1200 calories struggle!!

Options
So for the past fortnight after my last major panic attack I've basically had little appetite.. I've been logging in my food and struggling to reach even 900 calories most days. Is it better to just leave it as is or should I try and force myself to snack on something?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Panic attacks and anxiety can play a major role in appetite and physical health - are you addressing that issue as well?

If your problem is appetite, try calorie dense foods. A couple tablespoons of peanut butter, for example, is close to 200 extra calories and some good fats and oils. Nuts, trail mix, cheese, etc are also great options. Google "calorie dense foods" for more options.

ETA: It's important to hit a 1200 calorie minimum because it's hard to meet your body's nutritional needs below that. Besides low energy, you can end up doing damage if you're under eating for a long period of time.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    There are a few options for adding more calories without forcing yourself to eat more than you want:

1. You could try adding more condiments if you don't have them already - sauces, salt & pepper, salad dressing, etc. all add calories for not really any more food.
    2. Change what you eat to more calorie-dense food, so you don't need to eat more volume, but you can get more calories. Especially easy to do if you're using any low calorie or low fat versions of anything. Also consider things like oil used to fry food, for example if you're using spray oil, using non-spray oil could add a few more calories.
    3. At 900 calories, just an extra chocolate bar a day would bring you pretty close to 1200. It's not much more food, but gives a lot of calories.

It's also worth asking, how accurate is your logging? Are you sure you're eating 900 calories? Do you weigh everything? If you don't, if you're estimating or using cups, you could well be eating more than that anyway and not realising.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you are addressing the panic.

Here are some yummy ways to get calories up quickly: http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Panic attacks and anxiety can play a major role in appetite and physical health - are you addressing that issue as well?

If your problem is appetite, try calorie dense foods. A couple tablespoons of peanut butter, for example, is close to 200 extra calories and some good fats and oils. Nuts, trail mix, cheese, etc are also great options. Google "calorie dense foods" for more options.

ETA: It's important to hit a 1200 calorie minimum because it's hard to meet your body's nutritional needs below that. Besides low energy, you can end up doing damage if you're under eating for a long period of time.

I've just been given medication for my anxiety and it's helped with relieving the stress and panic attacks.. I will try and incorporate some of those snacks tomorrow and see if that helps :) I know 1200 is the minimum calories so that's why I was a bit worried on what I should do!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Eat some healthy fats, and take fish oil and B vitamins.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    There are a few options for adding more calories without forcing yourself to eat more than you want:

1. You could try adding more condiments if you don't have them already - sauces, salt & pepper, salad dressing, etc. all add calories for not really any more food.
    2. Change what you eat to more calorie-dense food, so you don't need to eat more volume, but you can get more calories. Especially easy to do if you're using any low calorie or low fat versions of anything. Also consider things like oil used to fry food, for example if you're using spray oil, using non-spray oil could add a few more calories.
    3. At 900 calories, just an extra chocolate bar a day would bring you pretty close to 1200. It's not much more food, but gives a lot of calories.

It's also worth asking, how accurate is your logging? Are you sure you're eating 900 calories? Do you weigh everything? If you don't, if you're estimating or using cups, you could well be eating more than that anyway and not realising.

I tend to weigh everything apart from sauces and condiments because I normally don't have sauce with my foods.. Tomorrow I will try and eat a more calorie filled breakfast because I tend to either miss breakfast or eat low calorie foods in the morning.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »

I've just been given medication for my anxiety and it's helped with relieving the stress and panic attacks.. I will try and incorporate some of those snacks tomorrow and see if that helps :) I know 1200 is the minimum calories so that's why I was a bit worried on what I should do!

I'm glad you're addressing the anxiety -it's no fun. Keep in mind that anxiety medications can take some time to adjust and don't be afraid to go back to the doctor for adjustments as needed until you're feeling better!

If eating more calories is going to be a force feeding session that makes you physically sick, then I don't recommend it. If you're just lacking appetite, add those snacks in and see if it helps. Google "No Bake Protein Bites" and try those if the ingredients are something you like - they're a great energy boost and not overly filling. I also love yogurt with granola. Granola is pretty calorie dense at 1/4 to 1/2 a cup which is minimal!
  • KT_3009
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hopefully you are addressing the panic.

Here are some yummy ways to get calories up quickly: http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/

Some of those look so yummy!! Will give some of those recipes a go.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butter's, avocados etc.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »

I'm glad you're addressing the anxiety -it's no fun. Keep in mind that anxiety medications can take some time to adjust and don't be afraid to go back to the doctor for adjustments as needed until you're feeling better!

If eating more calories is going to be a force feeding session that makes you physically sick, then I don't recommend it. If you're just lacking appetite, add those snacks in and see if it helps. Google "No Bake Protein Bites" and try those if the ingredients are something you like - they're a great energy boost and not overly filling. I also love yogurt with granola. Granola is pretty calorie dense at 1/4 to 1/2 a cup which is minimal!

Good idea! Thanks for the tips :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If this is you in your profile, I would suggest you discuss with your therapist your desire to lose weight. Your goals might not be realistic, or healthy, and might be related to your anxiety issues.
  • kk_inprogress
    edited October 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If this is you in your profile, I would suggest you discuss with your therapist your desire to lose weight. Your goals might not be realistic, or healthy, and might be related to your anxiety issues.

That's a big leap to take from a headshot, isn't it?

ETA: or at least without stats.
  • KT_3009
    Options

that is a big leap to assume that I am being unrealistic about my weightloss.. I am 5'4 150pounds so i have weight to lose and plan to do so healthily. My appetite has more to do with my anxiety and panic attacks but thanks for the concern.
  • KT_3009
    Options

Thankyou for that :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Her profile does have two other photos beyond the head shot showing next to her posts.

OP ...
    How tall are you?
    What do you currently weigh?
    What is your goal weight?
  • junkfood_junkie89
    junkfood_junkie89 Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I suffer from panic attacks to and on medication for it too, due i use to have an eating disorder... when i panic and stress i attend to eat more.

I add like my drinks i drink or chocolate to make etc to make up the rest of the calories i dont eat.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Her profile does have two other photos beyond the head shot showing next to her posts.

OP ...
    How tall are you?

I'm mobile, so can't view those- my bad. She provided her stats above.
  • KT_3009
    Options

OP ...
    How tall are you?

The two other pictures is my goal weight which I was two-three years ago which was 5'4 and 118lbs I'm now 150 pounds so my goal weight would be to get back to 118-125lbs
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I suffer from panic attacks to and on medication for it too, due i use to have an eating disorder... when i panic and stress i attend to eat more.

I add like my drinks i drink or chocolate to make etc to make up the rest of the calories i dont eat.

That's a good idea. I normally try and have snacks through the day or a smoothie but I physically feel like I'm full all day :/