How do you build cardio endurance?

Options
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to gain cardio endurance. I currently run for about 10 minutes before I become fatigued and would like to be able to run for a longer duration.

Thanks,

-Russ

Replies

• kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    look up the programme couch to 5 k or c25k, it is a programme that gradually over a couple of months builds your running ability up.
    You start by running 1 min then walking 1 min for 20 mins each.
    you end up running 15 min walk for 1 min then another 15 mins.

It honestly changed my cardio work outs completly, and now if i put my mind to it i can run 30 mins at a constant pace quite easily!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Interval training is the best way I know. Space intervals of high intensity exercise with recovery periods at a lower intensity. Walk for a few minutes to warm up, run for two minutes, walk for two minutes, then run again. The timing of the intervals will vary depending on your fitness and goals. Check out programs like Couch to 5k for detailed plans.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    when you fall off the treadmill get back on :bigsmile:
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
  • bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    add time on a regular basis. I added 60 sec every few days...it will build up over time.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    The more you do an exercise the more your body adapts. So just keep it up and you will find it to start becoming easier.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Interval training is a good way to build endurance. Try running for a a minute or two, walking for a minute, and then running. Repeat the same cycle for 15-20 minutes. As you begin to build endurance, reduce your walking time and increase your running time.

Weight lifting can also help. Make sure you don't get frustrated with training because it takes a while to build endurance for running!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    look up the programme couch to 5 k or c25k, it is a programme that gradually over a couple of months builds your running ability up.
    You start by running 1 min then walking 1 min for 20 mins each.
    you end up running 15 min walk for 1 min then another 15 mins.

This is good advice. I started like you, just running as much as possible (10 minutes and I maxed out). Went onto the C25K plan for a while (I started on week 4 because I was already running a fair distance without help). Carried through until week 7, then deviated from the plan. However, those three weeks were really great in building my endurance up.

After that, I just steadily increase my mileage - it's easy to build cardio endurance from then on - I just endure more cardio.

Interval training really helps get you started though. :)
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know this seems like a no-brainer, but... just keep going! Try to push yourself just a little bit further every time you go out, even if it's only by 20 or 30 seconds. I read about the c25k thing but didn't exactly follow it. I just jogged until I was tired, then walked some, then pushed myself to jog a little more. Tell yourself you'll run to the next intersection (or half a lap, or whatever) and then try to go just a bit further than that.

Advice from personal experience: You'll have better days and you'll have not-so-good days, but just keep at it.

Also, you might want to slow down a little. Reduce your pace so you can go for longer. After a while, your endurance will build up.

EDIT: Of course, make sure you're healthy enough to run in the first place! I'm not a doctor, so definitely see yours if you haven't already. I wouldn't want you to collapse because you pushed yourself too hard. Walk when you need to, stop if anything hurts.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Intervals!! No one would expect a new swimmer to jump in and swim a mile right away. But if they do intervals, they could swim a mile a day. Over time, your endurance will build up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You just keep doing it. When I first started running I couldn't run across the street without becoming winded. My daughter suggested I run a few steps then walk a few then run again and so on. I'm sorry to say that I started with 10 steps running and 100 steps walking. I tried to up that every couple of days. And it worked! In just a couple of weeks I could run a mile and from there is was all downhill (so to speak).
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Like the others said - interval training is the way to build up cardio endurance. I've built up from only being able to run about 8 minutes at a 9.2km/h pace (at the end of January) to 45 minutes at an 11km/h pace and I can just keep running at a 10km/h pace now! Currently working towards a half marathon (although that really is very far!).

I did it by doing 5k runs 4 times a week. I ran half a km and walked half a km and then gradually upped the proportion of running after each workout when I didn't die! Remember to keep the pace down (even if you feel good) for the first couple of months. It took me about 3 weeks to run my first 5k without stopping (from memory) and once I could run a 5k without stopping I started working on getting speed up and gradually increasing the distance. I do remember VERY CLEARLY how much it hurt when I ran the first full 5k - I had to sit down on the mats in the corner of the gym for a while and I was drenched in sweat and looked like I was about to have a heart attack. That was only four and a half months ago and I don't even feel a 5k now unless I'm running at a pace above 11.5km/h!

Good luck - let me know if you want any other tips!
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I know this seems like a no-brainer, but... just keep going! Try to push yourself just a little bit further every time you go out, even if it's only by 20 or 30 seconds. I read about the c25k thing but didn't exactly follow it. I just jogged until I was tired, then walked some, then pushed myself to jog a little more. Tell yourself you'll run to the next intersection (or half a lap, or whatever) and then try to go just a bit further than that.

Advice from personal experience: You'll have better days and you'll have not-so-good days, but just keep at it.

Also, you might want to slow down a little. Reduce your pace so you can go for longer. After a while, your endurance will build up.
    Her last line was GOLD! :0
    I use my HRM set to target heart rate and keep it at 85%... I went as long as I could (elliptical) and set that to be my pace for one week.
    The next week I added 5 minutes - if I couldn't do it, I stayed one more week... etc...
    I started at 15 minutes a day on the elliptical (389 pounds) - I can now maintain that for 90 minutes - i'm faster, my heart rate is the same ratio (but i work harder to get there) because of the endurance gained...

:)
    Most of the time I found it took about 2 weeks before I could jump up (in the beginning) after about 2 months - every week I was either increasing time or intensity...
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    To build running endurance you need to slow your pace in order to go farther. Long and slow.
  • satch45
    satch45 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips all!

-Russ
  • peggy1209
    peggy1209 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have had luck with interval training as well. I recently started doing sprints, and noticed an improvement in my 1 mile time. (This year was the first year I was able to run a mile iwhtout stopping).

Also - cross training - even doing a class like Zumba gets your body use to moving for 60 minutes at a time - might be helpful.