pepper, simmer until potato soften. Add 1/4 cup heavy cream, and some chopped kale, just before serving.

This does not last long at our house!

This is the best soup ever....but I have some easy ways to "lighten" it up. You can find the complete recipe online.
    --Use turkey Italian sausage instead of regular
    --Use reduced sodium chicken broth
    --Use sliced cauliflower instead of potatoes (or half of each) Let it simmer awhile and I promise, you won't miss the potatoes.
    --2% milk instead of heavy cream
    This cuts the calories almost in half and it is sooooo good.
  • lammermoor27
    Options
    My favorite soup is Tomato and Quinoa. Its really easy to make, and the quinoa is a whole protein, so this is an easy, one container lunch and it is so full of flavor! If you want to be bad and add cheese, I use low fat shredded mozzarella

1 can tomato paste expanded with water
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup Quinoa
    2 tablespoons Herbs Provençal. (If you don't have this, it's just thyme, oregano, tarragon, and lavender. Really makes everything taste fanstastic, and you can buy it at the grocery store pre-made.)
    2 oz. Lowfat Mozzarella

1.Wash the quinoa in a strainer.
    2.Boil the quinoa for 15 min, or until the curly tails of this lovely protograin unravel
    3. Heat tomato soup mix with spices until lightly boiling.
    4. Combine tomato soup, olive oil, spices and cooked quinoa.
    5. Let simmer until well mixed.
    6. Serve and top with low fat shredded mozzarella

Then you can store it! It gets better, actually, after having been left to sit for a day in the fridge. It travels really well, and people always ask what smells so good. it's also low fat, relatively low calorie, and full of things that are good for you. And if you leave out the cheese it makes the cut as a Vegan meal, too.

Happy soup!
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    lammermoor - tomato soup or paste?
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was starving and had just bought a billion onions so I chopped up about 250/300g of them, softened them up for about 15 minutes in some Spray Light, made a chicken stock cube up with about a pint of water and then boiled it for about 10 minutes. Really tasty and about 70 calories! It made two fairly well sized bowls :smile: