18 pounds in 2 months? Possible?

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hmm, someone sounds bitter about something...
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Do not ask for any advice on losing weight quickly on here. People immediately go for you. If you are trying to lose weight in a way they don't approve of then it's apparently wrong because they know it all.

Oh dear, so sorry you find it offensive that people here want to make sure that newbies are setting HEALTHY, realistic goals that will enable them to lose the weight in a HEALTHY way...
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Do not ask for any advice on losing weight quickly on here. People immediately go for you. If you are trying to lose weight in a way they don't approve of then it's apparently wrong because they know it all.

An OP with 22 lbs to lose cannot lose 18 of them in that short of a time frame - it's not about opinion or what anyone approves of - it's science.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

So what would your advice be? @mumbles2013
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I am well aware of the fact that I don't know everything or even most of everything. The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know! I don't even pretend to be an expert on nutrition or weight loss. I am, however, an expert on my experience. I'm the top, worldwide leading expert in Me.

I do not believe there is One Best Way to lose weight and very much believe that everyone has to find the way that works for them. Part of finding one's way might include asking others, reading different ideas and trying different things until one finds what they like. So, when someone asks for ideas, getting many different ones is always a big plus and the best part of forums such as these.

I was not "going for" the OP in any way and hope the OP didn't feel attacked in any way. It was never my intention.

• kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I'm just trying to figure out why this comment was flagged. Like, you people seriously abuse the "flag" option here
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

I'm just trying to figure out why this comment was flagged. Like, you people seriously abuse the "flag" option here

oh yes just went back and saw it. nothing in this post is flag worthy
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you only have 22 lbs to lose overall, 18 isn't really viable in that time frame. If you are crashing hard because, I don't know... you're getting married or something, then you'd have to take a pretty drastic approach to pull it off; to which you would find little support outside of the Ana-Mia community because of the health risks/sacrifices involved.
    I'm sure there are things... shakes, wraps, whatever, that would get you a little closer faster, but as the community will be quick to tell you those things are only temporary and you are almost guaranteed to put the weight right back on when you stop using/taking them so if this is just to lose and maintain I wouldn't recommend them; they're fad crap.
    @SueInAz crunched some ball-park numbers for you and the info is sound, contrary to @mumbles2013 's opinion, it has little to do with community approval and more to do with those numbers.
    Whatever you're goal & whatever the reason, I wish you luck.

• hajenna
    hajenna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello guys,
    Please suggest if there are any ways, diet changes etc. to lose 18 pounds in 2 months and how do I go about it? In dire need of help...

Hi! I don't know if my case is very common, but I have lost 22 pounds in the past couple of months. I'm 5'10" and started at 162ish (maybe a little more) at the end of summer and now I'm 140. I have been sticking to the 1200 calories a day (with minimal cheat days) and I dance a few days a week & have just added in a couple nights of crunches, squats, leg raises, triceps dips, etc. I also walk a LOT. Honestly, truly sticking to my diet plan and cutting out all sorts of junk food has had a huge impact, at least for me. Good luck!

• sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The last time I checked there are plenty of people on the site who are both close to their goal weight and losing around 2 ibs a week. That would be 16 rather than 20 ibs in 2 months, but perfectly doable and safe if you exercise and/ or find a way of maintaining a 7k/ wk calorie deficit. It also depends a lot on the person, as bodies are all different and what works for someone else might not work for you.

Not wanting to cause an argument or anything, but at the very least 2 ibs a week is doable if you go about it the right way.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    The last time I checked there are plenty of people on the site who are both close to their goal weight and losing around 2 ibs a week. That would be 16 rather than 20 ibs in 2 months, but perfectly doable and safe if you exercise and/ or find a way of maintaining a 7k/ wk calorie deficit. It also depends a lot on the person, as bodies are all different and what works for someone else might not work for you.

Not wanting to cause an argument or anything, but at the very least 2 ibs a week is doable if you go about it the right way.

That is entirely dependent on a person's given stats. When you're close to your goal, you're not SUPPOSED to safely lose 2 lb a week because that is not how the human body is designed. I can't even fathom the deficit I would be eating in to lose 2 lb a week and the malnutrition I would be subject to.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your activity level - if your TDEE is high, you can manage, but be warned. Particularly as you approach your goal weight, the faster you go, the more lean mass you lose as a portion of total mass lost. You're more likely to end up "skinny fat" where you reach the goal weight but much higher on body fat% than you want. It's harder to rebuild muscle than never to have lost it to begin with.
  • jakelee65
    jakelee65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was not in the obese range but I have lost 17 lbs in 7 weeks on the ideal protein program, I didn't feel hungry, I really enjoyed their products and had more energy than before the program, so yes I believe it can be done!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    How tall is the OP and what is a current weigh in? If your TDEE is high and you pay really close attention to your nutrient intake you might be able to get pretty close. That said it could also be pretty unrealistic. The closer you get to your goal weight the slower it seems to come off. I'm about 8lbs away and this is the first week I haven't registered any weightloss at all. Just stayed static all week.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

You could lose 2 lbs a week, it just wouldn't be mostly fat, if you weigh less than 200 lbs. The lower the weight the smaller your deficit can be to lose mostly fat. It is not opinion or choice it is science.
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    http://muscleevo.net/intermittent-fasting-muscle-loss/

In particular;

(Dr. Krista Varady's) conclusion reads as follows: (I'm aware it's an old article, but I can't find the one I was looking for and it's almost midnight)

“From the studies reviewed here, it would appear as though a lower proportion of lean mass is lost in response to intermittent calorie restriction (90% weight lost as fat, 10% weight loss as fat free mass) when compared to daily calorie restriction (75% weight lost as fat, 25% weight loss as fat free mass).”

Note: I'm not saying there aren't exceptions (or that one can practice fasting in an unsafe way). I'm also not saying that things like intermittent fasting and it's various protocols are for everyone. What I am saying is that this is something that works for me, and I regularly consult my doctor to see if I am losing lean tissue or muscle mass - if i was I wouldn't be doing alternate day fasting to start with.

This is just one example. There are also cases of people being extremely active, or perhaps they have an extremely fast metabolism. Again I'm not really looking to create an argument here, but all I'm saying is it is possible and I deem it a little unfair to label fasters, those with a faster metabolism or particularly active individuals as unhealthy.

• daniwilford
    Options
    I have not seen evidence that there are females who are successful losing at the rate 2 lbs a week for the last 20 lbs of their loss before getting to a healthy BMI. Show me your plenty of MFP members that are doing this and I might be interested in how they do it absent a very low calorie diet and excessive exercise.
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's possible with running long distances every day.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    sinbad714 wrote: »

If you're creating a caloric deficit and have enough to lose, yes.
  • daniwilford
    Options
    sinbad714 wrote: »
    Remember we are talking about a female. By long distances are you talking about a 5K or a marathon?