Replies

• akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Beautiful post, thank you!
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Your mind is like a bad friend, it will remember every single thing you did wrong and will not hesitate to throw it back in your face at every opportunity. "You can't do this, you tried before and failed", "Just give up, we both know you haven't got it in you", "Why are you even going to bother trying to stop drinking?"

But you can beat it.

When I first started running in 2010 I used to manage about 5 minutes before having to walk because my knee hurt. It wasn't a bad hurt because it was gone by the time I got home but it was enough to stop me. It was my mind telling me I'd reached my limit. Then one day I went out and the hurt came as usual but I said STFU I'm not stopping and I ran for 20 minutes straight. The hurt went nearly as soon as I decided to keep going. It was the most amazing feeling I've had. I was able to beat myself.

Your mind is like a basic computer that does what it's always done, if you let it, it will keep doing the same thing over and over. Only you can reprogram it. Don't let your past dictate your future. YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR MIND

Good luck out there. Or should I say in there
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    @Caitwn , just thank you for having the courage to share this. You rock, my friend! <3
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    As someone coming up on 13 years sober, I agree. Would like to add, there ARE times when the squirrels in your head won't STFU. You CAN move past it!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    robspot wrote: »
    Your mind is like a bad friend, it will remember every single thing you did wrong and will not hesitate to throw it back in your face at every opportunity. "You can't do this, you tried before and failed", "Just give up, we both know you haven't got it in you", "Why are you even going to bother trying to stop drinking?"

But you can beat it.

When I first started running in 2010 I used to manage about 5 minutes before having to walk because my knee hurt. It wasn't a bad hurt because it was gone by the time I got home but it was enough to stop me. It was my mind telling me I'd reached my limit. Then one day I went out and the hurt came as usual but I said STFU I'm not stopping and I ran for 20 minutes straight. The hurt went nearly as soon as I decided to keep going. It was the most amazing feeling I've had. I was able to beat myself.

Your mind is like a basic computer that does what it's always done, if you let it, it will keep doing the same thing over and over. Only you can reprogram it. Don't let your past dictate your future. YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR MIND

Along the STFU lines, our self-talk has a way of making our problems seem bigger than they are.

I used to eat a lot when I had anxiety over situations I couldn't face. I realized that I literally felt dwarfed by my problems and I just ate to soothe all that. One of the coping strategies I used to deal with that issue involved visualizing myself standing next to a pictorial representation of my problem.

At first, the "problem" would be how I'd usually perceive it--looming over me, large and threatening. Then I'd tell myself that I was bigger than my problems, I was strong, and capable, and given time would be able to see a way through. I'd then visualize the pictorial representation of the problem shrinking while I grew while I repeated "I am bigger than my problems".

This sounds simplistic, but you know what? It worked for me.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

But you can beat it.

<3
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    @Caitwn, you rock. There is simply no other way to say it. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

But you can beat it.

Love it. B)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I missed this last week. So glad to see it this time around!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    AMAZING. I'm going to bookmark this post and read it again and again.

May I copy and paste this in a Facebook group I'm part of?