How To Find the Time to lose weight for a busy person! Please Help me!

Options
Hello everyone,
I am having so much trouble finding the time to workout, I work full time and go to school but I get discouraged and give up. I always end up eating fast food since I am always driving from place to place. Please can anyone give me tips on how to lose weight even being a super busy person??

Replies

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    A lot of places have their calories listed online. Look them up and buy whatever fits your goal. Or instead of fast food try to find places that sell salads and dont forget to add protein to them to keep you full.
    You can also try preparing your meals and snacks in advance for the week. You can take the meal with you if your work has a fridge where you can store it until lunch time.
    It also helps me to prep my dinners in advance that way when I am tired and come home, I dont just grab anything but I have something healthy and within my goal ready to eat.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Another thing that I do sometimes if I know I wont be near a fridge, is heat up my lunch in the morning and put it in a small thermos. Those keep food warm for 4-5 hours.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on your calorie intake. Exercise is good for health but it's not required for weight loss. You need to eat fewer calories than your body uses in order to lose weight.

Make small changes that you can handle. If you eat out, choose lower calorie options that you like and/or eat smaller portions of what you normally eat.

Don't get discouraged! You can do this!
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on your mind, it's all a mind game. You chose to eat out, nothing but you made that conscious decision to swing my the fast food place. You need to slowly rebuild your mind and eliminate the negative thoughts and doubts you have about yourself. Believe in what you want do instead of the what you've done before. Once, you get started, you'l fail. Trust me, I can almost guarantee you that you'll fail but failure is the point where you have 2 options: 1. Don't give up; 2. Give up. It's your journey from there. Good luck dude.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can totally lose weight on fast food as long as you research the low calorie best options ( pay attention to getting enough protein). Some days buy some precut veggies or fresh fruits at the grocery store. The amount of food you eat matters much less than exercise although exercise is good for your health.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    what does super busy really mean. i used to think i was super busy and i worked from home. look at your daily schedule and i am sure you will find a 30 min gap somewhere to fit in your exercise. good luck
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Make small changes that you can handle. If you eat out, choose lower calorie options you like and/or eat smaller portions of what you normally eat.

Don't get discouraged! You can do this!

This!

Don't buy into the myth that you HAVE to eat super healthy and slog it out in the gym every day to lose weight.

I've lost 22lbs since June by making small changes to my lifestyle that I know I can keep up. I still eat out a lot, but I look up the calories of where I'm eating and choose the best option available. I've just had lunch with my kids at McDonald's and had a chicken nugget happy meal (around 400 cals here in the UK). I generally use the rule of having a kids meal when out and then I'm instantly cutting the portion size (and often the price too). For exercise I simply walk every day. I'd rather spend my time having fun with my family than being in the gym, so I make sure we get out every day to the park, zoo or just for a walk. And when my eldest is in play group I go for a long walk with baby napping in the pram. I'm averaging around 10-15k steps a day on my fitbit.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Can you pick up an insulated lunch bag? Then you can pack sandwiches, leftovers, etc., and eat them on the go.

As far as exercise goes, I've found it is far easier for me to get moving and exercise at home. Everyone is different, but I can always find a 1/2 hr at home for a bodyweight circuit...it's better than nothing when I can't get out and run!
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I work full-time, have a 1 hr commute each way, and taking 3 classes right now, on top of having a hubby, 2 kids who have lots of activities (soccer, tennis, boy scouts), and a household to keep up. I'm gone from 7am-11pm on Wednesdays, so yea, I can relate. I try to get up at least 30 min early to get in a workout. But on weeks where it feels impossible (like this week), I try to just move when I can. I'll squeeze in a few push-ups and sit-ups after I wake up, I walk around during breaks at work, I'll do some squats in the bathroom when nobody is in there (haha). I find myself doing fast food more than I'd like to these days. But there are options. I just try not to get anything breaded and I try to pay attention to how much protein I'm getting in during the day. It's doable....so don't beat yourself up for not being able to work out and having to resort to fast food.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I'm in school full time and work also....and have four kids. Like others said it's all about calories but if I can find the time to work out, you can. Start planning and prepping your meals sounds like that's your big hurdle. Once you take the time and initiative to make better options readily available, you won't be hitting the drive thru. I make everything from scratch and freeze stuff, prepare lunches and snacks. it takes me one solid afternoon but then all six of us are eating good for two weeks and there's no "whats for dinner" question.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    [quote="noclady1995;34305637" I'll do some squats in the bathroom when nobody is in there (haha). [/quote]

Lol a friend of mine split her pants doing this one day!

Now as for the predicament at hand I find bulk meal prep very important, and I try to make an extra portion or two and freeze them so that over the weeks I can have some variety :) If you have a slow cooker this is a great way to have dinner ready for when you get home but also some lunches or future dinners. I also like doing a bunch or roast veggies as a salad base and then adding a different protein. I would usually have a couple of chicken breasts cooked and frozen with different marinades so in the morning just chuck some veg in a container, add a handful of spinach or a leafy green, grab a bag of chicken from the freezer - then by lunch it's defrosted and ta-dah!
    If you like or can at least stomach cans of tuna or salmon, these are so handy. Keep a few cans in car with a bag of plastic forks (and some mints hahaha) and it's a low-ish calorie, high protein snack. Just make sure you put your cans in the bin as soon as possible :wink:
    Good quality protein bars are also very convenient.

As said a few times above; small changes you can handle and healthier options/smaller portions will all help

Good luck, you can do this!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I recommend this author for finding time when you think you have none.

Find More Time: How to Get Things Done at Home, Organize Your Life, and Feel Great About It (Random House, 2006) by Laura Stack - See more at: [url="Find More Time: How to Get Things Done at Home, Organize Your Life, and Feel Great About It (Random House, 2006) - See more at: http://theproductivitypro.com/books/#sthash.qJqsgUpZ.dpuf"]http://theproductivitypro.com/books/#sthash.qJqsgUpZ.dpuf[/url]

The book itself is designed for busy people. Simply read the chapters that will help you most.

For exercise, walk more often. No need for a scheduled workout routine. You will save gas, too.

For food choices on the go, carry a stash of portable snacks with you.

You might benefit from an evening or afternoon of food prep, where for instance, you can prepare a bundle of chicken breasts for the week and then modify the sides throughout the week. The same might be done with a beef roast or a pork loin roast.

As for fast food choices, there are ways to eat lean by reviewing the menus ahead of time and deciding what fits for your calories that day. You may simply switch out the fries for a salad for instance.
  • josh_malan_41
    josh_malan_41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself: "What do I want more?" Do I want a few french fries more than I want to have a fit body? Do I want that extra hour of sleep more than I want to look great at the beach? Do I want to be average or do I want to be great?

Do what others are too weak to do! Be strong! Find strength in every little victory every single day.

Know that when you feel like crap because you're in a calorie deficit, you're not alone, only the strong push through and change their lives.

I know you can do it. Find a way to succeed!