Do you eat Quark?

Options
I have recently moved to Helsinki and got introduced to Quark. Quark is packed with protien so it keeps hunger at bay and virtually fat free!!

It's creamier and less sour than Turkish yogurt. Worth a try and here it's actually cheaper than Turkish yoghurt.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    No but I want to. I have yet to find it in any stores near me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I tried the brand we can find in the US (Ellis) and it was horrible. Would love to try another brand though but there isn't any here.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use it to make cheesecake...
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I would love to eat quark again.

But used to the Dutch kinda quark and here in the US....like mentioned above.....horrible.

But will start making it myself soon, till that time the search is still on.

95069916.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was on Weight Watchers many moons ago, I was a Quark fiend. I snuck it in everywhere. Used instead of milk and margarine in my KD. Used it instead of cream cheese. Used it instead of sour cream.

My children did not share this love. Neither one will touch it to this day.
  • f1ann4rs
    f1ann4rs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What's Quark? Of to google it!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I tried the brand we can find in the US (Ellis) and it was horrible. Would love to try another brand though but there isn't any here.

This. I really wanted to love it, but it was disgusting.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Come to Sweden then! We have so much of it it's sometimes crazy the flavour combinations that are produced (some of them perhaps not so successful!). When done right it's delicious though! I love quark but don't eat much of it because I keep forgetting to buy it these days; I also got a protein powder which I mix with milk and that's usually all the calcium and dairy I need for the day. :smile:

My favourite is the "mild vanilla". Now I want some with raspberries, aka the best dessert ever.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I prefer strings to quarks, personally
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I swapped from cottage cheese to Quark as I heard it tastes similar. Um no it doesn't... It has more protein, less sodium and calories than my cottage cheese, but I just couldn't get past the taste. We only have the plain German Quark here, no different flavours.
    As mentioned above, I do use it for cheesecake, it turns out so much nicer than when I used the regular philly cheese.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I prefer strings to quarks, personally

I love to eat fractals

Fractal_Broccoli.jpg
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    There are so many and huge differences in quark. Depends on the area it comes from the milk ( think of the cows and the fat in the grass they eat etc)

For people who dont know it, it not yogurt it is not cheese. Its kinda a fresh cheese. I noticed that here ( US) they think of cottage cheese but it is nothing like that.

Were i lived before there was an organic milk and cheese education farm. They had a small shop were they sold their own made cheese, yogurts, eggs fresh milk etc etc
    I think they had about 8 different kind of quarks and it was sooooo good!

95069916.png
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I've tried it. I didn't care for the flavor when eaten plain. If I get plain, I usually sweeten it with a flavored sweetener of some kind to make it more palatable. If I want something sour, I just have sour cream. I haven't yet but I do plan on switching it out and using it instead of "yogurt" when a recipe calls for yogurt. I've tried several of the Elli brand flavors (peach, bananas foster, sea-salt caramel, blueberry, strawberry and one other that I cant remember the flavor of right now). So far the only flavor I like of that brand is the sea-salt caramel but as I'm sure we all know taste is an extremely individualized thing!
  • mrmasonclarke
    mrmasonclarke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I didn't have cottage cheese until a few weeks ago and I don't like it at all, the texture just makes me sick.

I use plain erhmann which is 0.2 percent fat which I spice up with fruit n cinnamon. Would never go to a flavoured one personally.

kkiqfopytkdm.jpeg
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Quark is everywhere here in Holland. I personally love it
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff. The only time I've actually spat it back out was when I made the mistake of mixing it with strawberry-flavoured whey power. Eurgh. Tart+sickly sweet=terrible combination.

I mostly get the unflavoured stuff (Fit or Rainbow, occasionally Ehrmann) and put either a tiny bit of maple syrup or applesauce in it, but sometimes I have one of the flavoured Skyr ones. Some of them are a little too artifical-tasting for me, though.

Also: I don't know people say it's like cottage cheese. The consistency is completely different! As it the taste.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Vermont Creamery also makes it, so try the locator on their website to see if anyone near you sells it. I liked it, but I didn't like it enough to justify driving 30 minutes one way to buy it. If my normal store ever carries it I might switch over to that from Fage, but for now greek yogurt works just fine for snacks.
  • rigden1992c
    rigden1992c Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I hardly know anyone that has even heard of quark, let alone eats it!! I have it most mornings in place of Greek yoghurt - either with just a touch of jam to sweeten it up or a serving of protein granola for a protein boost . I'm in the UK and buy ASDA'S fat free one - would highly recommend :)

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Vermont Creamery also makes it, so try the locator on their website to see if anyone near you sells it. I liked it, but I didn't like it enough to justify driving 30 minutes one way to buy it. If my normal store ever carries it I might switch over to that from Fage, but for now greek yogurt works just fine for snacks.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm going to Whole Foods to pick up something else later today. I'll check to see if they have it.

I've tried the Elli's and it was just okay. Nothing earth-shattering.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was hooked on Elli Quark for a while but moved on to Siggi's Skyr - similar nutritional stats. I'm in the US so Elli is pretty much all we have. I found some quark at WF but the protein wasn't anything near Elli... not sure why. It was also like a million dollars an ounce.

I made my own - it was pretty good - kind of like a lighter-textured cream cheese.