Question about "calories burned"

Options
I am new to this exercise thing and I have a question.

I have a stationary bicycle. If I ride 10 minutes, at resistance level 6 (out of 10), at approximately 15 mph - I "travel" 3 miles. When I add that to the exercise calculator on this site, it calculates that I've burned 128 calories. The bicycle has its own "calories burned" part of the computer and it calculates that I have burned 21 calories.

That is a BIG difference.

When I go to the gym and do the circuit room, I use each machine for 8 minutes before moving on. On those machines, they calculate that I burn between 60-90 calories per 8 minutes (I set these at less resistance than mine at home so it makes sense that the calories burned would be slightly reduced).

Do I go by the machine "calories burned" or the calculator here?? What accounts for the huge difference in my bicycle "calories burned."

Thanks for your help. I am just trying HARD to calculate effectively so I am not disappointed at weigh in time.

Replies

• breyegrl
    breyegrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am new to this exercise thing and I have a question.

I have a stationary bicycle. If I ride 10 minutes, at resistance level 6 (out of 10), at approximately 15 mph - I "travel" 3 miles. When I add that to the exercise calculator on this site, it calculates that I've burned 128 calories. The bicycle has its own "calories burned" part of the computer and it calculates that I have burned 21 calories.

That is a BIG difference.

When I go to the gym and do the circuit room, I use each machine for 8 minutes before moving on. On those machines, they calculate that I burn between 60-90 calories per 8 minutes (I set these at less resistance than mine at home so it makes sense that the calories burned would be slightly reduced).

Do I go by the machine "calories burned" or the calculator here?? What accounts for the huge difference in my bicycle "calories burned."

Thanks for your help. I am just trying HARD to calculate effectively so I am not disappointed at weigh in time.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    If you put your weight and everything in at the gym then go by the equipment.

That is a big discrepency so it couldn't hurt to ask a trainer or someone at your gym what they think
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    I think some of it goes by your weight, i.e. If you weigh in at 160 say and you 5'6" and your friend is 250 and 5'3" and you both do exactly the same thing on your bike, because of the size differance your friend would burn more calories, you know takes more energy to move 250 lbs than it does 160. Here I think it is figured in since the calculations can include your weight. I am guessing though might want to check with Mike.
  • sundaygirl85
    Options
    My guess re: the cycling is that this site is referring to cycling outdoors, which would be physically harder than stationary cycling (in the same way that running outddors is harder and burns more calories running on a treadmill, due to the work your body needs to do to actually propel you forward when you're on a static surface). So I think you have to go with your machine (unfortunately!) and enter your stationary cycling as a personal exercise.

Jen
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I also noticed this huge difference when comparing the list on here to the stationary bike or treadmill, etc. I have always exercised but have never kept track of calories burned untill very recently. When I saw this huge gap I was concerned, but then I did start entering my weight and age into the machines before I began my workout. By doing this the machine "knows" who is working out and can calculate the calories burned more acurately. However even these counts can be slightly off. To be on the safe side I usually knock of 15-30 calories from whatever total I'm given. So if the treadmill says I burned 318, I record 300. Just like I round up a bit when I'm tracking my calories eaten, but that's just me, I'd rather error on the side of caution.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    The BEST way to calculate calories is to buy a health meter (one of the watches and chest straps). I know they are a little expensive, but they are extremely accurate (I never exercise without mine) even the best machine in the gym won't be as accurate as one of these because they use median numbers to calculate, instead of actually calculating based on your heartrate. As you put in not only your weight, but your height, age, and sex, it gives you a very accurate description, based on heart rate and base rates. Then you can add your own exercises to the database and use that. Just remember, as you loose weight and get in better shape, the amount of calories burned will change, so you have to adjust your saved exercises every few months.