How long should it take to lose 30 pounds??

Options
Right now I weigh 176-177lbs (my weight for the past two days keeps fluctuating) When I first started my weight loss journey, I weighed 200 lbs (in january) . My goal weight is 140lbs how many months could I expect so see that happen in? lol. I feel l have been trying to be 140 for a million years!! I eat right and I excercise. It's just frustrating when I see my sister whom has just had a baby 5 months ago loose all her fat in 5 months. She even has abs! I know I shouldnt compare myself and I love my sister she is a great motivation to me. I'm just wondering how long it should take.

And how long has it taken you guys to get to your goal weight or close too?

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I see several people reach their goal in just a few months. But me? I've been at this for around 200 days and I'm just now at the 10 lb mark. Ugh!!!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The most you *should* lose is 2lb per week. So 3-4 months.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The last few pounds can be the hardest. It only took me 2 months to lose my FIRST 30 lbs, but from my understanding, those last few pounds take longer. My friends/family said they were losing 5-8 lbs a month for the last lbs.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. I've lost just about 50 and as you can see I've been around since 2009!! That seems like forever. I would say maybe 8 months could be a reasonable goal, because I think 1 lb a week give or take is pretty feasible, and that would take 32 weeks (divided by 4 for a month) or 8 months. I know a lot of ppl have goals of 2lbs a week, but I've never been able to maintain that myself.

HTH.
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    It's taken me 6 months to lose 35lbs :) xxx
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am down about 30 pounds in about 16 weeks
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Make room in the boat for me please.. been trying to loose 30 pounds since Jan. still have about 8 to go then i will think about trying for more. Its been a long struggle, working out and watching what i eat on most days. Sometimes I crack and eat more than i shoudl though. Just keep plugging away!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have lost 43 lbs so far, and still have about 10-15 lbs to go before my goal weight. I started my journey in Sept 2010, so it has been 8 months now. Now, I can tell you that in the beginning I didn't exercise at all; I just focused on my eating habits (for about 4 or 5 months) then I incorporated exercising. I don't have a gym membership - I do workout dvds at home, and I am currently doing the C25K program. This is a slow process, so don't get discouraged. My favorite saying, slow and steady wins the race.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It took me 4 months and 3 weeks to reach a loss of 25 pounds. I had a couple weeks in the beginning when I stayed at the same weight for two or three weeks. But since then I have been losing 1 pound per week. So I am estimating that I will take 15 weeks to lose the last 15 pounds that I want to. If it happens sooner that would be great but hopefully not any longer.

Each person is different and food is important. Make sure that you eat healthy choices that are filling not junk that takes all your calories. If you can up your exercise either amount of time spent or number of days. That is what really helped me... also I started tracking my measurements to see a difference there when the scale is not moving at the speed I like.
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Options
    I started in Jan 26 I reached 29lbs lost May 30 4 months but I'm sure everyone is different...dont give up hang in there!
  • twowagners
    Options
    Keep up your awesome work! Just remember that everyone's body is different, and reacts differently. Also, people lose weight differently. I am in about the same exact boat you are in, weight-wise (starting, current, and ending goal! LOL!). I began on 2/7/11. I hit the 30 pd mark last week (so, beginning of June). However, as time passes, my weight loss isn't as quick as in the beginning. I think if you aim for 1-2 pds per week, you'll do well b/c that is manageable, and you won't feel like you are "depriving" yourself. So, 30 more pounds, at 1-2 pds per week would take approximately 15-30 more weeks. I am not sure if this is accurate, but I heard someone say that weight loss is 10% exercise and 90% what you eat. So, great that you are utilizing myfitnesspal! :wink:
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's taken me about a year to lose 65 pounds. That's figuring 1-2lbs a week. It should take around 15 weeks to lose 30 pounds the healthy way. Slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I was 200lbs in January and am at 167 right now. My goal is 160. It seems to be that I've been losing about 5lbs a month on average. It does seem like it takes forever! But when you think about it, we are in this forever. It's a live time commitment. I had to lose this weight 2 times before and each time it takes longer. I don't want to do this ever again!!!
  • murfto
    murfto Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    One thing that I keep hearing (and I am trying to practice) is to stay away from the scale as your total success measurement.

I was told to meaure yourself once a month, measure your BMI and see how your clothes fit. Avoidng the scale can be tough. I still weigh myself once a week but try not to only focus on that.

I found a good artilce about that on a web site:

www.clintnolan.com

He is a trainer. His article on the use scale is very good. He also posted one today about burning fat that was also very good.

Hope that helps.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    OK, I will just eep doing what I'm doing. Just sooo impatient thats all. It is tru3e that this is a life journey and I too never want to go through this again. I have my pregnancy to thank for it though lol
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people on here have lost 30 lbs in 3 months (or 12 weeks), which is generally 10 lbs per month. I have lost about 25 in 3 months. I think it just depends on your body.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Set yourself up for success, not failure

Meaning YES it is technically possible recommendation wise to lose 2 pounds per week so TECHNICALLY you could lose that weight in 15 weeks or about three months, But hardly anyone EVER loses that weight that fast. And when you get down to your vanity pounds; I am here to tell you that it takes a seriously long time to get your vanity pounds off.. I have been at my vanity pounds since january and I have only lost 5 of my ten vanity pounds.

So try to be realistic about your goals, set it for about 1 pound a week, or maybe a little less, shoot for about 30-35 weeks and make that your goal. It will still be a challenge, it will still be hard. If you conquer your goal before then, the good for you, But definately don't set your self up for failure by setting your goal at something crazy like 3 months. ESPECIALLY when you are that close to your goal.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    To lose 30lbs from where you are now, plan on it taking 6-7 months. But look at it this way, if you work hard consistently with your diet and exercise, you can start the new year at your goal weight! If you try to overdo it and lose to much in a short period of time, you may end up sabotaging yourself and your body so that come 2012, it is possible to be right back where you started. I agree with a previous poster that you should set yourself up for success and not failure.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You guys all have amazing advice thank you so much!
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well Im down 24lbs and ive doing this 8 weeks im kinda at a slow down tho even tho im working harder than ever. seems the more weight you loose the harder it is to loose all of it :(