Anyone have hypothyrodism?

Options
Just found out I have this. Any help with diet and exercise would be so helpful. Thank you so much and God bless :)

Replies

• Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do. Mine is well-controlled through daily thyroid medication. If you can get it under control with medicine, I wouldn't think you need any special diet or exercise other than what mfp recommends. :) I have lost over 30 pounds in the last few years, btw. I don't find my thyroid to be a disadvantage.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    WingardiumLeviosa91 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do. Mine is well-controlled through daily thyroid medication. If you can get it under control with medicine, I wouldn't think you need any special diet or exercise other than what mfp recommends. :) I have lost over 30 pounds in the last few years, btw. I don't find my thyroid to be a disadvantage.

I am not using my pills anymore. But I am not at discomfort about it neither. I think pills never really helped me. And maybe my thyroid problem was a side affect on my other medication, but now I got rid of it all. Is it possible I don't have a thyroid problem anymore?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

I am not using my pills anymore. But I am not at discomfort about it neither. I think pills never really helped me. And maybe my thyroid problem was a side affect on my other medication, but now I got rid of it all. Is it possible I don't have a thyroid problem anymore?

So let me get this straight, you refuse to take ACTUAL MEDICATION that is to treat an ACTUAL MEDICAL CONDITION that can be very serious, but you'll continue taking those scam rubbish GNC "fat burner" crap?!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    momwest4 wrote: »
    Just found out I have this. Any help with diet and exercise would be so helpful.

There is no special diet or exercise regimen for those with hypothyroidism. To lose weight, you still need to maintain a slight calorie deficit :+1:
    I think pills never really helped me. And maybe my thyroid problem was a side affect on my other medication, but now I got rid of it all. Is it possible I don't have a thyroid problem anymore?

It's possible. Only your doctor can tell you for sure.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Fellow hypo here, as long as its under control with the right medication you shouldn't find you need a special diet.

I've lost 25kg so far (thats about 53lbs) of which I've lost 9kg since June, just following mfp.

There is a thyroid group on here if you like to join with lost of info and knowledgeable people if you have any questions about hypothyroidism.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There is no special exercise or diet and if you read somewhere that is something that can be fixed by lifestyle changes, you run away :) Get on meds, keep up with your appointments, adjust as needed and you will lose weight like everyone else.
  • LKArgh
    Options

Pills are not supposed to really help you, at a young age, when for most people hypothyroidism is still not really affecting your life. They are supposed to minimise the risk for a future operation.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Pills are not supposed to really help you, at a young age, when for most people hypothyroidism is still not really affecting your life. They are supposed to minimise the risk for a future operation.

Reducing risk of future operation sounds like something they help with to me! I wouldn't want to risk any future operation by not taking the pills! :#
  • LKArgh
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Reducing risk of future operation sounds like something they help with to me! I wouldn't want to risk any future operation by not taking the pills! :#

They are not supposed to noticeably help you in everyday life, this was not phrased correctly, sorry :)
    Meaning, you are supposed to keep taking them, even if you feel zero difference.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had the operation. As surgeries go, it's a pretty easy one as far as recovering goes. I hope nobody who has to have it gets too worried.

Everyone has different issues with their thyroid, so everyone has to find the right approach for them. I take 200 of the Synthroid a day.

I have way more energy than I did before. I was never able to lose weight before and am down 96 pounds so far. No more constipation issues!! (The pooping might be the best part, lol.) my hair hasn't grown back, but it stopped falling out and is healthier. All the problems I had have halted or improved!

I know that everyone doesn't get as lucky as I've been and am not suggesting that people who have bigger problems are somehow not as good as I am. I offer it up as hope. Maybe knowing that for some people, it's possible to lose, even with hypothyroid issues...maybe that will make someone worry less or whatever. You don't get more hypo than none and I am closing in on 100 pounds lost. But I do understand that I've been lucky and many people struggle more, with bigger troubles. I am not trying to belittle anyone or their problems.

If they hadn't removed my thyroid and started me on the pills, I'd be over 250 pounds and gaining. Aside from my son, the Synthroid is best thing that ever happened to me.
  • momwest4
    momwest4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been so helpful. Thank you very much:) I just started taking the
    medication and my doctor said it will take awhile to find the right dose for my body. Again thank you so much. Hope everyone has a wonderful day :) Oh and may I ask what your tsh levels were when you started treatment?
  • LKArgh
    Options
    medication and my doctor said it will take awhile to find the right dose for my body. Again thank you so much. Hope everyone has a wonderful day :) Oh and may I ask what your tsh levels were when you started treatment?

When I first started, it was marginally high, so something like 4-5? But it was an early diagnosis.
    The goal since then has been to keep it around 2.
  • momwest4
    momwest4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mine is 7.68 so I guess not that bad. Did you have swelling in your hands and feet with it?
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh and may I ask what your tsh levels were when you started treatment?

At their highest, I think mine was around 14 or 15. Took about 18 months, but it seems my endo and I have settled on 162.5mcg of levothyroxine daily. Weird dosage, so I have to alternate between 150 and 175.
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    BeccaColliesBurton Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi yes I do. I am on regular medication. It is not something you can play with. I take a high dose of D3 and of Sublingual B12. I also find magnesium crucial.

Diet wise I find the most successful approach is a low carb high fat diet. It is most filling and provides more energy for me. Feel free to friend me.
  • Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did not experience any symptoms with mine. I had blood work done around age 20 or 21 just to check overall health before I got married. It was discovered that my levels were slightly off then. My sister has Graves' disease, which is much harder to control than mine (Hashimoto's) from what I understand. I have really not been able to tell when my levels were off, except maybe some racing heart beats when I was taking too much thyroid medication (after pregnancies when I needed my dosage lowered). I couldn't tell when my levels were low, but I think that's because it was caught so early. My sister says she can tell when her levels are off, and she definitely had some issues/symptoms right before the doctor figured out she had Graves. My mom also has the same thing I have. I seem to remember being told back then that if I had daughters (which I did not), they would have a 50% chance of having a thyroid problem. If I had sons (which I have), they would have a 25% chance of having a thyroid problem.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

you're welcome! I can't say for sure what my tsh levels were, my gp never told me, but they must have been above 10 as that is the cut off for 'normal' in the UK. Oedema (swelling in hands, legs, feet) is definitely common and I definitely suffered from it at the time, not anymore though.