barefoot work outs?

Options
If u do zumba/cize videos in my living room-is it OK to be barefoot? Reasons why and why not would be appreciated

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Zumba barefoot is not a good idea in general. Because you might slip and you also will hurt your joints.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Anything high impact and you may hurt your feet, I know of some who had heel and foot problems because of that. I am however a fan of working out barefoot, but only for low impact stuff. I did the 30 day shred one time bare foot, that was NOT a good idea!! I had terrible heel pain, all my own doing too!!

Just take care and listen to your body, if you feel pain/aches, stop.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Isn't Zumba just dancing? I can't imagine how that would be bad barefoot.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    After reading Born to Run, I'd say going barefoot as often as possible is the way to go.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love being barefoot and I started off doing Zumba barefoot. I gave myself a lovely case of plantar fasciitis doing that. It was extremely painful and I couldn't do Zumba while it healed. Obviously we're not the same person so you might be able to get away with it, but from this side of that particular injury I don't recommend trying.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Isn't Zumba just dancing? I can't imagine how that would be bad barefoot.

It is supposed to be high impact exercise, if done properly. Depending on the floor, it might be a very bad idea to try it barefoot.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/plantar-fasciitis/basics/definition/con-20025664

Read up. My husband has this and it sucks.

Factors that may increase your risk of developing plantar fasciitis include:

Age. Plantar fasciitis is most common between the ages of 40 and 60.

Certain types of exercise. Activities that place a lot of stress on your heel and attached tissue — such as long-distance running, ballet dancing and dance aerobics — can contribute to an earlier onset of plantar fasciitis.

Faulty foot mechanics. Being flat-footed, having a high arch or even having an abnormal pattern of walking can adversely affect the way weight is distributed when you're standing and put added stress on the plantar fascia.

Obesity. Excess pounds put extra stress on your plantar fascia.

Occupations that keep you on your feet. Factory workers, teachers and others who spend most of their work hours walking or standing on hard surfaces can damage their plantar fascia.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I do some zumba (xbox) barefoot on the carpet. but that's partly because any of the shoes I would wear normally had too much grip, leading to less ability to turn/pivot/slide and feeling like my foot is "stuck". From previous experience this tends to lead to me rolling my ankle or twisting my knee. When I was belly dancing I would practice barefoot, because it seemed to help strengthen my lower joints more leading to less problems. My guess is will depend on a variety of things - your flooring surface, compatible shoes in regards to the amount of friction, pre-existing lower joint issues, how much extra weight you are carrying. if you do zumba barefoot, I would recommend giving your feet/ankles a little bit extra warm-up, like foot circles both directions, calf raises,that sort of thing.