eggs

My question is how can 2 boiled eggs have less calories than 2 scrambled eggs made without fat?

Replies

• loxety
    loxety Posts: 4 Member
    It's most likely assumed that there will be some oil that's used in the pan for non stick reasons.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    They don't, unless the scrambled egg was made using milk or cooked in oil.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Whaaaat??? This totally floored me, so I checked the USDA food list. All kcals are per 100 grams:
    Egg, whole, cooked, hard-boiled 155 kcals
    Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled 149 kcals
    Egg, whole, cooked, poached 143 kcals
    Egg, whole, raw, fresh 143 kcals

I'm baffled!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    ​They may differ by the stated size of the eggs (such as medium or large), but they don't by weight.

100g Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled = 149 Calories [1]
    100g Egg, whole, cooked, hard-boiled = 155 Calories [2]

References:
    [1] USDA, Basic Report: 01132, Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled, http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/121
    [2] USDA, Basic Report: 01129, Egg, whole, cooked, hard-boiled, http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/118
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    I assumed you go by the measurement of them raw. Didnt realize they have different calories. I like my eggs runny when fried and always questioned if they really are same calories as boiled.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hmmmm. I don't understand it exactly with the eggs but I assume it is because once you break it and cook it, it loses some nutrients and therefore calories through evaporation or residue in the pan maybe that being enclosed in the shell doesn't lose. The amount of heat probably changes the composition, too. The poached is even less calories because of the water carrying away some of the nutrients. I can't figure the raw though.

With a starch it is easier to understand: A baked potato has more calories than a boiled because you are boiling away some of the starch which goes into the water. It must be something like that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I assumed you go by the measurement of them raw. Didnt realize they have different calories. I like my eggs runny when fried and always questioned if they really are same calories as boiled.

the differences would be completely negligible...majoring in the minors.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    threadmad wrote: »
    Whaaaat??? This totally floored me, so I checked the USDA food list. All kcals are per 100 grams:
    Egg, whole, cooked, hard-boiled 155 kcals
    Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled 149 kcals
    Egg, whole, cooked, poached 143 kcals
    Egg, whole, raw, fresh 143 kcals

I'm baffled!

@threadmad these numbers are functionally equal plus they are just guesstimations but should be correct within 10% +/- I expect. In the real world this is a non issue because we are just guessing at the number of calories we need to eat and how many we burn.

Weighing on a good set of scales is the only absolute way we know the net results of our eating, exercise, etc.
  • mrst0
    mrst0 Posts: 8 Member
    gotcha, thanks all, however my fitness pal says there is quite a difference in boiled or scrambled
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2015
    mrst0 wrote: »
    gotcha, thanks all, however my fitness pal says there is quite a difference in boiled or scrambled

It depends on the entry you're looking at. The two I pulled up were equal.

ETA: with user based entries it's going to vary as the size of the eggs used vary from type to type and egg to egg. Still the difference is negligible.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    [quote="threadmad;34316647"

Weighing on a good set of scales is the only absolute way we know the net results of our eating, exercise, etc.

Well, I thought the USDA used a good set of scales, since they list the kcals per 100 grams :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2015
    All measuring tools have a margin of error. If the bomb calorimeter used to measure the calories has an error of +/-5%, a measurement of 100kcals could be anywhere from 95-105 kcals in actuality. 5 kcals difference is really meaningless. Everything is really just an estimate. The only way to really judge is to keep using the same value entries from the database and adjust your intake up or down to match the rate of loss (or gain) you're trying to achieve.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Different size eggs
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    mrst0 wrote: »

That's because many of the entries in the food database are user-submitted and contain errors - some with very significant errors.