SOC Week 3

Options
The results. If you wanna weigh in for this past week. Message me.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/mail.niagara.edu/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AuQz-BrjLb8RdHBWMkpWOW5yVjRJMWczTVk4RDNNS0E&output=html

Note to everyone: If you do not want to be in the group anymore/do not have time. Let me know ASAP. After thursday I will be in Florida until the 22nd and I will not have a lot of time to dedicate to MFP.
I will be in Florida for this week.. So you won't be seeing much of me! How many of you are going on vacation sometime this summer? Camping? To a theme park? Make a plan. Decide what foods you are not going to eat at all there, what you are going to allow yourself to eat, and what healthy decisions you are going to make while you are there. How are you going to workout on vacation?
But make sure you evaluate what you are eating. Sometimes, when we are working out on a regular basis we neglect our eating habits. I did the first week. Make sure you track everything that you put in your mouth.
Help each other out. In this weeks post, name 5 healthy foods you eat on a regular basis. Then name 5 unhealthy foods. Maybe you’ll get new suggestions to replace the unhealthy foods.

Replies

• GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    Healthy foods I tend to eat are:

Fruits like bananas and pineapple
    Yogurt
    Squash,zuccini, various veggies
    Chicken
    Salads

Unhealthy foods:
    Ice cream (we got a free gallon with our paycheck last week :/ bad news for me. ice cream is my favorite!)
    breads. I like bagels but I know they're not the best
    Chocolate
    too much cheese. It's supposed to be eaten in moderation
    fried stuff

I can't wait to go to the beach. Luckily my favorite thing to do is walk the beach! I love walking right where the water will hit my feet :) and I never realize how incredibly far I walk until I turn around hours later. I will definitely get in my exercise in between my (lets face it) slightly poor choices ;)
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump--bedtime, but I'll be back to post after I sleep on it ;)
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    healthy foods i eat:
    blueberries (LOVE)
    chicken (protein.. woo!)
    carrots
    broccoli!
    grapes

unhealthy foods:
    pasta
    ice cream
    brownies!
    too many potatoes
    chips

(I binge eat when I am upset... that's the biggest problem)
  • Abaestuo
    Abaestuo Posts: 4
    Options
    Baaaah, I'm messaging you with my weigh in last week. :D

Healthy foods I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE:
    Baby carrots.
    Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries.
    Apples
    Bannanas (Especially when you freeze them, yumm!)

Unhealthy foods... I'll probably eat over summer:
    I'm addicted to Peanut Butter and Nutella.
    Its a problem, haha.
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    Options
    healthy food I love
    fruit. all kinds.
    saltine crackers
    eggs
    yogurt
    tea

unhealthy food i love:
    goldfish crackers.
    ice cream
    chocolate in all shapes, sizes, colors & flavors
    wine
    breakfast--and i mean the horrible ihop breakfast with waffles, bacon, eggs,and plenty of syrup.
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My "vacations" generally consist of extensive hiking and backpacking, and I eat a lot of granola, nuts, and veggies. Every summer, though, I return to my redneck roots for a long weekend of Midwestern lake camping, which is a health disaster. I'm definitely having s'mores, but I'm going to bring special dark chocolate for the "grown-ups." I will also drink--a lot--but this year I'm going to try to cut some of my classy boxed wine with sparkling water. I'll take along a soccer ball, my wiffle ball set, and some frisbees, as well as swim as much as I can. A plus is that the nearest bathroom is usually about a mile away through sand and the drinking makes for many a sprint--that counts as exercise, right?

5 healthy foods I eat:
    plain, nonfat Greek yogurt (yum!)
    berries (all kinds--so good!)
    spinach
    whole grains (I'm very picky about this!)
    green tea (ok, not a food, but it's amazing iced!)

5 unhealthy foods:
    cheese
    chocolate (some is fine, but my day usually includes chocolate milk, dark chocolate, and Nutella)
    tortilla chips (10 is so NOT an adequate serving size!)
    alcohol (le sigh)
    My biggest problem is that I eat too much of everything!
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    healthy foods:
    --berries <3
    --fish
    --veggies
    --oranges

unhealthy foods:
    --fried foods (I am southern)
    --chocolate
    --bad breakfast foods
    --candy bars

I'll be visiting friends this summer (and hopefully this cute boy that I like you know) but other than that I'll be around. Hopefully, I'll be able to do some swimming and hiking with friends. When I'm visiting friends though, I have to exercise (maybe some early running). I also have to not drink as much when I see them, (which is going to be very hard let me tell you).
  • kirstydoeslife
    Options
    Healthy Foods :)
    SOUP! Haha - winter hereee :P
    Egg Whites
    Whole wheat bread
    Home-made Muesli (Granola)
    Veges

Unhealthy Foods :(
    Going to be honest here and say that I haven't eaten anything I would consider 'unhealthy' in almost a month.
    Stayed away from chocolate, ice-cream, desserts, and my copious amounts of baking - not even licking the bowl!
    I love sugar-free jello though - really high in protein! And eat tinned fruit (the no-added sugar kind). So if those are unhealthy, then those :P

Going away this weekend (Queen's Bday Weekend), to Rotorua, NZ for a youth leaders training weekend. Which should be good. Food is being provided, but I'm taking all my meals down. Pre-packaged and pre-decided food is the best. Not eating whatever they'll be serving.
    I'm too picky atm. What with being vegetarian, and dairy free. And also mostly gluten-free. It's just a lot easier if I take down my own food!
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Healthy foods that I LOVE:

Avocados
    Fruit of any kind
    Vegetables of any kind
    Beans
    Chobani Greek Yogurt
    Peanut Butter
    and...
    NUTS!

Unhealthy foods that I love:
    Pancakes
    Cookies
    (shoot sweets in general)
    Starbucks
    Ice cream
    Fried things...
    Nutella (oh my goodness)
    and
    Sodas!

I'm trying to cut some of the bad things out of my diet, but mainly sodas. Trying to add in lots of water- living in the desert south west, sugary horchata and carbonated things are much more appealing than water sometimes. I don't believe I'll be traveling too much, but I'm hoping that I will get to go to Austin. But I'll be exercising a lot, including kickboxing, playing tennis 3x a week with my neighbor, and walking the puppies! Woop!
  • Sarac715
    Sarac715 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Healthy Foods:

Old Fashioned Oatmeal
    Carrots
    Spinach
    Raspberries (and whatever fruit is in season really!)
    Fish (Tilapia)

Unhealthy:
    Treats of all kinds (mostly chocolate and ice cream... but cookies have been my weakness lately too)
    Wine and well a lot of alcohol really
    Chips and salsa and margaritas!

My main problem is just binging on the weekends. I can do really well during the week when I am at work all day and on a tight schedule, but its harder on the weekends for me. I really need to work on that!

Vacation-wise..... just weekend trips here and there. Going to a white sox game in July. Can't wait for my hot dog at the ball park. I decided on only a hot dog and an italian ice, and maybe some peanuts. Kind of sad I have decided this over a month in advance haha! No nachos, churros, giant pretzels, funnel cakes, ice cream bars, cotton candy, or margaritas! Well maaayybe a churro... :)

July is going to be rough for me especially. 4th of July, White Sox Game, HP7 Release, my Birthday, and trip up to Minneapolis... My favorite month but I'm almost dreading it!

My goal is to not drink any alcohol until June 15th (going out to a fancy dinner that night and I'm going to have as much wine as I please :)).
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    OH! And I also love my MRM Whey protein after workouts. It's soooo freaking yummy. And if I get a sweet tooth, it's always an amazing way to cure it!
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Haha, what an appropriate post. The reason I didn't make it to weighing in for this week is because I was on vacation. Spent a few days in Boston visiting the family and exploring the city, and going to the beach! It was a lot of fun, and yes, I slacked off and didn't eat all that healthy, but I feel like that's allowed on vacation. That's my only vacation planned so far :(

I don't really make a plan for vacation eating. On vacation I try to just enjoy myself, and I'm usually eating foods I don't get to experience often. I'm all for being healthy, but part of that is knowing when to just let yourself relax. As for working out, I definitely walked a LOT this past weekend doing sightseeing things, and that tends to be the case for a lot of vacations. Hotels sometimes have fitness centers that are convenient though.

Sooo, healthy foods:
    -healthy life bread/english muffins
    -asparagus (its crazy in the garden right now)
    -grilled fish
    -yogurt
    -LOTS of water, haha

unhealthy-
    -peanut butter... though I do eat the natural stuff, its still pretty calorie high
    -alcohol
    -cheeeeeeeeeese

That's all I can really think of at the moment... I eat crappy when I'm on vacation or taking a break day, but I don't really count those days in comparison to my normal days.

I'm glad a few of us are are sticking with the group! It seems like a lot of people have disappeared :(
  • GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    Ah! STARBUCKS!!! That dEFINITELY should've been on my bad list. Especially during happy hour week haha. I have been trying to go for healthier choices. I looked up calorie counts and most of it is in the whipped creme. So I get any cold drinks with non fat milk and no whip. It's easier to be healthier in the Winter with it because I loooove their hot coffees. Verona, Tribune Blend, Italian. They're my faves :9
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    sorry i haven't been very consistent about sticking with this group... I've been a bit busy :(

ANYWAY.

healthy:
    - eggs - basically my brunch/lunch every day
    - brussels sprouts and other greens - throughout the day
    - walnuts - epic snack food
    - butter (yes. butter is healthy: it contains vitamin A, D, E, and K; fats such as butter are essential for absorbing nutrients from vegetables)
    - strawberries - epic dessert or snack food

unhealthy:
    - hershey's dark chocolate bliss pieces - I eat a few each day, and I probably shouldn't...
    - cereal, my binge food - I don't eat it most of the time, but I had a bad binge yesterday, and that was basically all I had
    - clif builders protein bars - okay... they aren't that bad because of the protein, and they're less processed than most, but they're kind of high in sugar
    - bread, also a binge food - again, I don't really eat it on normal days, but when I binge, I go for this, too
    - coffee - well, it's not that bad for me, but I drink a cup of decaf of caf. nearly every day, i should probably cut back

Basically I'm pretty good except on binge days, in which I shovel cereal and bread into my face at like... midnight... and then can't sleep for two hours because I feel like poop.
  • GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    this week's weigh in is not gonna look good for me :/ I've been working working working and now I have 9-5 jury duty all week. No exercise for me. I'll have to just watch what I eat while at court. boooooo.

How's everyone else doing???
  • neuroticlin89
    neuroticlin89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Healthy Foods
    Apples
    Watermelon
    Cantaloupe
    Cucumbers
    Spinach

Unhealthy Foods
    Mini Muffins
    Cake
    Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Chips
    Mishti (This is a type of desert common among South Asians and is ridiculously beyond sweet)
    pasta

I don't plan on going on vacation anywhere this summer but it's been hard trying to stick to eating healthy either way. My neighbors have a lot of get togethers at their houses. It happens very often as we all live so close to one another and all of them are housewives so when summer comes around these gatherings become a weekly thing now that their kids have no school. Also, everyone in the neighborhood loves sending over food and snacks to each other most of which is very delicious and may not be so bad in small portions but since I'm the only person in my house who can eat any of it, I usually don't eat it in portions. My biggest problem used to be soda but I've been able to give that up for the most part.
  • neuroticlin89
    Options
    this week's weigh in is not gonna look good for me :/ I've been working working working and now I have 9-5 jury duty all week. No exercise for me. I'll have to just watch what I eat while at court. boooooo.

How's everyone else doing???

Jury duty all week? That really sucks. Maybe you can squeeze in HIIT for about 15 minutes at some point in your day? Every little bit makes a difference.

Yea my weigh in isn't looking that great for me either. My weight has been fluctuating and every time I lose some weight, I end up gaining it back.
  • neuroticlin89
    Options
    sorry i haven't been very consistent about sticking with this group... I've been a bit busy :(

ANYWAY.

healthy:
    - eggs - basically my brunch/lunch every day
    - brussels sprouts and other greens - throughout the day
    - walnuts - epic snack food
    - butter (yes. butter is healthy: it contains vitamin A, D, E, and K; fats such as butter are essential for absorbing nutrients from vegetables)
    - strawberries - epic dessert or snack food

unhealthy:
    - hershey's dark chocolate bliss pieces - I eat a few each day, and I probably shouldn't...
    - cereal, my binge food - I don't eat it most of the time, but I had a bad binge yesterday, and that was basically all I had
    - clif builders protein bars - okay... they aren't that bad because of the protein, and they're less processed than most, but they're kind of high in sugar
    - bread, also a binge food - again, I don't really eat it on normal days, but when I binge, I go for this, too
    - coffee - well, it's not that bad for me, but I drink a cup of decaf of caf. nearly every day, i should probably cut back

Basically I'm pretty good except on binge days, in which I shovel cereal and bread into my face at like... midnight... and then can't sleep for two hours because I feel like poop.

Same here, I haven't been able to be consistent as well but mainly because I didn't have internet. Wish my excuse was that I was busy as well lol but I've been bumming it out at home, trying to find a job.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm usually good except for the binge days. I don't know why we do it especially when we end up feeling horrible after it. The few pieces of dark chocolate actually isn't that bad. I heard there are a lot of benefits to dark chocolate and if you can chalk it down to one piece a day, you can most definitely eat it without any guilt.