bipolar?

Options
2»

Replies

• dc8combi
    dc8combi Posts: 3
    Options
    jonbobfrong- I am 41 yrs old and wasn't correctly diagnosed until about 4 years ago. I too have bipolar w/depression and it can really bring you down. My doctor had to adjust my medication several times before I felt like it made a difference. I am trying to exercise more and more because it ALWAYS makes me feel better, even if its a little walk around the block.

this disease can be debilitating if you let yourself sucumb to it. and it helps tremendously to talk to others who share it with you. feel free to ask or contact me anytime. take care.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm BP II, no meds, more depressive than anything and do doubt my diagnosis (I believe myself to be borderline). I find exercise and eating well really helps :)
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to those of you who shared your experiences :flowerforyou:
    My little sister is diagnosed with bipolar (not sure on I or II), and I'm generally at a loss with how to relate to her. We have a good relationship some of the time (i.e., when she isn't in a depressive episode), but I also worry a lot about her. The high rates of suicide, the alcohol use (she's just barely 21), I don't know, it just worries me.
    Anyway, thanks :)
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    Hey guys! It's nice (well, sort of) to see that there are others who share my difficulties.

I have Bipolar II. Went misdiagnosed from age 10 until now. I was on antidepressants until a few years ago, which only made me worse (constantly manic, or depressed and agitated) but now that I'm on a mood stabilizer (Tegretol) I'm doing fantastically. I've gone from spending my days on the couch doing nothing to being able to work, keep the house in order and get back into society!

Something I found is that my binging got a lot easier to control once I was on the right medication/dosage. Nothing had quite worked right, then all of a sudden there was that little "click" and everything fell into place.

I also have OCD, so I used to have this really nasty cycle going:

I CAN DO ANYTHING! DIET! EXERCISE! I AM GOING TO LOSE SO MUCH WEIGHT!!!!!!!! (Manic) -> Oh... uh... I'm really tired and haven't slept in four days. I also haven't lost any weight. That ice cream's looking pretty darn good right about now (Downslide) -> Seriously, I ate ice cream? WTF?? I can't do anything right! Now my whole routine is messed up. It's wrong, and I can't keep going. (OCD kicks in) -> Life sucks. I suck. No point in doing anything any more. I'm just going to eat ice cream for a week. (Depressive)

Wash, rinse, repeat. It was a really rough cycle. I kept losing a few pounds, then gaining a few pounds. I think I'm finally managing to break the cycle now.
  • eviegirl1
    eviegirl1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I want to add someMFP friends who like me have a diagnosis of bipolar, and are actively trying to manage it for a a better lifestyle. This includes strategies for medications (if you are on them) and behaviours.

Please contact me by a message or add friends request.

I am in Western Australia.
  • eviegirl1
    Options
    :smile:

Hi everyone. I have just re-read all the previous posts on this thread. There is alot being said!

A key context for me is understanding that each person has their unique experience of bipolar. No one person has all the answers or knowledge. Each person has their own care plan that is relevant to their case.

Hopefully this forum can help broaden our understanding of bipolar disorder as well as show how various individuals manage their bipolar, including using healthy eating and exercise as part of their lifestyle.
    :heart:
  • widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    Hey guys! It's nice (well, sort of) to see that there are others who share my difficulties.

I have Bipolar II. Went misdiagnosed from age 10 until now. I was on antidepressants until a few years ago, which only made me worse (constantly manic, or depressed and agitated) but now that I'm on a mood stabilizer (Tegretol) I'm doing fantastically. I've gone from spending my days on the couch doing nothing to being able to work, keep the house in order and get back into society!

Something I found is that my binging got a lot easier to control once I was on the right medication/dosage. Nothing had quite worked right, then all of a sudden there was that little "click" and everything fell into place.

I CAN DO ANYTHING! DIET! EXERCISE! I AM GOING TO LOSE SO MUCH WEIGHT!!!!!!!! (Manic) -> Oh... uh... I'm really tired and haven't slept in four days. I also haven't lost any weight. That ice cream's looking pretty darn good right about now (Downslide) -> Seriously, I ate ice cream? WTF?? I can't do anything right! Now my whole routine is messed up. It's wrong, and I can't keep going. (OCD kicks in) -> Life sucks. I suck. No point in doing anything any more. I'm just going to eat ice cream for a week. (Depressive)

Wash, rinse, repeat. It was a really rough cycle. I kept losing a few pounds, then gaining a few pounds. I think I'm finally managing to break the cycle now.

That is sooo me also. I tend to beat myself up and I am also pretty OCD. I like my manic phases which aren't extreme. I feel great during that time. But I am mostly depressive. It really sux.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I just want to chime in on medications issue with this: For many people with bipolar, medications are necessary. But they are not the only part of the solution! The meds make it possible to learn to manage emotions. Without them, many of us would have no chance. But, especially for those of us diagnosed later (I was almost 30 by the time I admitted I needed help), we have developed so many unhealthy coping strategies and so many negative mental scripts that counseling and retraining ourselves in healthy thinking habits is essential.
    I haven't seen anyone talk about "just take meds and it's all better" on this thread, but I see it all too often (including with some family members), and had to pipe in.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options

• kahta
    kahta Posts: 3
    Options
    I am so disheartened with this whole dieting thing... oh yeah and I'm type 2 bipolar, mostly depressive but oh those manic days, hu??!!! I swing pretty wildly from binge eating while depressed and not eating at all while manic (I also don't sleep or sit still :P). I am on the ever present med hunt. Seems like everytime I get something that works, it only works for 6 months and my body decides that chemical isn't going to work anymore. I have been on just about everything twice. I hate changing my meds because the endless side effects: drowsiness, hand tremor, suicidal idealation just to name my favorites. Right now I am on Lithium, Lamictal, Seroquel, Ambien CR, Xanax and then steroids for my asthma. Did you know that steroids make you gain weight and can cause manic symptoms in bipolar folks?! yeah... I'm finding it all very hard right now. Though usually its not this bad, I'm just having a rough patch I think. I can't stop trying to loose weight just because my brain is running away with me. My therapist is not as helpful as I'd like and my psychologist just wants to put me on a weight loss drug... the MFT in charge of my group is only concerned with my many thoughts and not my behavior. I want to stop binge eating. I want to eat everyday. I want to loose weight. I want to get to the gym everyday. I want to have the energy to see my friends again. I want my clothes to fit like they did before this course of meds. Sad thing is, these meds are working better than anything else I've tried.

Thanks for listening... i think I just needed a friendly ear. I feel much better now :)
  • eviegirl1
    Options
    I have been unwell for over a month, and just struggling along. I get used to the chaos (ie really disorganised at home) and avoidance (going out or staying in bed, or shopping, binge eating). It all becomes part of normal life to me.

Then my sister said- hey have you told your doctor about this? Then I realised that I need help to get back on track. My kids are tired of the bipolar excuse for things being a shambles around here.

Using tools to help me stay organised are critical at times like these. Like putting in my phone diary that I need to get lunch across to the kids today at 12.30pm. Nice and healthy - pizza!! hmmmm

I use to do lists, but have trouble keeping them realistic.

I need to get my medication system back on track, as I have been going from the boxes lately, and that is just asking for trouble, as I will end up forgetting or doubling up.
  • eviegirl1
    Options
    I write about some bipolar topics in my blog.

If they are of interest to you, you are welcome to subscribe.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I've had a hard couple of weeks as well. My time of month hormones throws my bi polar out of whack. It's harder to control my emotions during that time. Thankfully I put into motion my go to coping skills. I find NOT talking about it helps. I know it's weird. It's a matter of not feeding that wolf. And I make sure to stay on some sort of sleep and activity schedule. But I'll be honest. The best coping mechanism I have is to NOT follow my emotions. I know to not do ANYTHING during those times. I just let them be but don't act on it. It's hard at first. But now I am able to go about my day relatively free of mood swings. I let them happen but don't show them or act upon them. Of course some of the days I just slept in till 4pm. But I seem to be pulling out of it a bit now.
This discussion has been closed.