Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need advice and guidance

I'm a 27 year old male. I've been a big guy my whole life. On June 4th 2015 I decided it's time to change that for my families sake. I weighed 418 lbs. I'm down to 325 but for the past month I've not lost a single pound. To say I'm disgusted is an understatement. I run two miles a day 5 days a week. I consume between 1600-1800 calories s day. I'm just wondering if someone knows what I'm doing wrong. It's the worst feeling every week seeing that scale not move. Anyone with any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    I am an expert by no means...but maybe try a different cardio or add some weight training. Or even keep running but maybe make it 2.5 miles instead. I know changing things or pushing a little harder really works wonders for me. Good luck!! and way to go on your weight loss so far!
  • amb630
    amb630 Posts: 6 Member
    I've considered that. The thing w weight training is in high school playing ball I did that and I don't really care about being muscular. Been there done that. But I've considered light weight w multiple reps. I think I will try that and I love pushing my body anyway. Thank you very much for your advice and encouragement.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Congratulations on your success so far! You have done amazing! I would take a good look at what you are consuming for food. Are you weighing your food and being super accurate? I go back to what we read on these boards all the time that we typically underestimate how much we eat and over estimate how many calories we burn...which does not make for successful weight loss.

I've been at this since January of this year and every time I stall out, I go back to eating as clean and simple as possible...weighing all of my food an sticking with lean proteins, fruits veggies, and light dairy and some complex grains. That always brings me back on track.

Stick with it, I'm sure you feel amazing having lost almost 100 lbs, you will hit that milestone soon!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Awesome job losing! Are you using a food scale and can you open your diary?
  • amb630
    No I'm not using food scale just counting calories. I eat basically the same thing day in day out. Could that affect it? Thank you all for the encouragement. I do appreciate it.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    amb630 wrote: »
    No I'm not using food scale just counting calories. I eat basically the same thing day in day out. Could that affect it? Thank you all for the encouragement. I do appreciate it.

Amazing progress so far - seriously well done! :)
    I'd DEFINITELY suggest a food scale.

Before I bought a food scale, I was under-estimating my portion sizes by about 300 calories worth a day. My weight loss stalled because I was no longer in a deficit! Once I started weighing accurately and ensuring my calorie allowance was being met correctly, I started losing again! Good luck
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    You have done very well. Remind your self of what you have achieved. <3
    You need to eat a little less per day than you are eating now. A food scale that measures in grams is a great tool to help you do that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

You've done brilliantly but use a food scale

Also expand your diet to get a wide range of nutrients and enjoy your food

Lifting is good advice, you need to preserve your LBM as you drop weight
  • mayadaelsabah834
    mayadaelsabah834 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm a 27 year old male. I've been a big guy my whole life. On June 4th 2015 I decided it's time to change that for my families sake. I weighed 418 lbs. I'm down to 325 but for the past month I've not lost a single pound. To say I'm disgusted is an understatement. I run two miles a day 5 days a week. I consume between 1600-1800 calories s day. I'm just wondering if someone knows what I'm doing wrong. It's the worst feeling every week seeing that scale not move. Anyone with any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

• mayadaelsabah834

• mayadaelsabah834
    I have the same problem by the way , I can't lose more weight my weight is the same for 5 weeks ago and I don't know what to do I need to lose more 8 kilos
    Yeah I'm so happy with what I achieved yeah my body shape is different but u don't know why I can't lose more I work out 5 days a week for 2 hours and I take only 1200 calories
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Congratulations on how well you are doing so far and on your decision to make a change. I agree with others, I think not weighing your food is the issue. You might be incorrectly recording your food and eating more calories than you think. I think before making any other changes first try a food scale. Good luck :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    To be honest he should still be losing a couple pounds a week at 2000 calories

Is your exercise new? It's possibly water weight masking loss...just keep going but start to weigh and log your food

And lifting
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Too much exercise of wrong type. Cut down running, start pumping iron. Keep carbs under 100/day. Whala - you be good!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

You cannot count calories without a food scale. You are most probably eating a lot more than you estimate. Try a food scale for a few days, it might be enough to give you an idea of what is wrong.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    You've lost almost 100 pounds in less than five months. That's amazing. Really. If you'd asked if it was possible, I'd have doubted it.

Plateaus happen. It's part of the process for many people. Some people wait and eventually begin losing again. Some take breaks. Different strokes. You have to figure out what you're going to do, how you want to deal with it, but don't quit!!
  • amb630
    Thanks for all the advice and support. I'm not using a scale. Just a personal preference. I work full time, having a mowing business after my full time job and I'm a League president in my children's youth leagues. Honestly, I push to get my run in. I have added lifting light weight with multiple reps. Since I posted I've lost 3 lbs. knocking on the 100 lb door. I've went from a 54 waist to a 42 so I'm just going to keep on keeping on. I wish you all the best with your weight goals and pray you all achieve them. God bless you all
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Please don't be disgusted - you are doing amazingly well and these temporary stalls sometimes happen :]

Congratulations on losing the extra 3lbs! Sometimes you just have to have a little patience and keep at it.