Sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread in regards to binge eating. I'd like to share.

This is my story. I'm not trying to tell you to do anything other than to consider my path. Maybe some of this will speak to you.

I lack even a modicum of self control. I love(d) all things I could smoke, snort, pop, or rub on your belly.

I quit drugs and smokes a long time ago. I learned I can't control myself when did drugs. I can't do moderation. I'm so jealous of those who can.

So onto binge eating:

Because I lack self control I cannot eat one potato chip. I'm unable to have only one slice of pizza. I don't even understand the idea of just one doughnut. I want to be Supersized.

Hmm. Look at the foods I just listed. What do all of these foods have in common? What does a pizza and a glazed doughnut have in common? Pepperoni? Nope. Simple carbs. Refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, refined bleach wheat flour, etc.

Funny, I never crave foods that lack simple carbs. I never crave an entire roast turkey. I never have a hankering' for thirds of grilled Brussels sprouts. I want my simple carbs! AND I WANT THEM NOW!

Wait a minute. This doesn't make sense. This may FEEL like hunger but it isn't. I remember this feeling. It's addiction! To me it sounded like the same addictions I beat decades ago. For me, an "Eating Binge" is just another word for a drug binge. Like a drinking binge, a smoking binge, a cocaine binge, whatever.

So what do (did) I do when I feel a food binge coming on?

1) If I feel a binge coming on I immediately drink one quart of water. I hate plain water so I add some flavor enhancer. Flavor enhancer is always in my house - in large quantities.

2) I vilify the binge. I ask myself: "How about a big pork chop instead of (a dozen doughnuts, large pizza, whatever)?" I lovelovelove grilled pork chops! So if my body says "NO! I want PIZZA!" then I realize this is my carb addiction talking, not real hunger.

3) So I Get Moving. If I can sit around and wait for a pizza, if I can walk to the fridge to eat, then I can go outside and take a damn walk. I get off my butt and MOVE. I do not have the right to binge if I can't walk for thirty minutes first.

4) If the binge is still there I eat. I eat a lot. I stuff myself silly. But I eat protein - steak, pork chops, whatever. And when I say a lot I mean A LOT. Like 16oz of steak. It's a lot of calories but nothing compared to the binge of an entire large pizza, wings and huge cookie I used to do.

It took a while - over a year of effort - to get unhooked. I failed about 100 times. I can't tell you the number of times I shoveled pizza in my mouth, crying like a baby, filled with shame, realizing I had no control.

But over time time my binges began to space out. Instead of one a day it was one every three days. Then once a week, then once a month. I haven't binged in two months.

Thanks for reading.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    desweds wrote: »

This is my story. I'm not trying to tell you to do anything other than to consider my path. Maybe some of this will speak to you.

I lack even a modicum of self control. I love(d) all things I could smoke, snort, pop, or rub on your belly.

I quit drugs and smokes a long time ago. I learned I can't control myself when did drugs. I can't do moderation. I'm so jealous of those who can.

So onto binge eating:

Because I lack self control I cannot eat one potato chip. I'm unable to have only one slice of pizza. I don't even understand the idea of just one doughnut. I want to be Supersized.

Hmm. Look at the foods I just listed. What do all of these foods have in common? What does a pizza and a glazed doughnut have in common? Pepperoni? Nope. Simple carbs. Refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, refined bleach wheat flour, etc.

Funny, I never crave foods that lack simple carbs. I never crave an entire roast turkey. I never have a hankering' for thirds of grilled Brussels sprouts. I want my simple carbs! AND I WANT THEM NOW!

Wait a minute. This doesn't make sense. This may FEEL like hunger but it isn't. I remember this feeling. It's addiction! To me it sounded like the same addictions I beat decades ago. For me, an "Eating Binge" is just another word for a drug binge. Like a drinking binge, a smoking binge, a cocaine binge, whatever.

1) If I feel a binge coming on I immediately drink one quart of water. I hate plain water so I add some flavor enhancer. Flavor enhancer is always in my house - in large quantities.

2) I vilify the binge. I ask myself: "How about a big pork chop instead of (a dozen doughnuts, large pizza, whatever)?" I lovelovelove grilled pork chops! So if my body says "NO! I want PIZZA!" then I realize this is my carb addiction talking, not real hunger.

3) So I Get Moving. If I can sit around and wait for a pizza, if I can walk to the fridge to eat, then I can go outside and take a damn walk. I get off my butt and MOVE. I do not have the right to binge if I can't walk for thirty minutes first.

4) If the binge is still there I eat. I eat a lot. I stuff myself silly. But I eat protein - steak, pork chops, whatever. And when I say a lot I mean A LOT. Like 16oz of steak. It's a lot of calories but nothing compared to the binge of an entire large pizza, wings and huge cookie I used to do.

It took a while - over a year of effort - to get unhooked. I failed about 100 times. I can't tell you the number of times I shoveled pizza in my mouth, crying like a baby, filled with shame, realizing I had no control.

But over time time my binges began to space out. Instead of one a day it was one every three days. Then once a week, then once a month. I haven't binged in two months.

Thanks for reading.

Amen!!!!! Lol
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

So onto binge eating:

Thanks for reading.

Those foods also all contain fats. Why are the carbs unique? Does something pure sugar like a pixie stick have the same effect for you? I don't think normal pizza, potato chips, or all donuts have much, if any, high fructose corn syrup.

Interestingly, all of those could be linked by saying they're social foods - most of those are commonly eaten around other people at social events.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to sugar all my life. It cost me my marriage, my house and my job. I feel you.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

So onto binge eating:

Thanks for reading.

Those foods also all contain fats. Why are the carbs unique? Does something pure sugar like a pixie stick have the same effect for you? I don't think normal pizza, potato chips, or all donuts have much, if any, high fructose corn syrup.

Not to mention I don't think potato chips have much "refined bleach wheat flour".

Another commonality I'd point out - the relatively easy access to large quantities of the above foods. I mean most people buy potato chips in large, multi-serving bags; doughnuts by the dozen; and pizza in a size that's intended to serve 3-4 people. So it's very easy to binge on these items when you have large quantities on hand.

Most people aren't buying and preparing 3-4 pork chops at a time for themselves - much easier to control intake.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

So onto binge eating:

Thanks for reading.

Interestingly, all of those could be linked by saying they're social foods - most of those are commonly eaten around other people at social events.

Or if nothing else, they're hyperpalatable.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I have another link for you :)

http://www.moderation.org/faq/coping.shtml

Here is the intro:

Habits and urges go hand in hand. In fact, many people in the throes of an addictive behavior problem, whether it is overeating, drug use or alcohol abuse, claim that they derive no pleasure from their habit--that it is nothing but the relentless craving that fuels ongoing addictive behavior. What is usually most difficult for people when changing a bad habit is coping with the sometimes relentless urges. The initial days of a habit kicking plan can be exhausting as urges dominate thinking and interfere with daily routine. Many people give up change efforts because they feel that there is no way they can function without their habit as the urges interfere too much with quality of life.

It is important to remember that urges, in and of themselves, are normal. We experience craving in varying degrees every day. And because your habit has been important to you for a long time, it may be unreasonable to expect urges to vanish completely. What is hoped is that you will come to experience urges with less frequency and that when they are experienced you will be able to react in a way that avoids relapse.

The "three Ds" can be helpful in coping with urges and craving, 'whether these urges are related to alcohol or drug use, overeating, tobacco use or any habit you are attempting to change. The Ds stand for Decatastrophizing, Disputing expectancies and Distracting.

I would say this is good advice if you truly feel as if it's an addiction. If it's just a habit, you might be able to add sugar back in

Actually, that advice came from a website that tries to help with moderation if you can't or won't try abstinence. They encourage abstinence mind you, and ask that you spend 30 days away from your "habit" to begin. The organization began as an attempt to help problem drinkers who want to drink on occasion but want to stop their habits of drinking too much or too frequently. I found a lot of advice that looked like it could work for overeating treats too.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

So onto binge eating:

Thanks for reading.

Interesting point about the social foods. Another thing that foods that are commonly overeaten accidently have in common -- in addition to often being mixes of sugar and fat or salt and fat -- is that they tend not to have an automatic stop. For example, give me a serving of some foods on my place and I might eat more than I should (in terms of finishing the plate), but I'm not then going to wander around eating food off others places or order a second meal. But let me get a pizza--especially if it's on the table in front of me--and there's no natural stopping place unless you have a firm idea (2 pieces) and go in with strong discipline. It's made to encourage people to overeat.

Same with habits like eating chips from a refillable bowl on the table or out of a bag, cookies out of a bag, etc. I think a huge amount of overeating relates to stuff like this more than the specific food (beyond it being highly palatable, of course).

And I'm another for whom HFCS made no difference. I've tended to avoid HFCS for ages--not because I thought it was worse, but because I dislike the way that corn is subsidized and has affected the food market and, besides have just always been really picky about the sweets I like (and I have never eaten any bread with HFCS). That doesn't mean I haven't overeaten some sweet stuff or indulged in eating habits that resulted in me getting fat. IMO, if quitting HFCS works, it's because it narrows the availability of foods that people might overeat and makes them more thoughtful -- not a bad thing, but not about addiction.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So onto binge eating:

Because I lack self control I cannot eat one potato chip.

I'm not a binger, but I've read about it and known people who struggle with it, and I wouldn't say it was about self control. That notion makes me uncomfortable, as it seems counter-productive.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

So onto binge eating:

Thanks for reading.

Or if nothing else, they're hyperpalatable.

This too, of course. And hyperpalatable foods really are nothing new, although the current low cost and availability is. I posted something in the other addiction thread about fat having the same effect as sugar which might be on point here.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

So onto binge eating:

Thanks for reading.

YES!!! Thank you for sharing.

I definitely have an addictive personality. For that reason I never smoked or did drugs. I had my first drink at 21 and stopped drinking by the time I was 22. I can let things get out of control too easily.

Sugar for me is not good. I cannot do moderation with sugar. I never liked pizza or pasta, but when I cut out sweets, I found myself randomly craving a pizza. And I pretty much have always hated pizza. I have had zero control with carbs and find that im much better all around when I limit them drastically. That's not to say that I never have those things anymore, I just had to go without them for MONTHS before I could let them back. And even now, sometimes I go way overboard if you catch me on the wrong day. So I'm super cautious with sugar.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    formeonly wrote: »
    How to give up sugar? Where do you get the will power? I know what I need to do. It sounds so simple but I haven't been successful yet. Help

Are you consuming a lot of soda?

I replaced soda with sparkling mineral water when I started counting calories. I still get the fizz and the zing.

Loads less sugar/calories now!

But I still eat chocolate or dessert of some sort every night.

You might not need to give up sugar completely. You could just cut back in some areas. Best wishes.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I've been addicted to sugar all my life. It cost me my marriage, my house and my job. I feel you.

That's pretty horrible, that you allowed your issues with food to affect the other areas of your life so strongly that you lost control over them and lost your spouse and your job. Yes, you allowed that to happen. The sugar didn't do it, you did it. Sugar doesn't have that kind of control over you, and doesn't affect you the same way that drugs or alcohol do. Whatever emotional or mental issue you were using the food to avoid is what destroyed your life, because you were afraid to face it and still are.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek, but I certainly hope it is.
    mccindy72 wrote: »

That's pretty horrible, that you allowed your issues with food to affect the other areas of your life so strongly that you lost control over them and lost your spouse and your job. Yes, you allowed that to happen. The sugar didn't do it, you did it. Sugar doesn't have that kind of control over you, and doesn't affect you the same way that drugs or alcohol do. Whatever emotional or mental issue you were using the food to avoid is what destroyed your life, because you were afraid to face it and still are.

And, if you response is not tongue in cheek, I am sorry about your situation, but I agree with mccindy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

paranoidparrot_105440_1325138405.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    And where is my darn avatar.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    And where is my darn avatar.

Check the couch cushions :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cold Turkey! The only way! And stock up on Stevia, the only safe alternative. :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

So onto binge eating:

Thanks for reading.

I've also discovered eating meat stops the cravings. Wish I'd known this years ago.